News Forum - Khao Yai hotel threatens 3 million baht lawsuit over negative review

Thaiger

A lot of years ago i worked as a hotel porter in the OLD England Hotel in Bowness on Windermere. Those day's it was a 5 star Hotel so service was like the Savoy in London. On New years Eve we had a full Restaurant and the Guests were paying a hefty price to stay. On the night, prior to service there was a power cut and the Entire Town of Bowness was plunged into darkness only the Emergency lighting came on.  I had to tell guests what the problem was  and was amazed when one said " Me and my wife have paid a lot of money for this Evening We did not expect this service " I told him Sir there has been a power cut to which he replied I will be complaining to the management as this is not acceptable. I had to walk away before i threw the pair of them in Lake Windermere. The moral of the story is people will always moan about service but this Hotel in Nakhon Rat which has not been named is shooting themselves in there foot and if it was named there business would end. They just don't realize guests put tea on there table and word would get out to give this hotel a wide berth. There quick to threaten a law suit and expect us to beg forgiveness every day for 7 day's what a cheek. Name and shame this Hotel.

• Like 1

Agoda was the website, they should be prosecuted for giving information about an anonymous rating. it will be the last time i use that company.

• Like 3

Possibly slightly off topic but for the past year I have noticed that every time I do a review on Lazada when it's not a 5 on any of the heading I get "opps, something went wrong!" Could it be that Lazada is protecting me from my big mouth and what's the point of ever reviewing anything here in LOS?

IMHO I believe travel sites that encourage making honest reviews require that hotels and restaurants to sign a contract that stipulates that they are not allowed to to sue their reviewers and if they do not agree to sign this then they are not allowed to advertise their place of business on the site!

Problem solved!

I also believe these sites should be help responsible for any lawsuit against any reviewer and pay for the defense of said reviewers. I don't believe that Agoda's disclaimer/note on this hotels page relieves them of any responsibility to their reviewers.

• Like 2

Here's an idea... let the FREE market sort itself out. No government intervention required. The problem with this idea I have discovered is, many people don't really know how to be free and if they are honest with themselves are in fact afraid to be truly free. Being born with a surrogate parent called government, we unconsciously want for our slavery, we want to be taken care of. 

• Like 1

you can see they have not a clue about anything, regarding a bad review, you should speak to the client and listen to it and improve it, what they do is digging their grave, BRAINLESS it is easy to hire some people for a few 100 bath to place some bad reviews to make them go down they asking for it, so pathetic...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Here's an idea... let the FREE market sort itself out. No government intervention required. The problem with this idea I have discovered is, many people don't really know how to be free and if they are honest with themselves are in fact afraid to be truly free. Being born with a surrogate parent called government, we unconsciously want for our slavery, we want to be taken care of. 

Yes, quite novel.

8 hours ago, Paco said:

Release the name of the hotel, so they can learn not to mess around

Tsunami of negative reviews incoming.... 

• Haha 1

I did own a 150 seat Thai restaurant in England for twenty two years, we received very few negative reviews but many of them were simply just stupid and there was nothing I could do about it.

Example1, "The spring rolls were of very poor quality as they did not have enough pork or other meat".

I do not know any traditional spring rolls which contain meat including the ones we served, plus they were advertised as vegetarian on the menu. 

Example2, "The food was not spicy enough and did not taste the same as the food I have eaten in Issan".

We advertised our restaurant as serving Bangkok style food.

I do not agree with the steps the hotel in this case is taking but there should be a way of getting ridiculous comments off such websites as any nutter can write anything they like. 

But to use an old English phrase and pun, the proof was in the pudding and we were almost always full over a twenty two year period.

• Like 2

I know the Thai educational system is way behind modern society but, they need to learn a quote in life that I learned in 1st grade.  "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but Words will never hurt me" Everyone has their own opinion. Especially if they pay their hard earned dollars at your  business.  And the Thai government must protect their tourist opinions or they won't come back. 

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I know the Thai educational system is way behind modern society but, they need to learn a quote in life that I learned in 1st grade.  "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but Words will never hurt me" Everyone has their own opinion. Especially if they pay their hard earned dollars at your  business.  And the Thai government must protect their tourist opinions or they won't come back. 

Sorry Ronnie, they dont teach that anymore to 1st graders. Now they teach them equality and diversity and acceptance. They teach them that everyone's opinion is correct, and that everyone deserves to be heard and must be listened to.  They are taught that everyone has the right to be selected in the team - it is not about competing to win, and accepting being beaten, and learning our individual strengths and limitations - it is all about participation (or you are a Fascist). They are not taught anymore to 'suck it up Princess' - they are taught that 'Johnny can be a Princess too and we all must accept and respect her decision' (or you are a Sexist). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Unfortunately that old saying is bollocks.

• Haha 1

6/10 is not a negative review in my book but rather a tick above neutral. I have no idea what Thai math considers as non- negative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Sorry Ronnie, they dont teach that anymore to 1st graders. Now they teach them equality and diversity and acceptance. They teach them that everyone's opinion is correct, and that everyone deserves to be heard and must be listened to.  They are taught that everyone has the right to be selected in the team - it is not about competing to win, and accepting being beaten, and learning our individual strengths and limitations - it is all about participation (or you are a Fascist). They are not taught anymore to 'suck it up Princess' - they are taught that 'Johnny can be a Princess too and we all must accept and respect her decision' (or you are a Sexist). 

facts.

and the upcoming generation is supposed to lead the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it pretty much sums up the hotel standards and level of intelligence really doesnt it. Is 6 out 10 such an insult, its still above average!!! 

Crazy Thailand for even allowing this sort of stupidity and to let it even become news!!! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, anarchofarmer said:

Possibly slightly off topic but for the past year I have noticed that every time I do a review on Lazada when it's not a 5 on any of the heading I get "opps, something went wrong!" Could it be that Lazada is protecting me from my big mouth and what's the point of ever reviewing anything here in LOS?

I've had same thing happen. I never changed the 1☆ I gave a vendor

Good job, Khao Yai hotel. You're about to discover the Streisand Effect🙄

[edit] and now that I see it was a 6/10 review, that's not even that bad.  From the headlines I assumed it was an AWFUL review, and that's what everyone will assume now.  Double good job, Khao Yai hotel! 🏆

Edited by Augratin
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:55 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Absurd. One of the most absolute stupid laws here ever. 

Word has it you cant go commando here--Ive been an outlaw here since 2008!

5 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Word has it you cant go commando here--Ive been an outlaw here since 2008!

Yeah - But once upon a time we were allowed to be 24hr out of control cowboys. Those were the days. 

23 hours ago, DiggR said:

6/10 is not a negative review in my book but rather a tick above neutral. I have no idea what Thai math considers as non- negative.

It's a pass, what more does the hotel expect🤣

On 1/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, anarchofarmer said:

I've had no problem giving a 1* when deserved, although I mainly give 4's and 5's.

I can't recall, but I think that if you give less than a 3 you have to tick a box for a 'reason why'. I've never had any problem with Lazada, including several refunds - can't say the same for Shopee which I steer clear of now.

Sorry for thread drift.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:21 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah - But once upon a time we were allowed to be 24hr out of control cowboys. Those were the days. 

ah the salad days..back in my day we used to be able to ride a bike without being stalked by gals on mbikes

There is a post on another forum, were a woman is asking that hotel are you the hotel who is suing a guest over a negative review, she posted the question on a well known OTA web site

On 1/8/2022 at 4:54 PM, Travisa said:

This is a country training people not to criticize.  Otherwise, pay the price.  

It is more like a fair review