Beer of the week

Andrew Reeve

Me Myself and I have been locked away in a room all day on the computers and now time for several beers.

This weeks winner for me is Chang Beer

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

Interesting, that, Andrew, since Chang is my least favourite of the regular Thai lager/beers. A tad down on taste, I reckon.

Having started, 8 years ago, on Leo, I tried Singha for a while, but found that just a little too sweet - or that was my verdict - and returned to Leo. That was until U-beer was introduced, about 4 years ago, and I found that even better than Leo.

But, for reasons unknown, U-beer soon seemed to loose its edge . . . so it was back to Leo, until, that is, about 2 years ago, M-beer hit the shelves and I really thought that I'd found 'my beer'.

But no, alas, and for the same reason that U-beer lost its appeal, i.e. lack of taste, so did the M-beer about six months ago.

No prize, therefore, for guessing which beer I'm drinking right now. Clue: it begins with 'L'.

• Cool 1

Hi Tjampman and has a big fan of football i stayed up to watch the Denmark and Finland game and was totally shocked and upset to see what unfolded. I am a Tottenham fan and for may years Christian Eriksen played for us and was a maestro in midfield. I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

On the subject of beer I enjoy almost anything but Leo or Chang.  Leo too sweet and don't like Chang's taste too much.  Asahi or almost any Euro beer, especially Paulaner are expensive so I usually drink Archa, it's made with rice, similar to Bud or Asahi, so it's quite dry.

With this booze ban theres pallets of beer going stale in warehouses, incl Makro, as no doubt most Thai's are simply buying at 7-11's for home consumption.  2 BigC's I visited had cases of beer stamped nov'2020 and dec'2020 respectively - that's ridiculous!  And 2 Makro's, obviously better turnover (normally) had March and April stocks. 

No-one buys 3+ month old locally bottled beer unless stored in a coolroom.

I shudder to think how much draft and bottled beer is going to be wasted, disposed of, due to this absurd ban.  And how many businesses will have gone broke in the process.

• Cool 3

• 4 weeks later...

Usually drink MyBeer, it's fairly tasteless but with plenty of ice & manao, it becomes palatable.

Tried the cold brew Chang at first, it was quite nice. Now however, it has a dreadful pungent smell & tastes 'orrible.

Bud is my preferred beer here, but something seems up with it. Virtually flat, darker than normal & doesn't taste like Bud.

Oh for a pint of Guinness...?

4 hours ago, Faraday said:

Usually drink MyBeer, it's fairly tasteless but with plenty of ice & manao, it becomes palatable.

Tried the cold brew Chang at first, it was quite nice. Now however, it has a dreadful pungent smell & tastes 'orrible.

Bud is my preferred beer here, but something seems up with it. Virtually flat, darker than normal & doesn't taste like Bud.

Oh for a pint of Guinness...?

MyBeer - that a Singha produced beer? What's it's attraction?

Talking of which, I see Leo produce a beer called Leo 8. They market it as a special beer in the hope they'll attract the gullible. Leo is 5% ABV and Leo 8 is sold as a 'strong beer' - which it is at 5.1% ABV. It's not quite a lie, but it is pushing it bit.

For me when I get the chance I go for Dark Beer Laos at 6.5% ABV. I think it's the best beer in the region, even if the Thai Customs dept are cheating by still charging import duty on it.
Import duty was supposed to have been abolished for trade between Asean member countries. Technically Thai Customs did abolish the import duty, but the next day replaced it with something called 'special tax' that was exactly the same rate.

The  Guinness: I'm guessing you buy cans of it, as opposed to drinking draught Guinness in a bar?

The draught Guinness sold here is brewed in KL, in Malaysia. As someone who likes Guinness too, I think it's 'OK'. The Guinness in the UK I think is better.
I only ever went to Dublin once, to do a job. That Guinness was 'pure heaven', really smooth and creamy.

Sorry for waffling on.

2 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

MyBeer - that a Singha produced beer? What's it's attraction?

Talking of which, I see Leo produce a beer called Leo 8. They market it as a special beer in the hope they'll attract the gullible. Leo is 5% ABV and Leo 8 is sold as a 'strong beer' - which it is at 5.1% ABV. It's not quite a lie, but it is pushing it bit.

For me when I get the chance I go for Dark Beer Laos at 6.5% ABV. I think it's the best beer in the region, even if the Thai Customs dept are cheating by still charging import duty on it.
Import duty was supposed to have been abolished for trade between Asean member countries. Technically Thai Customs did abolish the import duty, but the next day replaced it with something called 'special tax' that was exactly the same rate.

The  Guinness: I'm guessing you buy cans of it, as opposed to drinking draught Guinness in a bar?

The draught Guinness sold here is brewed in KL, in Malaysia. As someone who likes Guinness too, I think it's 'OK'. The Guinness in the UK I think is better.
I only ever went to Dublin once, to do a job. That Guinness was 'pure heaven', really smooth and creamy.

Sorry for waffling on.

The Guinness in Dublin is excellent, anywhere else less so....personal taste but I don't know anyone can drink it ice cold. Two-thirds poured sitting on a car in Dublin, topped up when ordered  -  perfect.

Having settled here I initially opted for LEO (Chang was 6.4% abv and headache material). Discarded Singha, Archa, Tiger and several others not being to my taste. Moved to Chang when it dropped to 5% abv.

Moved away again after successfully winning an ongoing battle with anorexia..... I needed to check the calorie content LEO is one of the first. Singha Light became a favourite (around 97 calories, nice taste) - then the b4stards changed it and brought out the crap My Beer (many Thais still think it is Singha Light).

Liked Tiger Light, calories 115...... then San Miguel brought out "zero".... not zero at all, 3% abv and only 60 calaries.

I calculated that I could have 3 pints of Thatchers Gold = 600 calories. For approx the same calorific content I can have 5.5 Tiger Lights or 10 San Mig Zero........ I tend to choose the latter option.

NB.. drinking is all about personal tatse - the above is mine.

15 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I love a 'cool' Guinness (or Kilkenny).  Pretty much out of stock everywhere in Thailand I think.

Laos Dark is very good but my regular quaffing brew is *cough* Archa.  I like a dry lager beer and it's similar to Bud or Asahi, brewed with rice.

1 hour ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Wish I could buy it here.

Many years ago, I used to support a subsidiary in Dublin of the company I was working for.

We'd go to visit customers all over the South, it was a lot of fun, & the quantity of Guinness we drank: Legendary!

Perhaps, one day, I post about the Nurses - real ones, dancing on the table! 

An awesome time....

Regarding MyBeer...well it's the best of a bad bunch.

Ain't saying much though...

• Like 1

I like both equally

Arrgh! Sorry just fantasizing 

I drink Singha here when i drink beer sadly the best of a very bad job here

WP_20180611_004.jpg

WP_20180615_001.jpg

I think lots of places will have to throw away their beers stock past it's use by date, a few weeks ago I forgot to stock up so I walked up the soi to the shop and bought a couple of bottles, I was suffering the following day I didn't go back to the shop to tell her she needs to throw it away just wont buy any ever from there.

Make my own lager,bitter and stout lovely stuff. Also fruit wines but they take longer to make.

Beer 5% to 8%. Wines 15% to 18% ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stuhan said:

Make my own lager,bitter and stout lovely stuff. Also fruit wines but they take longer to make.

Where do you get supplies from? 
I made beer in Aus for about 7 years also cider.  Pure tassie apple juice + champagne yeast and it was superb!

• Like 1

There are many in thailand  and they have mostly everything you need,but for my beers i use alcofermbrew.com they have a much better choice,reasonable prices and shipping charges.You can't beat having a plentiful supply of beers on hand at a fraction of the cost,easy to make ready in 2-3 weeks.Thai's don't mind you making it for yourself as long as your not selling it. Cost wise i can buy a 40 pint kit between 700-2000bht all you need is simple equipment,water and sugar,the yeast comes in the kits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Where do you get supplies from? 
I made beer in Aus for about 7 years also cider.  Pure tassie apple juice + champagne yeast and it was superb!

See my other post

Edited by stuhan

8 minutes ago, stuhan said:

See my other post

You must have posted while I was still writing.

Do AlcoFermBrew ship from Poland to Thailand and what are the fees, roughly?  I see my old favourite's, Coopers from Australia, but the prices are 300% higher.  Must check for Aussie direct supply.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

You must have posted while I was still writing.

Do AlcoFermBrew ship from Poland to Thailand and what are the fees, roughly?  I see my old favourite's, Coopers from Australia, but the prices are 300% higher.  Must check for Aussie direct supply.

Yes they ship worldwide,cost depends on weight, example 3x 40 pint kits[5kg]  standard shipping 800bht--express tracked 900bht.If you find a good supplier in OZ  let me know please.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, stuhan said:

Which lager kit do you use from AlcoFerm?

45 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi @stuhan, What mark out of 10 would you give to Coopers Brew Kit-Irish Stout?

Thank you

Ease of making 8

Abv % I make mine 6-7%  depends on sugar you add 1kg= appx 4.5% I use 1.5kg

Good taste dark creamy head   8

Overall score recommended  9

Use a hydrometer cheap to buy on lazada and invaluable

All equipment can buy on lazada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1