Meat loaf

poohy

Never understood his popularity …..near zero ability, just charisma & fortunate  connection with writer, massive achievements though… RIP

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Zero ability ? Bat out of Hell grossed millions of $$$ and became one of the longest chart albums of all time, numerous hits include Grammy winner for Dead ringer for love with Cher. The main songwriter was infact Jim Steinman wrote most of the hits for Meatloaf. Zero Ability ?? stick to Hank Williams Oldtimer. RIP the big Man.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Whilst I liked many of his songs, I still always remember him best as "Eddie" in the film version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, when he rode his motorcycle out of "deep freeze" and sang "Hot Patootie".

Gets my mind dancing when I think of that. Great movie and great song!

RIP

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Never understood his popularity …..near zero ability, just charisma & fortunate  connection with writer, massive achievements though… RIP

Rubbish singer who will no doubt be described as an icon, role model and probably a genius a well. One popular song by a sweaty fat bloke!

2 hours ago, poohy said:

Very sad news another icon gone!

Yes sad news and RIP 

Icon?  Ok,  yes well known and successful to a point, but not really on the same level as many other musical icons that have passed recently IMO.  Great singer, great performer, not a composer or lyrisist that I know of though

Charlie Watts was an icon.  David Bowie was an icon. Tom Petty, Prince, Whitney Houston, etc...

20 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Rubbish singer who will no doubt be described as an icon, role model and probably a genius a well. One popular song by a sweaty fat bloke!

One of the best selling artists worldwide with over 80 million album sales and a Grammy, suggests he did well with what he had. Seems others may have liked him based on his sales.

Genius...no.    Role Model...no.      Icon...No.     Sweaty fat bloke....yes!

His voice deteriorated in later years. But at his peak he had a powerful voice with a wide vocal range and he made the best of what he had. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Yes sad news and RIP 

Icon?  Ok,  yes well known and successful to a point, but not really on the same level as many other musical icons that have passed recently IMO.  Great singer, great performer, not a composer or lyrisist that I know of though

Charlie Watts was an icon.  David Bowie was an icon. Tom Petty, Prince, Whitney Houston, etc...

You were doing well until Whitney Houston......

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Yes sad news and RIP 

Two were hopeless drug addicts and one a pedo, Watts was a decent sort, hardly an icon though

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

You were doing well until Whitney Houston......

Huh?

Easily one of the best female singers of all time, and you could argue the best......

Her music is still massively popular 

And it may not mean much to non-Americans

But she literally performed an "iconic " version of the Star Spangled Banner that most consider the best rendition ever 

That performance is the definition of "iconic"

Meatloaf I never cared for but I appreciate that he was popular 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Huh?

Easily one of the best female singers of all time, and you could argue the best......

Her music is still massively popular 

And it may not mean much to non-Americans

But she literally performed an "iconic " version of the Star Spangled Banner that most consider the best rendition ever 

That performance is the definition of "iconic"

Meatloaf I never cared for but I appreciate that he was popular 

So is the miming icon Madonna's. And the plastic 'Lady' Gaga. No thanks.

Music is like perfume. Smells different to various people.

Just now, Poolie said:

So is the miming icon Madonna's. And the plastic 'Lady' Gaga. No thanks.

I hate Madonna

Well I liked her when she came out but not for many years now

But I would say she is an icon as well

We all have different tastes in music 

Many great artists that aren't our style....

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

I hate Madonna

Well I liked her when she came out but not for many years now

But I would say she is an icon as well

We all have different tastes in music 

Many great artists that aren't our style....

What changed your mind? Was it the iconic 'Holiday' or the classic 'Like A Virgin?'

2 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Ignorant and stupid comment 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Yes sad news and RIP 

Your opinion and your opinion only out of te abov i would only rate Tom petty the others  nah

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

If this is reflects the tastes and  type of people here i am off back to thai visa 

3 hours ago, vlad said:

Zero ability ? Bat out of Hell grossed millions of $$$ and became one of the longest chart albums of all time, numerous hits include Grammy winner for Dead ringer for love with Cher. The main songwriter was infact Jim Steinman wrote most of the hits for Meatloaf. Zero Ability ?? stick to Hank Williams Oldtimer. RIP the big Man.

Yeah. I get he was somehow popular & sold records to the masses.

20 minutes ago, poohy said:

Your opinion and your opinion only out of te abov i would only rate Tom petty the others  nah

“ I would rate “ …..nobody cares …. Prince & Bowie were generational musical geniuses , like Mozart. Singers / Writers / Virtuoso Instrumentalists. No comparison with a lucky journeyman pub singer who couldn’t write or play any instruments. 

25 minutes ago, poohy said:

If this is reflects the tastes and  type of people here i am off back to thai visa 

Meat Loaf fans having “taste” 😂🤣 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, poohy said:

Dont let the door hit you on the rrsss on the way out

Meatloaf did best on stage - his live shows were the best thing about him - he was a genuine entertainer and threw everything he had into the show. Not my favourite songs - but he was a great on stage for a short period. Unfortunately he took too many 'additional' substances and he deteriorated badly - but he was a 'bright star' that lit up things for a few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Transam said:

I keep reading there is a Covid to his departure. Now Meat was a bit of an anti in the Covid department, so I wait for more info on that.

PS. Slagging the bloke off here is a bit OTT, as he has just passed on, if you didn't like his stuff, fine, just leave it. 🥴

Unsubstantiated, but reports in the media are emerging that he did have Covid (unknown if vaccinated or not):

Meat Loaf Dead at 74 from COVID (tmz.com)  https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/21/meat-loaf-dead-dies-singer/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Happy to show off one of my albums, I bought this LP last year and played it for the first time tonight, was a pain, getting the record player set up and the dread of hearing a scratch, but no, it played perfectly. If I can give anyone some of my personal advice about buying classic albums? Start with the ones you used to own and lost over the years, or the ones that bring back those fun memories.

IMG_20220404_012712.jpg