Thai Death

GMoney2312

Sadness to announce my Thai Father In Law passing tonight. The community support is amazing. Everyone comes together to make it more of a celebration of life than a death. I was truly impressed.

IMG_1567.jpg

9 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Sadness to announce my Thai Father In Law passing tonight. The community support is amazing. Everyone comes together to make it more of a celebration of life than a death. I was truly impressed.

IMG_1567.jpg

Sorry to hear. Yeah it’s a tough one but can be a fun one in an odd way. Seka Area is a good area for that too. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss, it is a difficult time, I know. 

My fil & mil both died over the last five years; a sad, horrible time. 

Yes, there is the celebration of life, rather than the miserable time when my father died in the UK.

Good luck being patient with the music....you'll see, or rather hear what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

He had diabetes and was suffering hard this last year. 

Sorry to hear that Greg.
I've read a lot that diabetes is on the increase dramatically in Thailand.

I am learning a lot of traditions about the Thai Funeral process. The Tents and all the chairs comes from the Village for only 500 Bath. They set it up this morning in a flash. I made a lot of new friends last night as I passed out my remaining 12 cigars after only enjoying 3 of them. And that booze in the bucket is deadly. 

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 12:29 AM, GMoney2312 said:

I am learning a lot of traditions about the Thai Funeral process. The Tents and all the chairs comes from the Village for only 500 Bath. They set it up this morning in a flash. I made a lot of new friends last night as I passed out my remaining 12 cigars after only enjoying 3 of them. And that booze in the bucket is deadly. 

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

Is it for drinking or do you eat in the tent or something like a sermon or prayers?

Is it just beer in the bottles?

Do Thais smoke cigars for funerals ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vince said:

Is it for drinking or do you eat in the tent or something like a sermon or prayers?

It's Thailand 

Everything is always for eating   😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Tents for eating-Monks do show up around 4 pm last two days and do some prayers inside where the body is. People gather inside that want to pray along.

Those bottles are a rice whiskey.

Thais do not smoke cigars in this village (non to be found anyway), only if I have them and give them away for free.

My wife to a funeral on Tuesday and on her return she walked straight past me without even looking at me, I thought 'what have I done now'. Anyway it turns out that if they have been to a funeral that they have to wash their faces before they talk to anyone.

A new one on me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

My wife to a funeral on Tuesday and on her return she walked straight past me without even looking at me, I thought 'what have I done now'. Anyway it turns out that if they have been to a funeral that they have to wash their faces before they talk to anyone.

A new one on me.

I've not heard that of either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vince said:

{snipped}

If you drank that evil Thai Lao Khao like you'd drink beer, you would be high up on the list of upcoming funerals.

45 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

A new one on me.

Reminds me of the old saying 'wash your mouth out with soap'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

If you drank that evil Thai Lao Khao like you'd drink beer, you would be high up on the list of upcoming funerals.

It's 100 proof rice whisky? My guess it's not smoothly aged in oak barrels with hints of smoke, peat, and a light caramel finish? :-) 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Vince said:

It's 100 proof rice whisky? My guess it's not smoothly aged in oak barrels with hints of smoke, peat, and a light caramel finish? :-) 

I'd think it's more likely aged in a rice cooker with hints of fish sauce. 🤣

• Haha 3

Sorry for the family. Couple of points I have made to my family for my inevitable  demise:

no monks, no religion, no singing, no chants 

no temple, apart from the burning bit 

no crying

no fuss

drinking and eating okay

nobody invited that I didn't know and like, so no hangers on 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry for the family. Couple of points I have made to my family for my inevitable  demise:

no monks, no religion, no singing, no chants 

no temple, apart from the burning bit 

no crying

no fuss

drinking and eating okay

nobody invited that I didn't know and like, so no hangers on 

While I like your idea, I can't see how the 'no hangers on' rule could be enforced here?
Would it involve 'security' on the door, checking invitations?

• Haha 2

RIP your father in law.

The Lao Khao is actually not whisky at all but a white spirit distilled from rice.

Hong Thong looks more like whisky but is more of a rum based on molasses.

I've yet to come accross a real Thai whisky.

• Like 1