News Forum - Monks caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day say they were honouring ancestors

Thaiger

Three Buddhist monks are facing expulsion from monkhood after they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day, which is a violation of their rules. Apparently, locals gave rice whiskey to the temple as an offering to their ancestors, but a monk says they drank the alcohol as a way to “deliver the alcohol to the dead people.” Residents called the local police in the central province Kamphaeng Phet, concerned that the monks were partying and drinking alcohol. Although no alcohol bottles were found, the police sensed a strong smell of alcohol. Officers say alcohol was also detected during alcohol […]

The story Monks caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day say they were honouring ancestors as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Three Buddhist monks are facing expulsion from monkhood after they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day, which is a violation of their rules. Apparently, locals gave rice whiskey to the temple as an offering to their ancestors, but a monk says they drank the alcohol as a way to “deliver the alcohol to the dead people.” Residents called the local police in the central province Kamphaeng Phet, concerned that the monks were partying and drinking alcohol. Although no alcohol bottles were found, the police sensed a strong smell of alcohol. Officers say alcohol was also detected during alcohol […]

The story Monks caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day say they were honouring ancestors as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Interesting view and will be used as answer to our wifes for our next mens round if they complain about drinking.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Apparently, locals gave rice whiskey to the temple as an offering to their ancestors,

Best not make that a habit ..

9 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

but a monk says they drank the alcohol as a way to “deliver the alcohol to the dead people.”

They should try Zombie cocktails for that .. 

• Haha 3

Shame shame !

People will loose faith on this Buddhist Monks .

This is a fall an religion where there are not having to set of rules, good governance, validation of people from time to time.

Luckily local offer only Rice wine, If they would have offered girls to temple, you can see an different picture.

13 minutes ago, Stardust said:

a monk says they drank the alcohol as a way to “deliver the alcohol to the dead people.”

We had the incredible bullshitting man:

Now we have the incredible bullshitting monk.

• Haha 5

It's sad that those perpetrating the ridiculousness of the last 2 years have gotten people to a point of turning on neighbors.  I get that people who hold religious titles need to be held to a higher standard but JFC, we are turning on monks now because they had a bit of whiskey to ring in the new year.  Is this going to be a super spreader event?  

The further people get lead down this road the harder it will be for them to turn back when they inevitably see they were direly wrong.   

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Yup, I pay homage to my ancestors with every beer since, had their not been an unprotected drunken passionate night leading to a shotgun wedding, I would not be here!!

903660ea420fe5ebe4a697ab256bef74--so-funny-hilarious.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Three Buddhist monks are facing expulsion from monkhood after they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day,

“Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 
Must have been the spirit of Mekong Whisky or Johnny Walker, very willing indeed.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

There are quite a few of these so called monks in NY State. Sources close to them say they are not real monks. A few are but these are rare. I don't trust or respect them anymore than I do christian ministers etc. Just about money. Scammers imho.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Three Buddhist monks are facing expulsion from monkhood after they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day, which is a violation of their rules. Apparently, locals gave rice whiskey to the temple as an offering to their ancestors, but a monk says they drank the alcohol as a way to “deliver the alcohol to the dead people.”

When they get caught with their pants down f***ing around, they will say they are cleansing the body😀

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, MrNovax said:

we are turning on monks now because they had a bit of whiskey to ring in the new year

I think it says that they were breaking their own rules:  "they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day, which is a violation of their rules."  Although I agree that it's a sad day when people get "to a point of turning on neighbors".  I come from a school of thought you don't hear much about today, the school of mind your own business.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JMJM said:

I think it says that they were breaking their own rules:  "they were caught drinking alcohol on New Year’s Day, which is a violation of their rules."  Although I agree that it's a sad day when people get "to a point of turning on neighbors".  I come from a school of thought you don't hear much about today, the school of mind your own business.

I can't follow the logic of that.
If you come from 'the school of mind your own business', you wouldn't be telling us that, surely?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrNovax said:

It's sad that those perpetrating the ridiculousness of the last 2 years have gotten people to a point of turning on neighbors.  I get that people who hold religious titles need to be held to a higher standard but JFC, we are turning on monks now because they had a bit of whiskey to ring in the new year.  Is this going to be a super spreader event?  

The further people get lead down this road the harder it will be for them to turn back when they inevitably see they were direly wrong.   

"I get that people who hold religious titles need to be held to a higher standard but JFC, we are turning on monks now because they had a bit of whiskey to ring in the new year."

Bit like vegans having a plump turkey for their Christmas dinner then?😀

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, kalyan said:

Shame shame !

People will loose faith on this Buddhist Monks .

This is a fall an religion where there are not having to set of rules, good governance, validation of people from time to time.

Luckily local offer only Rice wine, If they would have offered girls to temple, you can see an different picture.

Well apparently they do offer girls at Taiwanese temples:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Bit like vegans having a plump turkey for their Christmas dinner then?😀

I know some vegans who cheat here and there.  I am far from perfect so i do my best not to judge.  

• Like 1

I was in Rayong three years ago, a monk in full gear came into the 7/11 I was queueing at and he was allowed to go to the front of the queue, he rather sheepishly bought a packet of cigarettes, the Thai staff kept silent as did the Thais in the queue but most giggled when he left.

It is probably not against the Thai version of Buddhism but it did look funny. I laughed too.

I say the Thai version as in India where Buddhism originated they do not eat meat, drink or smoke, this is not a criticism but an observation. 

• Like 1

Residents called the local police. What a pathetic state of affairs where ratting is now the new "normal". The monks should stick to their own rules, but many comments here seem to agree with the fact that getting a drink on new years eve doesn't sound like a mayor crime . And when people are spying and denouncing each other they only support the ruling classes.

2 minutes ago, Donald said:

Residents called the local police. What a pathetic state of affairs where ratting is now the new "normal". The monks should stick to their own rules, but many comments here seem to agree with the fact that getting a drink on new years eve doesn't sound like a mayor crime . And when people are spying and denouncing each other they only support the ruling classes.

'a pathetic state of affairs where ratting is now the new "normal" ' The ones doing the ratting are, I would guess, probably the ones supporting the temple financially and want to be able to look up to these hypocrites to set them an example.
Yes, 'the monks should stick to their own rules', but are clearly incapable of doing so. They therefore need a kick up the robes. I can't see the problem with that.
Written as an atheist.

• Like 3