News Forum - Tourist says man assaulted her after she refused to pay 50 baht for Koh Samui viewpoint

Thaiger

18 minutes ago, rai said:

Why would you read only 1-2 star reviews? There are many 4-5 star reviews for the past year mentioning the double pricing. Fair to say, It seems to be the same now ...

Because there are 582 reviews and since only one of the 1 or 2 star reviews mentioned supposed dual pricing (also claiming there was no sign showing any prices although others at the time, 11 months ago showed a photo of a sign in Thai and English with the same price - 20 baht at the time) I though it unlikely that better reviews would complain.

As that's evidently not up to your standards, I looked throuh all 582 reviews.

Three of them mention dual pricing:

Degesa, a 4* review with prices of 20 baht and 40 baht; Cotton Candy a 4* review at 40 and 50 baht; and Craig O a 5* review with prices at 40 and 50 baht.

So "fair to say" there are NOT " many 4-5 star reviews for the past year mentioning the double pricing" and if you'd actually read the reviews you'd have seen that ceased to apply six months ago and is very clearly NOT "the same now".

44 minutes ago, rai said:

... plus the owner claims he is not affliated with those people collecting the 40 baht bike parking fee 555.

If you'd read the reviews, you'd also have noticed that the land is leased, not owned, and the parking area with the "40 baht bike parking fee" has a different owner and there are other parking areas available free further on.

49 minutes ago, rai said:

The fee collector should have kept his cool, explained to the difficult customers via Google Translate or with the help of other tourists that the customers were trespassing on the private property which is punishable by jail in Thailand and are asked to pay now or leave. The Russian man was very aware that they were in a foreign country. If it did not work, the fee collector should have stated he was calling the police and telling them the bike plate number to investigate. The use of force to physically remove the trespassers was likely not justified since the trespassers were not endangering the property and the property suffered just 50 baht of lost revenue. By using the physical force, the fee collector caused significant damage to the trespassers' personal items as well as generated medical bills significantly exceeding damage caused by the trespassers, as well as arguably initiated the fight, or at least started the sequence of events leading to a fight. He should have refrained from using the physical force because the damage was insignificant and instead if the number of trespassers is large (seems to be not), improve access to the venue to prevent the issue whatsoever.

Have you ever actually been to Thailand?

The "fee collector" also cuts the grass and maintains the area.  He's not a tour guide, but a security guard cum handyman.  The two Russians ignored him until he physically took her arm - even if he could have used Google translate they would obviously have still ignored him whatever he did that didn't actually stop them.

You've also evidently paid as much attention to what others have posted here as you have to the Google reviews you misrepresented, which also make the point: there's no internet signal there, making your whole suggestion moot as he couldn't use Google translate to tell them anything even if he knew how to.

... and unless he was clairvoyant, he could obviously have no idea what their motorbike number was as there are a number of parking areas and all are out of sight.

1 hour ago, rai said:

In this particular case he should have stopped at threatening them with the police, these people would quickly leave anyway and no longer disturb the peace.

He did threaten them with the police, as reported and as others said in the video - but they didn't "quickly leave anyway etc" but ignored him and carried on taking photos.

Maybe if you'd actually read what happened, looked at the video, and read the reviews you wouldn't be making these sort of comments and you'd have a better idea of what you were talking about, and you wouldn't try to blame a security guard for just doing his job under what was clearly inexcusable provocation.

Inexcusable to all but you and the odd Russian racist (although far from all Russians are), that is.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

The husband need to divorce this vile canker. 

he might be too scared to leave!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Because there are 582 reviews and since only one of the 1 or 2 star reviews mentioned supposed dual pricing (also claiming there was no sign showing any prices although others at the time, 11 months ago showed a photo of a sign in Thai and English with the same price - 20 baht at the time) I though it unlikely that better reviews would complain.

Degesa, a 4* review with prices of 20 baht and 40 baht; Cotton Candy a 4* review at 40 and 50 baht; and Craig O a 5* review with prices at 40 and 50 baht.

So "fair to say" there are NOT " many 4-5 star reviews for the past year mentioning the double pricing" and if you'd actually read the reviews you'd have seen that ceased to apply six months ago and is very clearly NOT "the same now".

If you'd read the reviews, you'd also have noticed that the land is leased, not owned, and the parking area with the "40 baht bike parking fee" has a different owner and there are other parking areas available free further on.

The "fee collector" also cuts the grass and maintains the area.  He's not a tour guide, but a security guard cum handyman.  The two Russians ignored him until he physically took her arm - even if he could have used Google translate they would obviously have still ignored him whatever he did that didn't actually stop them.

You've also evidently paid as much attention to what others have posted here as you have to the Google reviews you misrepresented, which also make the point: there's no internet signal there, making your whole suggestion moot as he couldn't use Google translate to tell them anything even if he knew how to.

... and unless he was clairvoyant, he could obviously have no idea what their motorbike number was as there are a number of parking areas and all are out of sight.

He did threaten them with the police, as reported and as others said in the video - but they didn't "quickly leave anyway etc" but ignored him and carried on taking photos.

Maybe if you'd actually read what happened, looked at the video, and read the reviews you wouldn't be making these sort of comments and you'd have a better idea of what you were talking about, and you wouldn't try to blame a security guard for just doing his job under what was clearly inexcusable provocation.

Inexcusable to all but you and the odd Russian racist (although far from all Russians are), that is.

Inexcusable is a strong word mate, sounds a bit like a drama king. If you lived in a fairy world and never had to meet unstable women before, well, here they are, regardless of the nationality. I was curious what triggered the fit of rage, it is clear to me now it was triggered by the fee collector trying to force the woman out of the venue and breaking her sunglasses. It could and should have been avoided if either party was slightly more empathic, civilized and humane. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, I hope you will not argue with that.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:37 AM, NCC1701A said:

she needs a spanking. 

Yup russians need to be spanked and treated strict its the only thing they understand-  and respect..  

• Like 3

Disgusting!

The caretaker should be fired for not understanding business.

Cleary this lady should get to take free pictures for her instagram. Then all of her 326 followers would immediately book a flight to Samui and he would make an extra 16300 baht the week after!

He is lucky he got away with only a beating!

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, rai said:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, I hope you will not argue with that.

I can't be bothered - it's about as disconnected with reality as saying that with free will you can defend yourself one way or another.

In the real world if someone attacks you and you think impersonating Gandhi will make everything OK you end up getting hurt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

I can't be bothered - it's about as disconnected with reality as saying that with free will you can defend yourself one way or another.

In the real world if someone attacks you and you think impersonating Gandhi will make everything OK you end up getting hurt.

What is this real world that you speak of?

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

16 hours ago, rai said:

Nice to know mate, I was not aware that the translation was readily available or I would have spared my time. My understanding was that what the girl was saying was not known. Now I see that you dismissed her version of events as a lie.

I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. That she's in the wrong? I completely agree. That forcibly removing the girl was the best idea? I highly doubt it and imo it was completely against the Thai spirit of hospitality. You don't get this sort of treatment in Thailand where you don't get the tourist money (and it is so much better there). It is very difficult for a person visiting Thailand for the first time to tell a scam from a legit business, and the viewpoint reviews on Google Maps contain multiple warnings about the scam going on in this place, from parking fees to the all-time favourite double pricing: Thais 20฿, farang 50฿. Now they probably upped the prices for Thais too, difficult times. This you conveniently failed to acnowledge, which look sort of biased.

At the very least, the signage was not good enough and the fee collector's crisis management skills were absent. As a tourism representative, he had the most direct responsibility to organize things in the best way possible and gracefully resolve any problems that might occur. I will go as long as to say the this fee collector should never work in the tourism industry and should reinvent himself as a security guard - simply because he's hurting the business. If he worked for me, he would not have worked for me because he cannot deal with people.

I understand that you are biased in favour of the fee collector, which is fair enough. My opinion is that he is professionally incompetent, handled the situation poorly and should be urgently trained on how to deal with difficult customers or replaced.

The best guys in this show are the Ko Samui police (we will not mention recent accusations of sexual impropriety, it was an individual not all). These guys know how to calm things down and make good impression, cheers to them (basically say sorry, smile and bring gifts. Not that difficult. The money's taxpayers anyway).

f-5-1024x575.jpg

She should've gotten the boot along with all the other Russian mafia residing here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rai said:

Inexcusable is a strong word mate, sounds a bit like a drama king. If you lived in a fairy world and never had to meet unstable women before, well, here they are, regardless of the nationality. I was curious what triggered the fit of rage, it is clear to me now it was triggered by the fee collector trying to force the woman out of the venue and breaking her sunglasses. It could and should have been avoided if either party was slightly more empathic, civilized and humane. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, I hope you will not argue with that.

Do you always win your arguments by being more verbose than others. I can't be bothered reading past your first couple of lines. It's unimaginable that someone can go on so long. 

Sorry I've already written too much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

Correct she was in wrong 

when in doubt you should walk away she did not , she will not last long playing princess in Thailand 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

In 1978 I was in London, 2am going home, I was a student at university.

Five blokes walking towards me, stopped and blocked the pavement, one had a bottle in his hand, they said they were going to kill me.

It was lucky that I had been doing Karate for the last nine months, six hours a week, it helped.

As they approached, I turned around and ran as fast as I could, the thrown bottle hit me on the back but I carried on running.

The reason the Karate helped was I was so fit I could easily out run them.

When in a situation it is sometimes better to walk away or run in my case.

But in this case the Thai ticket seller had to do his job and deal with such a mad person. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

In 1978 I was in London, 2am going home, I was a student at university.

Five blokes walking towards me, stopped and blocked the pavement, one had a bottle in his hand, they said they were going to kill me.

It was lucky that I had been doing Karate for the last nine months, six hours a week, it helped.

As they approached, I turned around and ran as fast as I could, the thrown bottle hit me on the back but I carried on running.

The reason the Karate helped was I was so fit I could easily out run them.

When in a situation it is sometimes better to walk away or run in my case.

But in this case the Thai ticket seller had to do his job and deal with such a mad person. 

Not only do his job, but the mad Russian woman and fat boy were between him and the only way in and out!

I was in a similar position to you with your karate.  I was in the Army and was an aikido instructor, although it wasn't my job and I seldom taught it, and my advice was that if you couldn't shoot someone the best thing to do was to hit them with something big and heavy, preferably from behind. There's a reason why they're called 'Armed Forces', not 'unarmed forces' 😯.

• Like 1

Yes, she was very aggressive. And her boyfriend looks like a useless (huge) lump.

But something about some Thais working in Ko Samui, Phuket etc. It's as if the hiring goes something like this, "Are you a scumbag? Great, you're hired". From personal experience, I've never seen a security guy in BKK or CM acting like this.

Edited by Leo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Not only do his job, but the mad Russian woman and fat boy were between him and the only way in and out!

I was in a similar position to you with your karate.  I was in the Army and was an aikido instructor, although it wasn't my job and I seldom taught it, and my advice was that if you couldn't shoot someone the best thing to do was to hit them with something big and heavy, preferably from behind. There's a reason why they're called 'Armed Forces', not 'unarmed forces' 😯.

The karate instructor told us if you are in trouble then run if outnumbered.

He also said if you are going to hit someone to get out of a situation don't let them know you are going to hit them, hit them as hard as possible,  then leave.

3 hours ago, Leo said:

Yes, she was very aggressive. And her boyfriend looks like a useless (huge) lump.

But something about some Thais working in Ko Samui, Phuket etc. It's as if the hiring goes something like this, "Are you a scumbag? Great, you're hired". From personal experience, I've never seen a security guy in BKK or CM acting like this.

Nor have I seen this in Phuket after visiting there for the last thirty plus years.

5 hours ago, Leo said:

From personal experience, I've never seen a security guy in BKK or CM acting like this.

From your personal experience, have you ever seen a tourist acting like this in BKK or CM?

8 hours ago, Leo said:

Not that I totally agree with you

Southern Thais are "known" to be a bit more hot hearted than their kin to to North 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Not that I totally agree with you

Southern Thais are "known" to be a bit more hot hearted than their kin to to North 

A lot of Thai's call Phuket Thai's "Jai Dam" 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

A lot of Thai's call Phuket Thai's "Jai Dam" 

A lot of Phuket Thai's call women from Issan ''Pooying Bar'' as 99% of Issan girls working in Phuket work as bar girls. 

They always refer to Issan as Laos. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of American comedian "there's plenty of reason to hit a women, you just don't" Another skanky Russian mole disrespecting. Many of them are so good at that and they flood in thinking they are better than everyone. 50 baht, that all she had to pay...  The problem now is Thailand thinks it has to bow to every person who wants to come here.  They have an opportunity to filter out the trash, keep records and not let them back in, regardless of their money...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Reminds me of American comedian "there's plenty of reason to hit a women, you just don't" Another skanky Russian mole disrespecting. Many of them are so good at that and they flood in thinking they are better than everyone. 50 baht, that all she had to pay...  The problem now is Thailand thinks it has to bow to every person who wants to come here.  They have an opportunity to filter out the trash, keep records and not let them back in, regardless of their money...

You had better watch yourself then otherwise you might be out on your arse.

Most of the Russians I have met in Thailand are just like the rest of us, decent.

• 1 month later...

I was there that day. I am in the video trying to protect my girlfriend. The man asked the woman for the 50 Baht she was trying to cheat him out of. Ironically enough her husband paid "for one person". The man did touch her shoulder and asked her to pay the 50 Baht. Upon which time she immediately repeatedly slapped/punched the Thai man across the face. He did slap her back which I didn't actually agree with. But she repeatedly slapped, punched and kicked the man. In fact she went to attack her huge sized husband because he wouldn't beat the man like she wanted and was ordering him to do. She was vicious and unrelenting. All of us other people were shocked and afraid about what was happening. I genuinely thought someone was going to be thrown over the mountain. Thus I was trying to protect my girlfriend. All the rest of us shocked and well behaved tourists couldn't go down the mountain, as the Russian woman repeatedly kept running back up and attacking the Thai man again. It was an absolute nightmare. Her behaviour was vicious, shocking and disgusting. And all because she didn't want to pay 50 Baht to see such a beautiful place. One of the most beautiful places on the island. Shame on her and her husband. Koh Samui could do without "visitors" like that! Ruined an otherwise beautiful day for all the other tourists there!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Brendan said:

I was there that day. I am in the video trying to protect my girlfriend. The man asked the woman for the 50 Baht she was trying to cheat him out of. Ironically enough her husband paid "for one person". The man did touch her shoulder and asked her to pay the 50 Baht. Upon which time she immediately repeatedly slapped/punched the Thai man across the face. He did slap her back which I didn't actually agree with. But she repeatedly slapped, punched and kicked the man. In fact she went to attack her huge sized husband because he wouldn't beat the man like she wanted and was ordering him to do. She was vicious and unrelenting. All of us other people were shocked and afraid about what was happening. I genuinely thought someone was going to be thrown over the mountain. Thus I was trying to protect my girlfriend. All the rest of us shocked and well behaved tourists couldn't go down the mountain, as the Russian woman repeatedly kept running back up and attacking the Thai man again. It was an absolute nightmare. Her behaviour was vicious, shocking and disgusting. And all because she didn't want to pay 50 Baht to see such a beautiful place. One of the most beautiful places on the island. Shame on her and her husband. Koh Samui could do without "visitors" like that! Ruined an otherwise beautiful day for all the other tourists there!

Hi, @Brendanand welcome to Thaiger Talk!  What an experience that was for you and your gf! Just how some people's minds work can be pretty baffling at times, but what drove that woman to be quite so angry is beyond comprehension. Thanks for the account, though . . . quite some debut post!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brendan said:

Thanks, @Brendan - much as most of us suspected.

Do you know if the police did any sort of follow up at all, contacting anyone who was there for any statements, or anything like that?

7 hours ago, Brendan said:

Brendan, hello & welcome to Thaiger Talk.👍

That can't have been a nice experience for either of you.

Thanks though for your post, very informative.

Have you retired here, or are you on an extended holiday?

Let us know a little about yourself, please.

Oh.. don't forget to read the Forum Guidelines!

🙂