News Forum - Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules

Thaiger

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment, including manslaughter charges, for drivers who fail to observe pedestrian crossing rules. According to a Bangkok Post report, 30 members of various road safety networks gathered at Government House to file a petition with Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon, who chairs the national committee on road safety policy and prevention. The move is in response to the death of a Bangkok ophthalmologist as she was using a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road last Friday. Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer, Norawich Buadok. Her death created […]

The story Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Good luck with that one, from what I have seen everybody ignores crossings, they are a hazard to pedestrians. A few years ago there was a Russian lady killed on Sukhumvit road here in South Pattaya, a few months later the crossing was removed.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment, including manslaughter charges, for drivers who fail to observe pedestrian crossing rules. According to a Bangkok Post report, 30 members of various road safety networks gathered at Government House to file a petition with Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon, who chairs the national committee on road safety policy and prevention. The move is in response to the death of a Bangkok ophthalmologist as she was using a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road last Friday. Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer, Norawich Buadok. Her death created […]

The story Calls for tougher punishment for drivers who ignore pedestrian crossing rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Typical, always reactive.   they would not know what it is to be proactive

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

A great idea. 

47 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Typical, always reactive.   they would not know what it is to be proactive

They? 

People have been killed in my city on bikes and sidewalks, crossing the street, and it's very far from Thailand. 

It's only when upper class women or a horrific criminal kills someone it makes the news. Most just die and become a statistic. 

Pedestrian safety gets poor support in lots of cities, maybe even yours.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vince said:

They? 

People have been killed in my city on bikes and sidewalks, crossing the street, and it's very far from Thailand. 

It's only when upper class women or a horrific criminal kills someone it makes the news. Most just die and become a statistic. 

I will just refer to 3 asian countrys where I have/ would feel very safe crossing a a zebra crossing. Japan, Sth Korea and Singapore. I think my country is fine also

"They"  maybe i needed to be clearer Thai authorities.

45 minutes ago, Transam said:

Yesterday I was waiting to cross the road and ALL the traffic stopped, I didn't know what to do

They were waiting for her to get halfway across, ….. giving her a sporting chance!!!

• Haha 1

If you step off the sidewalk into the crossing and continue and notice a car flashing their lights ,be careful! In Thailand it doesn’t always mean the oncoming vehicle is yielding!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

I will just refer to 3 asian countrys where I have/ would feel very safe crossing a a zebra crossing. Japan, Sth Korea and Singapore. I think my country is fine also

Hey, not Vietnam?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

If you step off the sidewalk into the crossing and continue and notice a car flashing their lights ,be careful! In Thailand it doesn’t always mean the oncoming vehicle is yielding!

Ha, ha!

In the UK flashing headlights means I can proceed but it is the complete opposite in Thailand. Flashing lights in Thailand means "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

3 hours ago, Vince said:

They? 

And your city is?

There has to be thought given to the positioning of zebra crossings. Ther are really only suitable for dual carriage ways on lesser roads that have lower traffic flows. Eight lane carriageways like the one pictured should have traffic lights and pedestrian crossing controlled by walk and don't walk signs with timers displayed.

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Road safety advocates are demanding tougher punishment,

Which will be Stringently enforced by Thailands diligent Police Force as they are well versed in every Thai Law.

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

struck by a Ducati bike ridden by off-duty police officer,

Maybe not we’ll versed in every law. 

5 minutes ago, steve860 said:

So come on, where ?

Where I live is not on-topic, sorry. This is not about me. 

That's all I can say, Khun steve860 

818175091_tenor(1).gif.2397682a07b47ee17527788566bc2224.gif

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

What a tossa you are, can't even say where you come from. And don't come the Khun bollox.

2 hours ago, Vince said:

You have pretty much made every topic about you......

Then stop talking about "your city " if you refuse to answer when people ask you what city

It's annoying and retarded 

Either shut up about your city or say where it is 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Thommo said:

Yes I agree @Thommo  it’s utterly ridiculous that you need to spell this out to people. You can have a situation where there are 20,000-25,000 road fatalities a year and the UK has around 1,800-2,500 a year with a similar population. Japan around 4,000 a year with almost twice the population, and yet some people on here try to claim they are both equally poor in road safety. Of course these people are being deliberately provocative. They are either professional trolls paid by forums as clickbait, ignorant people who fail to understand statistics, Thailand lovers who will have nothing said negative about a country they are essentially marooned in, or just plain thick! 

Thailand has many of the same laws as countries with far fewer fatalities. They can introduce another 100 laws and it will make little to no difference. Laws are only effective when you have law enforcers (police), low to no corruption of enforcers and prosecutors and when peer pressure is brought to bear on violators. Little to none of these exist in Thailand. 

646141B3-7487-45B6-97FA-ED26B03D03B1.jpeg

• Like 3