Question on visa extension and notification form for host

Hi, 

We were trying to get a 30/60 day visa extension for our visa on arrival and went to the immigration in Jomtien. 

Now they gave us a form for the notification of the house owner and when we tried to get it verified at the counter we failed to reach the owner, so they denied it. Sadly, because of an unfortunate language barrier, we didn't fully get the whole process and it said that this document is for a 90 day notification. 

They told us to return on Monday again. 

So our question: Does anyone have experience with this process? Is this form a requirement for our extension? Because we didn't read about it anywhere before. We have all the other documents ready. 

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nils said:

So our question: Does anyone have experience with this process? Is this form a requirement for our extension? Because we didn't read about it anywhere before. We have all the other documents ready. 

You need a completed TM30 with signed copies of the landlord/owners Tabien Baan and ID card.
TM30-Notification of alien residence.pdf

There is a requirement to submit notification of a foreigners place of residence as per section 38 of Thailand's Immigration Act. It can be submitted by yourself as the tenant or the landlord/owner.
Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
Section 4.: “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) ENG.pdf 

37 minutes ago, Nils said:

We were trying to get a 30/60 day visa extension for our visa on arrival and went to the immigration in Jomtien. 

You didn't get a Visa on arrival, you entered without a Visa (Visa exempt) and were granted a stay of 30 days on entry. Your attempting to extend that permission of stay. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeV said:

The visa vs exemption is really just symantics.

It's the point you can't extend a Visa I was making and you certainly can't extend a Visa you never obtained in the first instance.

Whether you entered without or with a Visa and the type of Visa makes all the difference when giving advice.

• Like 1

I am sorry about the confusion, I was actually not even aware of the difference to be honest. 

So I guess what we want to do is extend the visa exception. 

Now we talked to our Airbnb and they say for the information we need to submit our TM30, we will have to pay them 1600 baht.

In a similar post I read the advice to book a hotel a day before the extension, where they actually follow the rules. 

Can you guys give me your thoughts on this? Do you think it's possible to file an extension request using a TM30 from the night before? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nils said:

I am sorry about the confusion, I was actually not even aware of the difference to be honest. 

So I guess what we want to do is extend the visa exception. 

Now we talked to our Airbnb and they say for the information we need to submit our TM30, we will have to pay them 1600 baht.

In a similar post I read the advice to book a hotel a day before the extension, where they actually follow the rules. 

Can you guys give me your thoughts on this? Do you think it's possible to file an extension request using a TM30 from the night before? 

The problem your encountering is because your staying Airbnb and renting from the agent, not directly from the home owner. Requesting 1600 BHT for signed copies of the home owners TB and ID card is taking the p***. Your other option is to stay in a hotel and request a copy of the TM30 that they should file. 

Airbnb's in my opinion are fine for short stays, within 30 days, but not if you need to visit an Immigration office to extend your stay, then you'll encounter problems you are now discovering.

Your choice to pay the 1600, or book a hotel for a day or two, to get that TM30 filed.
You may also be fined for late submission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Faz, 

I think we're gonna book a hotel than, because I really don't want to support that hosts actions... You're right, we should have booked something different, but we really didn't know about any of this. I don't think it's a topic the average tourist knows about or we were just really blind 😅

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nils said:

You're right, we should have booked something different, but we really didn't know about any of this. I don't think it's a topic the average tourist knows about or we were just really blind 😅

Many private Thai home owners that rent propertied don't even know about it!

This is what forums such as this are for, information.
Personally I'd like to see more join before they travel to Thailand and ask are there any specifics they should be aware of, unfortunately, many join only when once in Thailand and encounter a problem.

At least your better inform now, understand the problem and know how to resolve your issue.
Good luck.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Faz said:

Many private Thai home owners that rent propertied don't even know about it!

This is what forums such as this are for, information.
Personally I'd like to see more join before they travel to Thailand and ask are there any specifics they should be aware of, unfortunately, many join only when once in Thailand and encounter a problem.

At least your better inform now, understand the problem and know how to resolve your issue.
Good luck.

Thank you! 

I agree this forum is gold ❤️

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:17 PM, MikeV said:

The visa vs exemption is really just symantics.

not really to get the right information you have to supply accurate  information, ie

visa on arrival- obtained on arriva (2,000thb)l to passport holder from19 counties only, and a 14 day permission to stay stamp is given, which can be  extended by 7 days at local immigration offices.

visa exempt issued on arrival (free) to passport holder from 64 countries, giving a 30 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, this stamp can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 thb at local immigration offices.

tourist visa obtained outside of Thailand and gives a 60 day permission to stay stamp on arrival,  this stamp can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 thb at local immigration offices.

5 hours ago, cockneyboy said:

visa exempt issued on arrival (free) to passport holder from 64 countries, giving a 30 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, this stamp can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 thb at local immigration offices.

tourist visa obtained outside of Thailand and gives a 60 day permission to stay stamp on arrival,  this stamp can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 thb at local immigration offices.

If you have a Thai family/spouse, you can extend the 30 or 60 day permission of stay by a further 60 days.

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, Faz said:

If you have a Thai family/spouse, you can extend the 30 or 60 day permission of stay by a further 60 days.

you can do the normal 30 day extension followed by a 60 day extension in your circumstances 

• Like 1

We arrived at the hotel and they say they can only register stays for over 15 days?

Is there new rules or they misunderstood us? 

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nils said:

We arrived at the hotel and they say they can only register stays for over 15 days?

Is there new rules or they misunderstood us? 

Update: we had called the hotel that wants us to stay 15 days before and they said they will file the form, so we had booked it. When we showed up they told us they wouldn't file the form after all and will only do it if we book 15 days for 6000baht.

At this point I just walked to another hotel and asked them if they file TM30. They said they won't. So I walked to another, and got the same response. On my 4th (!) attempt I found a hotel that said they can help us tomorrow. 

I'm very curious if they'll stay true to their word. This situation is crazy 😅

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nils said:

Update: we had called the hotel that wants us to stay 15 days before and they said they will file the form, so we had booked it. When we showed up they told us they wouldn't file the form after all and will only do it if we book 15 days for 6000baht.

At this point I just walked to another hotel and asked them if they file TM30. They said they won't. So I walked to another, and got the same response. On my 4th (!) attempt I found a hotel that said they can help us tomorrow. 

I'm very curious if they'll stay true to their word. This situation is crazy 😅

They also informed us that they only file it for longer stays. So I guess we will pay our landlords the 1600 baht