Thai person moving back to Thailand but entering Thailand with a US passport

Hi, 

Has anyone (a Thai person) but not currently having a valid Thai passport ever go back to Thailand using the US passport and stay a long time? If you renew the Thai passport after arriving, is there anything to do so you don't end overstaying? I also plan to come back to the US after a year for a short visit. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NP1 said:

Hi, 

Has anyone (a Thai person) but not currently having a valid Thai passport ever go back to Thailand using the US passport and stay a long time? If you renew the Thai passport after arriving, is there anything to do so you don't end overstaying? I also plan to come back to the US after a year for a short visit. 

Dear NP1,

If you enter using a US passport, then I think you have to keep extending the 'period of stay' of the visa you used to enter the country to avoid overstaying, regardless of the status of your Thai passport.

That's my understanding.

-Bob

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NP1 said:

Hi, 

Have you seen this: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/services-for-thais/thai-passport/emergency-passport/

It makes sense to enter using emergency Thai passport, so no US passport ( hence, no visa/overstaying ) is involved. Perhaps you already looked into this option, but it is not possible?

-Bob

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NP1 said:

I have but I don't have all the documents anyway unfortunately. 

Which visa type are you planning to enter with?

Last year when I went to Thailand, I kept extending my tourist visa via 'Covid extension'. I ended up staying for almost a year. Searching this forum using 'extend faz', you could see several posts regarding this scheme.

I am sure other visa experts will chime in. Good luck.

-Bob

• Like 2

We are looking at Long Stay (60 days) or a non immigrant O type. We do understand that we (especially my husband) will need to apply for extension. We are planning to stay a long time to help take care of my family members. An alternative would be after renewing my Thai passport in Bangkok, I could make a short trip somewhere (if possible) and come back in with the new Thai passport. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NP1 said:

We are looking at Long Stay (60 days) or a non immigrant O type. We do understand that we (especially my husband) will need to apply for extension. We are planning to stay a long time to help take care of my family members. An alternative would be after renewing my Thai passport in Bangkok, I could make a short trip somewhere (if possible) and come back in with the new Thai passport. 

That is your best option I think.

May I also ask everyone and @Faz some related questions? 

How does it work with someone like the OP that has two passports? If the OP was to get a new Thai Passport and use that to stay after short out/in, and therefore had two Passports, which one in the future does she use to enter/leave Thailand and enter/leave USA in the future.  Would she use the Thai Passport (to avoid overstay issues) to leave the country, but the USA one to re-enter USA?  Does the airline record the Thai Passport when leaving, and therefore what happens if she uses the USA Passport to enter USA and it is not recorded? 

Also, what about in the years ahead if she decides to leave USA and visit Thailand. She would have to use the USA Passport to leave of course - but what does she use when she arrives in Thailand? And are there issues involved with that? 

I understand that both USA and Thailand allow dual citizenship, but when does a person use which Passport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

That is your best option I think.

May I also ask everyone and @Faz some related questions? 

How does it work with someone like the OP that has two passports? If the OP was to get a new Thai Passport and use that to stay after short out/in, and therefore had two Passports, which one in the future does she use to enter/leave Thailand and enter/leave USA in the future.  Would she use the Thai Passport (to avoid overstay issues) to leave the country, but the USA one to re-enter USA?  Does the airline record the Thai Passport when leaving, and therefore what happens if she uses the USA Passport to enter USA and it is not recorded? 

Also, what about in the years ahead if she decides to leave USA and visit Thailand. She would have to use the USA Passport to leave of course - but what does she use when she arrives in Thailand? And are there issues involved with that? 

I understand that both USA and Thailand allow dual citizenship, but when does a person use which Passport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty simple 

You use the respective passport for each country 

If you are a US citizen you wouldn't have a visitor visa for the US so you need to use your US passport or you can't enter the US 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I have dual citizenship. 

I leave Thailand on my Thai passport and enter Thailand with my Thai passport, easy. 

To the person with outdated Thai passport, Thailand can't refuse you entry if you are Thai, you can show an old passport or ID card. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NP1 said:

Hi, 

You can apply for Thai passport in Bangkok then go to immigration to cancel you visa. Actually, you don't need to go but if it makes you feel better, just do it. 

Good idea to keep your passports up to date. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NP1 said:

Hi, 

Even as a Thai national If you enter Thailand using a US Passport, you've chosen to enter as a foreigner and are subject to Thai Immigration rules the same as any other foreigner.
There is nothing to stop a Thai national entering Thailand on an expired Thai Passport, or renew it beforehand through your local Thai Embassy/Consulate in the US.

From your other topic, you'll have sufficient time to renew your Thai Passport whilst getting your US marriage certificate authenticated and certified.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

You can apply for Thai passport in Bangkok then go to immigration to cancel you visa. Actually, you don't need to go but if it makes you feel better, just do it. 

Immigration cannot cancel a Visa issued by a Thai Embassy.

• Like 2

We have friends.  She is Thai he is French.  She is a French citizen and so has French Passport.  Her Thai Passport has expired.  She had to get a 60 day visa from Thai embassy in France stamped in her French Passport.  Otherwise she would just be considered a tourist with Visa on Arrival which I believe is 30 days.  

She will get her Thai passport renewed when she comes however since she entered on her French passport, she will have to exit on her French passport.  

I would think the same of your situation.  She could arrive with her USA passport and then go to immigration for an extension, or she could apply for a 60 day visa while in the USA from the Thai embassy there.  Probably less hassle to do it here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

With dual Thai and US citizenship and Passports, you should enter and depart Thailand on the Thai passport and enter and depart the US on the US Passport.
@SomtamMcSporran gave the correct advice and procedure in his post above.

There are some preconceived issues on this.
Prior to the 3rd revision to the Thai nationality act in 1992, Thai women who took up the nationality of their foreign spouse did automatically lose their Thai citizenship. However, Section 13 of the current act effectively allows a person in this situation to keep both nationalities, and Thai citizenship is only lost if the Thai national makes a formal request for renunciation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Faz said:

Immigration cannot cancel a Visa issued by a Thai Embassy.

Interesting, I never knew that. 

They could however write something in the passport to show that the person can't be charged for overstay.

On my passport, they wrote that my visa was cancelled as I became a Thai by naturalization. 

• Like 1

While in Bangkok a couple of years ago with my Thai wife who holds a US Passport, we went to the foreign ministry to try to renew her expired Thai passport. They refused and said she would have to renew it at a Thai Consulate or Embassy in the United States. That was then. there are many Thai agencies Who assist with passport application renewal if you hire one I think it could be accomplished. I didn’t find out about that until later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

Interesting, I never knew that. 

On my passport, they wrote that my visa was cancelled as I became a Thai by naturalization. 

Your Visa had probably already expired a long time ago. (Enter before date).
They cancelled your extension of stay (which Immigration issued) when you attained Thai citizenship.

Thai Embassies/Consulates and issuance of Visas are regulated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and nothing to do with Thai Immigration. Separate Government departments.

1 hour ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

They could however write something in the passport to show that the person can't be charged for overstay.

A few years ago an English friend with a Thai daughter (UK and Thai passport) inadvertently used her UK passport to enter Thailand after a trip to the UK. He noted at the time they stamped a 30 day period of permission of stay in her UK passport (VE entry) and thought nothing of it.

Several months later Immigration fined her (him as the parent) 20,000 BHT for overstay, but couldn't  deport her as she was a Thai national. They instructed him/her to exit Thailand on her UK passport and re-enter on her Thai passport to avoid any further Immigration issues. By law they can't fine a child, but held him responsible as the parent - a rather grey area and situation you don't want to find yourself in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Faz said:

"Thai Embassies/Consulates and issuance of Visas are regulated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and nothing to do with Thai Immigration. Separate Government departments."

I did not realise that Faz - no wonder the system is so 'complicated'.  Clearly there have been things changed in one Department without any consideration of what impacts that change would have on the other Department.  I always thought that the local 'Immigration' offices were a Branch/Part of the Foreign Affairs Department - like in Australia and most other countries. That explains a lot. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. So now my understanding is:

When entering one country, upon arrival at customs, use that country's passport to enter. And then use that passport when buying tickets to leave and use it when at the airport and when boarding the plane.

Then when arrive at the other country - follow the above steps.

Just to make sure I have clearly understood - I have 2 more questions about the details.

1.  There is no issue with boarding a plane using one passport, but then using another passport when arriving at the destination country?  The airlines do not provide a list of passengers and passports to the destination country, for them to check all passengers are accounted for and have checked through customs?

2.  What happens when you are travelling to a country that does not have 'automatic' on-arrival Visas. The airlines check your ID and Passport when checking in, to make sure you have the appropriate Visa or Permission to Enter. If you use the departure country's passport when leaving (then use other country Passport when arrive), then you will not have a Visa or a Permission. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

1.  There is no issue with boarding a plane using one passport, but then using another passport when arriving at the destination country?  The airlines do not provide a list of passengers and passports to the destination country, for them to check all passengers are accounted for and have checked through customs?

2.  What happens when you are travelling to a country that does not have 'automatic' on-arrival Visas. The airlines check your ID and Passport when checking in, to make sure you have the appropriate Visa or Permission to Enter. If you use the departure country's passport when leaving (then use other country Passport when arrive), then you will not have a Visa or a Permission. 

Think of it this way Bob as an example.
You have dual citizenship and hold both an Australian and Thai passport and book a return trip from Aus to Thailand - no Visa is required to enter either Country.
You present your Aus passport at check in, but show them your Thai passport as having the permission to enter Thailand. On entry to Thailand you present your Thai Passport to Immigration for entry.

Return trip present your Thai Passport at check in, but show your Aus passport as having permission to enter Australia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not realise that Faz - no wonder the system is so 'complicated'.  Clearly there have been things changed in one Department without any consideration of what impacts that change would have on the other Department.  I always thought that the local 'Immigration' offices were a Branch/Part of the Foreign Affairs Department - like in Australia and most other countries. That explains a lot. 

The Thai Embassies are regulated by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, whilst Thai Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police.
The first (MFA) regulates external conditions for entry to Thailand (types of Visas).
The second (Immigration) regulates internal conditions for entry at the borders and staying in Thailand.

You have the Thai Embassy websites giving information and requirements for entering Thailand and the Thai Immigration Act and Immigration Bureau Orders for requirements once in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faz said:

The Thai Embassies are regulated by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, whilst Thai Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police.
The first (MFA) regulates external conditions for entry to Thailand (types of Visas).
The second (Immigration) regulates internal conditions for entry at the borders and staying in Thailand.

You have the Thai Embassy websites giving information and requirements for entering Thailand and the Thai Immigration Act and Immigration Bureau Orders for requirements once in Thailand.

We had a weird one that had me puzzled

In US last week flying back to Canada 

My wife got a new Thai passport at the Thai Consulate in Vancouver 

But her Canadian visa is in her old Thai passport 

At check-in, they were having trouble scanning my wife's passport because the visa is "attached" to her old Thai passport 

The solution was they had to make a call to get it cleared 

But they were stressed with having to check PCR tests

They decided to check her in on her old passport 

I thought that was odd

The old passport doesn't expire until 07/22

But I figured it would be cancelled now she has her new one

And I think it is, but they still somewhat used it for her to travel 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Immigration are police. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just noticed my dad's thai passport expired in Sept 2021.  But we was approved for thai pass.  When he arrives to BKK/customs-immigration they will let him enter thailand with an expired passport and he then can renew his thai passport in thailand?

i noticed the consulates are still closed for in person appointments.  please advise.  thank you.

16 minutes ago, jinaeim said:

Just noticed my dad's thai passport expired in Sept 2021.  But we was approved for thai pass.  When he arrives to BKK/customs-immigration they will let him enter thailand with an expired passport and he then can renew his thai passport in thailand?

You can always enter your Country of nationality with an expired Passport.

17 minutes ago, jinaeim said:

i noticed the consulates are still closed for in person appointments.  please advise.  thank you.

Sorry, but I don't see the relevance of this question.
He'd apply for a new Thai passport at a Passport office in Thailand, not a Consulate.