Motorcycle (full size) rental?

Dezmo

Interested (possibly when easier to get back into Thailand) to rent a full size motorcycle (e.g., Honda Africa Twin or something similar with luggage) to maybe tour around for a week or 2.   No itinerary yet...

I tried to do some searches but just find moped rentals.  Thinking I may start from Pattaya (so so avoid Bangkok and also adjust a few days before start).

I had completed a guided tour with Big Bike Tours in Chiang Mai a few years ago so maybe that may be a better place to start (and maybe ask them too).

Thx

Not sure whether you will find the (beautiful!) Africa Twin or not, but there are many large bikes for rent in Pattaya. Beach Road, just a little south (Walking Street direction) of Center Shopping Mall (called Center Mall, or Central Mall? Not sure)

• Like 1

Firstly - IMO - dont do this - but if you do, then dont do it by yourself and without learning things.

Thailand roads are extremely dangerous for inexperienced bike riders. I dont mean inexperience riding bike bikes, I mean riding on Thailand roads.  I have ridden more miles on big bikes than 99% of people in Australia - I have also raced around most tracks in NSW and VIC.  When I rode a bike in Thailand (being mid-50s first time) it was after having driven a car for almost a year - even then I was not prepared for how it goes - it is unbelievable and extremely dangerous. Now I rarely ever throw a leg over in Thailand (just a local scooter zip around), but I have absolutely no problem in Australia - no more sports bikes though :classic_sad:. A younger guy who knows the ropes should be fine - but if you dont know the ropes it doesnt matter how old you are.  

If you must, then try to find a local rider's club and go with them for some rides. Have a chat about things once you get there - they will tell you what and when and where and why and how.  Once you 'know' - then and only then, go for that long ride - preferably with someone else (safety in numbers). Here is one - never ride in early morning or late afternoon near larger towns - that is when many local Thais drive home drunk and they are just ridiculous - that was all stamped out in the west 50 years ago.

Bangkok has plenty of big bike rental places - and riding in Bangkok is safer than when out on the open road. And Bangkok is a good starting point for a bike ride, and where you will come back to anyway.

Get travel medical insurance that specifically covers riding a big motorbike - most dont.  Having an accident in Thailand is one thing, but getting 'repaired' and then having top pay a huge hospital bill is another.

Find a big bike riders club and meet with them (they are all mostly Expats). Buy them a beer and they will tell you all about it.  Actually - it will take a lot longer than just one beer.

Thanks.  I rode 10 days in Thailand (mostly northern) and decades all over the world.  I hate traffic and prefer the open back roads so I wanted to avoid starting in Bangkok.   I'll keep looking.