News Forum - Thai airlines pin their hopes on government resuming Test & Go

Thaiger

The president of the Airlines Association of Thailand says the government must allow the Test & Go entry scheme to resume as soon as possible. The scheme was recently suspended as the Omicron Covid-19 variant spread rapidly across the globe. Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, who is also the boss of Bangkok Airways, says the scheme was working well, attracting more foreign visitors to the kingdom, and airlines are anxious to see it rebooted. According to a Bangkok Post report, Puttipong says the government needs to assess the severity of Omicron and resume Test & Go based on the number of serious infections. […]

The story Thai airlines pin their hopes on government resuming Test & Go as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The president of the Airlines Association of Thailand says the government must allow the Test & Go entry scheme to resume as soon as possible. The scheme was recently suspended as the Omicron Covid-19 variant spread rapidly across the globe. Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth, who is also the boss of Bangkok Airways, says the scheme was working well, attracting more foreign visitors to the kingdom, and airlines are anxious to see it rebooted. According to a Bangkok Post report, Puttipong says the government needs to assess the severity of Omicron and resume Test & Go based on the number of serious infections. […]

The story Thai airlines pin their hopes on government resuming Test & Go as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More lobbying for T&G resumption from another heavy hitter

That's a positive sign 

I bet they will reinstate it 

• Like 1

Just now, Marc26 said:

More lobbying for T&G resumption from another heavy hitter

That's a positive sign 

I bet they will reinstate it 

You can bet on it.

13 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Now that we are two weeks out from NYE, there should be a drop in cases. New York is down 48% from previous week.

Yes just like South Africa and UK

The chart is straight up and almost straight down 

"Omicron variant due to it causing milder illness in vaccinated people" Ha! Omicron variant causes milder illness, irrespective of vaccination status, period.

23 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Now that we are two weeks out from NYE, there should be a drop in cases. New York is down 48% from previous week.

Africa saw a massive peak and drop with their omicron. 

I'm optimistic too.

2022 is gonna be awesome :-) 

8 minutes ago, vvdb.fr said:

Even asymptomatic people have problems with COVID.

We must stop thinking only of saturation of hospitals.

It is the illness that is important.

And I'm not talking about the long COVID...

https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehab914/6499078

There is a fundamental problem with the statement that someone who has no symptoms of CV19 has a "problem with Covid". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

While I certainly hope this happens and T&G can resume, but any suggestion that Omicron is somehow a mild variant that can be brushed aside or ignored is patently unwise. Even if I just look at my home state of Queensland in Australia (you might want to have a look at what's happening in Australia...it's what is about to happen in Thailand), real time stats show that an unvaccinated person is 24 times more likely to end up in ICU on a ventilator than a vaccinated person. (Stats taken and publicised today by the Chief Health Officer... google it if you have any doubt). This is based on real time stats today. The same is reflected in all states of Australia. It includes PCR and Rapid antigen tests, which positive cases must register on the government website and are included in the daily case totals. In case you may think that all available tests are not registered, it's reasonable to expect the trend is the same. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

While I certainly hope this happens and T&G can resume, but any suggestion that Omicron is somehow a mild variant that can be brushed aside or ignored is patently unwise. Even if I just look at my home state of Queensland in Australia (you might want to have a look at what's happening in Australia...it's what is about to happen in Thailand), real time stats show that an unvaccinated person is 24 times more likely to end up in ICU on a ventilator than a vaccinated person. (Stats taken and publicised today by the Chief Health Officer... google it if you have any doubt). This is based on real time stats today. The same is reflected in all states of Australia. It includes PCR and Rapid antigen tests, which positive cases must register on the government website and are included in the daily case totals. In case you may think that all available tests are not registered, it's reasonable to expect the trend is the same. 

It's a bloody cold basically.... even a cold can end up killing some people....stop trying to sanitze and protect the whole world

• Thanks 1

Ok.... you won't get a vaccine...you won't wear a mask either presumably. Good on you for exersizing your right not to get vaccinated or wear a mask. Now if you could just sign a disclaimer that you also direct that in the event you become infected, that no medical assistance be rendered to you, even if you are severely infected and need ICU care or a ventilator. After all, it's just a cold, so you won't need any medical help to get over it. I hate to think that you would occupy a hospital bed, when others who did follow medical advice, couldn't get emergency care because of you. 

What we have here is Captain A. J. Smith (Captain of RMS Titanic). Only this time, he doesn't get a warning just before impact with the iceberg, he gets the warning a whole month before. But he still ignores it!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

So get the vaccine then. Everyone has had the chance by now I think. If you can't for medical reasons for enough, but if you just don't want to then be prepared to stay at home or get sick. Got no sympathy by now

18 hours ago, Robosibbo said:

It's a bloody cold basically.... even a cold can end up killing some people....stop trying to sanitze and protect the whole world

Good to acknowledge that bit of common sense.  It's not the cold or flu bug that kills you directly, rather, immune system deficiencies exacerbated by other medical conditions, age, etc.

As a kid, when you got a common cold or a flu bug, fever, etc., your Mother made you stay home from school because you felt badly, but moreover, an ingrained sense of collective, civic duty to prevent you from spreading it to others.   That's what responsible, mature adults do.   If she sent you to school anyway, you'd be sent home by school staff, and in my day, that Mother would get a phone call from the headmaster asking what her bloody problem is. 

That kind of character is sadly lacking among the most ardent strain of antivax muppets, and internet numpties who wear their immature ignorance like a blue collar badge of honour, issuing unqualified, overly simplified opinion based on a medical degree they got from the back of a breakfast cereal box. 

The internet, while wonderful and useful in so many ways, unfortunately provides a platform for the worst among us to spew their virus.  Vast majority have the maturity to resist it, but there are far too many among us with compromised mental immune systems who contract it, and spread it to others.  Reminds me of HIV/AIDS when it first got going, and we've yet to develop a condom for the internet. 

On 1/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

There is a fundamental problem with the statement that someone who has no symptoms of CV19 has a "problem with Covid". 

You are missing out on all the possibilities - maybe it reduces hand-eye motor coordination (Splatoon 2 scores go down)?

Maybe it impacts their sense of smell and taste (unable to discern THB5000 rosé from THB1500 zinfandel)? 

Maybe they lose sense of direction (they wander into Nana plaza thinking they are going to Soi Cowboy)? 

I mean this could be serious.

• Haha 1