News Forum - Tourist says man assaulted her after she refused to pay 50 baht for Koh Samui viewpoint

Thaiger

18 hours ago, TomSabai said:

Typical russian behaviour. You can go in each destination and ask locals about the origin of the worst tourist. I bet in 90% they would answer Russia. Russian probably think because of having money it allows you to overrule local regulation.  

I disagree with you we have had lots of Russian guest and customers over many years never had a problem with them money or not.

There are good and bad in every nationality

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, JamesR said:

If you notice a Thai girl in the audience near the chairs was having a good old laugh at it. 🤣

Yeah I noticed at 1.13. I watched it full screen 3 times. Quite entertaining I must say

• Like 1

I think she will never be returning to Thailand - one way or the other.  All the publicity she will be getting for her behaviour from those that know her (and some that dont), will make her 'hate' Thailand even more.  But I suspect she is 'otherwise employed' in Thailand and her 'supporter/s' will be forking over some 'settlement payments' - nudge nudge wink wink.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I think she will never be returning to Thailand - one way or the other.  All the publicity she will be getting for her behaviour from those that know her (and some that dont), will make her 'hate' Thailand even more.  But I suspect she is 'otherwise employed' in Thailand and her 'supporter/s' will be forking over some 'settlement payments' - nudge nudge wink wink.

She should watch the door on way out not letting it hit her in the ass

• Haha 1

Let me mention that there seems to be no payment sign in the Russian (or the Chinese) language. While some basic command of the English language is taken for granted these days, it is not the case for many package tourists to package tourist destinations such as Phuket. To be precise, some basic command of English is something that quickly disappears in Thailand as well outside of the main tourist spots. While some native English speakers may be of an opinion that English is a must have, well, hope you do not have to learn Chinese just to get by. As for the situation, the troublemaking lady could have heard from others about tourist scams and simply ignoring them without realizing this charge was "legit" (check out Google reviews for this place, quite a few scam warnings). If as some suggest she was knocked on the head by the fee collector, this is extremely offensive in the Russian culture, more so than in Thailand and arguably worse than if someone spat on other's face. The troublemaking lady could have lost control and the result is on the video. Could a Thai lady react the same if e.g. someone spat on her face? I've surely seen worse than this little drama. And the viewpoint that somehow managed to become the private property and double price for the view could certainly improve their signage. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I disagree with you we have had lots of Russian guest and customers over many years never had a problem with them money or not.

There are good and bad in every nationality

"There are good and bad in every nationality"... I find it so sad to read in a forum such obvious statement. But then again, after reading some comments here, maybe it is not so obvious for some.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Changnam43 said:

"I would've smacked the shit out of my wife"

Seriously?  Maybe you should reflect on that comment.

No maybe I shouldn't.... I wouldn't stand by well my wife tries to assault a gentleman (did you bother to watch the video on Instagram?)

My wife never behaves like this so she never gets smacked.

8 hours ago, 1l1 said:

@Stonker seems you are the same as she is: you are attacking me with argumentum ad hominem. What's next? Insult me and hit with a folded chair? 😄

Maybe it would help if you knew that the video begins with her words "he hit me in the head". So the video starts after it. 

No 'ad hominems' at all - you're simply making up claims nobody's made.

I'm "attacking" you because you're defending the indefensible.

She's not only unpleasant and abusive but a compulsive liar - do you think her boyfriend wouldn't know if she'd been hit in the head?

All the witnesses say the caretaker pulled her by the arm as the pair of them ignored his direction to leave and continued to take photographs. None say he hit her in the head, or hit her at all, and nobody, even her, claims that he punched her as you claimed.

Most Russians I've met would condemn her actions as would any civilised person, but there's a small minority who think they're above Asians in the pecking order - she's obviously one of them, and you seem to be too.

Are you Russian by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rai said:

Let me mention that there seems to be no payment sign in the Russian (or the Chinese) language. While some basic command of the English language is taken for granted these days, it is not the case for many package tourists to package tourist destinations such as Phuket. To be precise, some basic command of English is something that quickly disappears in Thailand as well outside of the main tourist spots. While some native English speakers may be of an opinion that English is a must have, well, hope you do not have to learn Chinese just to get by. As for the situation, the troublemaking lady could have heard from others about tourist scams and simply ignoring them without realizing this charge was "legit" (check out Google reviews for this place, quite a few scam warnings). If as some suggest she was knocked on the head by the fee collector, this is extremely offensive in the Russian culture, more so than in Thailand and arguably worse than if someone spat on other's face. The troublemaking lady could have lost control and the result is on the video. Could a Thai lady react the same if e.g. someone spat on her face? I've surely seen worse than this little drama. And the viewpoint that somehow managed to become the private property and double price for the view could certainly improve their signage. Cheers.

She came to visit Thailand and must realize that Russian isn't spoken or understood.  She also knew enough English or one of her associates knew enough English or Thai to file a report. I might be wrong but few Thai police know any Russian.  She's a fake and Karen in my book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rai said:

So it's the viewpoint's fault when everyone else, including Thais, pay 50 baht and she's entitled to pick up a metal framed chair and attack the caretaker with it?

..... and no-one who was there and witnessed it "suggest she was knocked on the head by the fee collector", nor does the video.

... but who cares, as it's the Thai's fault and a "scam" regardless of reality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rai said:

(check out Google reviews for this place, quite a few scam warnings)

I did, following that.

4.5 stars, with only 1% not positive complaining about the price.

But who cares about reality ... 

27 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

She came to visit Thailand and must realize that Russian isn't spoken or understood.  She also knew enough English or one of her associates knew enough English or Thai to file a report. I might be wrong but few Thai police know any Russian.  She's a fake and Karen in my book.

Correct mate, that's why there appears to be a giggling Russian female interpreter in one of the released photos. It is not difficult to find one in Ko Samui. All parties understand the troublemaking lady will have to disappear back into the winter soon and the case will quietly collapse. Not defending the troublemaking lady as you might have noticed, just trying to explain cultural nuances. In parts of the UK one might get bottled, glassed or killed for calling others names (like a certain word for a  gypsy), explaining that does not make them good. In parts of Russia knocking someone on the head is considered an insulting attack and may promptly return a facepunch and a fight. It might easily not have happened, the lady is apparently racist and unstable regardless.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, Thaiger said:

A Thai man is being accused of hitting a Russian tourist during a heated argument when she refused to pay a 50 baht entrance fee to a viewpoint on Koh Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand off the Surat Thani coast. The 33 year old woman and her partner went to a local police station and reported that the man hit her on the cheek and rib. A video shot by a bystander shows the tourist yelling at the 57 year old Thai man while the partner tried to break up the fight. The tourists were driving a […]

The story Tourist says man assaulted her after she refused to pay 50 baht for Koh Samui viewpoint as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a scumbag, hitting a woman.

44 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So it's the viewpoint's fault when everyone else, including Thais, pay 50 baht and she's entitled to pick up a metal framed chair and attack the caretaker with it?

..... and no-one who was there and witnessed it "suggest she was knocked on the head by the fee collector", nor does the video.

... but who cares, as it's the Thai's fault and a "scam" regardless of reality.

Thanks for replying mate. It is a wee funny to answer rhetorical questions that you already answered yourself and I will not. You are free to judge things regardless of reality if you wish so. I just tried to explain what might have happened: a clearly unstable, racist and vulgar Russian female apparently was deeply pissed off by something to the point of finding an interpreter and wasting their holiday time in a police station, having thrown quite a tantrum before. I am speculating on what it might be because normally it does not happen out of thin air, there is always a story. Other than that, nothing interesting, happens all the time. E.g. a Thai friend of mine was almost raped by some drunk Aussie backpackers from Ao Nang's Slumber Party, filed a police report and nothing of course, the best way to solve a problem is to mop the traces and pretend nothing happened. Justice is bad for tourism too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rai said:

Thanks for replying mate. It is a wee funny to answer rhetorical questions that you already answered yourself and I will not. You are free to judge things regardless of reality if you wish so. I just tried to explain what might have happened: a clearly unstable, racist and vulgar Russian female apparently was deeply pissed off by something to the point of finding an interpreter and wasting their holiday time in a police station, having thrown quite a tantrum before. I am speculating on what it might be because normally it does not happen out of thin air, there is always a story. Other than that, nothing interesting, happens all the time. E.g. a Thai friend of mine was almost raped by some drunk Aussie backpackers from Ao Nang's Slumber Party, filed a police report and nothing of course, the best way to solve a problem is to mop the traces and pretend nothing happened. Justice is bad for tourism too.

Little green men from Mars "might" have abducted her - but that isn't what the video shows or any of the witnesses say.

31 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Little green men from Mars "might" have abducted her - but that isn't what the video shows or any of the witnesses say.

Sorry mate you apparently do not speak any Russian, here is the transcript of the short version:

Russian Girl: Punch him! He is hitting me in the head and in the face! Punch him!

Russian Man: We are in a foreign country!

RG: I don't give a f*ck, he wil kill me. He will kill ME! He is beating me blyat! F*ck you douchebag, I... mothef*cking f*ggot blyat. Why did you?.. suka, motherf*cker blyat. And you broke my sunglasses f*ggot blyat. Why the f*ck did you break my sunglasses? F*ck yourself blyat, get it [the middle finger] blyat. (To RM:) Punch him! F*ck off blyat! Punch him! Punch him!

Hope it was enjoyable mate!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rai said:

Sorry mate you apparently do not speak any Russian, here is the transcript of the short version:

Russian Girl: Punch him! He is hitting me in the head and in the face! Punch him!

Russian Man: We are in a foreign country!

RG: I don't give a f*ck, he wil kill me. He will kill ME! He is beating me blyat! F*ck you douchebag, I... mothef*cking f*ggot blyat. Why did you?.. suka, motherf*cker blyat. And you broke my sunglasses f*ggot blyat. Why the f*ck did you break my sunglasses? F*ck yourself blyat, get it [the middle finger] blyat. (To RM:) Punch him! F*ck off blyat! Punch him! Punch him!

Hope it was enjoyable mate!

I don't speak Russian, but the translation's readily available.

The problem is that despite all her ranting he very clearly isn't hitting her in the head and face, isn't beating her, and isn't going to kill her.

... and apparently you don't speak any Thai, as if you listen to the Thais commenting at the end they say that she's entirely at fault, that she attacked the caretaker and refused to pay the 50 baht fee they'd all paid, and that they should report her to the police for assault.

If you could read Thai, you'd also know that the witnesses say he pulled her arm to get her to leave as the two Russians refused to leave or to pay and carried on taking photographs, and none say that he hit her until after she hit him with the folding chair - all of which is exactly what's on the video.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I don't speak Russian, but the translation's readily available.

The problem is that despite all her ranting he very clearly isn't hitting her in the head and face, isn't beating her, and isn't going to kill her.

... and apparently you don't speak any Thai, as if you listen to the Thais commenting at the end they say that she's entirely at fault, that she attacked the caretaker and refused to pay the 50 baht fee they'd all paid, and that they should report her to the police for assault.

If you could read Thai, you'd also know that the witnesses say he pulled her arm to get her to leave as the two Russians refused to leave or to pay and carried on taking photographs, and none say that he hit her until after she hit him with the folding chair - all of which is exactly what's on the video.

Nice to know mate, I was not aware that the translation was readily available or I would have spared my time. My understanding was that what the girl was saying was not known. Now I see that you dismissed her version of events as a lie.

I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. That she's in the wrong? I completely agree. That forcibly removing the girl was the best idea? I highly doubt it and imo it was completely against the Thai spirit of hospitality. You don't get this sort of treatment in Thailand where you don't get the tourist money (and it is so much better there). It is very difficult for a person visiting Thailand for the first time to tell a scam from a legit business, and the viewpoint reviews on Google Maps contain multiple warnings about the scam going on in this place, from parking fees to the all-time favourite double pricing: Thais 20฿, farang 50฿. Now they probably upped the prices for Thais too, difficult times. This you conveniently failed to acnowledge, which look sort of biased.

At the very least, the signage was not good enough and the fee collector's crisis management skills were absent. As a tourism representative, he had the most direct responsibility to organize things in the best way possible and gracefully resolve any problems that might occur. I will go as long as to say the this fee collector should never work in the tourism industry and should reinvent himself as a security guard - simply because he's hurting the business. If he worked for me, he would not have worked for me because he cannot deal with people.

I understand that you are biased in favour of the fee collector, which is fair enough. My opinion is that he is professionally incompetent, handled the situation poorly and should be urgently trained on how to deal with difficult customers or replaced.

The best guys in this show are the Ko Samui police (we will not mention recent accusations of sexual impropriety, it was an individual not all). These guys know how to calm things down and make good impression, cheers to them (basically say sorry, smile and bring gifts. Not that difficult. The money's taxpayers anyway).

f-5-1024x575.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

If you notice a Thai girl in the audience near the chairs was having a good old laugh at it. 🤣

True!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rai said:

Now I see that you dismissed her version of events as a lie.

Correct - since it's directly contradicted by all the witnesses, by her boyfriend's actions, and by the video I don't think that's unreasonable!

1 hour ago, rai said:

You don't get this sort of treatment in Thailand where you don't get the tourist money (and it is so much better there).

What a simply bizarre thing to say on every level.

It's one of the best known viewpoints on Koh Samui, which is about as tourist oriented and reliant on "the tourist money" as it's possible to get!

1 hour ago, rai said:

It is very difficult for a person visiting Thailand for the first time to tell a scam from a legit business, and the viewpoint reviews on Google Maps contain multiple warnings about the scam going on in this place, from parking fees to the all-time favourite double pricing: Thais 20฿, farang 50฿.

Having looked at the reviews, that's simply not true either on Google Maps or elsewhere. They had 582 reviews with an overall rating of 4.4 stars. Having wasted my time reading through the one and two stars, only one claims the there was any "double pricing" - written by a Russian, inevitably, and contradicted not only by the Thais in the video but by the many photos of the signs which clearly say 20 baht (when it was 20 baht) in Thai as well as English, and 50 baht (when it went up to 50 baht) - again in Thai as well as English.

But claiming "the all-time favourite double pricing" even when it's patently untrue is usally good for some sympathy.

1 hour ago, rai said:

This you conveniently failed to acnowledge, which look sort of biased.

No, I didn't "fail to acknowledge it" - I replied in #134897 above saying that I'd checked it and it wasn't correct. Having now wasted my time going through the reviews in more detail it's evidently completely untrue. That looks "sort of biased".

1 hour ago, rai said:

At the very least, the signage was not good enough and the fee collector's crisis management skills were absent. As a tourism representative, he had the most direct responsibility to organize things in the best way possible and gracefully resolve any problems that might occur. I will go as long as to say the this fee collector should never work in the tourism industry and should reinvent himself as a security guard - simply because he's hurting the business. If he worked for me, he would not have worked for me because he cannot deal with people.

He is a security guard - although he also cuts the grass and collects the entrance fees.

Maybe you could explain how he could "gracefully resolve" someone refusing to pay and refusing to leave, carrying on taking photographs and ignoring him?

How he should have reacted when the boyfriend poked him in the chest?

What he should have done when the woman first hit him with the folding metal chair, then threw it at him?

Maybe not .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:32 AM, Thaiger said:

A Thai man is being accused of hitting a Russian tourist during a heated argument when she refused to pay a 50 baht entrance fee to a viewpoint on Koh Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand off the Surat Thani coast. The 33 year old woman and her partner went to a local police station and reported that the man hit her on the cheek and rib. A video shot by a bystander shows the tourist yelling at the 57 year old Thai man while the partner tried to break up the fight. The tourists were driving a […]

The story Tourist says man assaulted her after she refused to pay 50 baht for Koh Samui viewpoint as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Normal" act from new rich russians. Go to see how they act in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Or in Vietnam. Not all, but some of them are so low culture believing they can do what ever, act how ever, dress how ever in every place. And asians are for them second class people.

As I said not everyone. But some.

PS. Is there evidence thai man hitted her? Maybe husband? Poor husband. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Correct - since it's directly contradicted by all the witnesses, by her boyfriend's actions, and by the video I don't think that's unreasonable!

What a simply bizarre thing to say on every level.

It's one of the best known viewpoints on Koh Samui, which is about as tourist oriented and reliant on "the tourist money" as it's possible to get!

Having looked at the reviews, that's simply not true either on Google Maps or elsewhere. They had 582 reviews with an overall rating of 4.4 stars. Having wasted my time reading through the one and two stars, only one claims the there was any "double pricing" - written by a Russian, inevitably, and contradicted not only by the Thais in the video but by the many photos of the signs which clearly say 20 baht (when it was 20 baht) in Thai as well as English, and 50 baht (when it went up to 50 baht) - again in Thai as well as English.

But claiming "the all-time favourite double pricing" even when it's patently untrue is usally good for some sympathy.

No, I didn't "fail to acknowledge it" - I replied in #134897 above saying that I'd checked it and it wasn't correct. Having now wasted my time going through the reviews in more detail it's evidently completely untrue. That looks "sort of biased".

He is a security guard - although he also cuts the grass and collects the entrance fees.

Maybe you could explain how he could "gracefully resolve" someone refusing to pay and refusing to leave, carrying on taking photographs and ignoring him?

How he should have reacted when the boyfriend poked him in the chest?

What he should have done when the woman first hit him with the folding metal chair, then threw it at him?

Maybe not .....

Why would you read only 1-2 star reviews? There are many 4-5 star reviews for the past year mentioning the double pricing. Fair to say, It seems to be the same now plus the owner claims he is not affliated with those people collecting the 40 baht bike parking fee 555.

The fee collector should have kept his cool, explained to the difficult customers via Google Translate or with the help of other tourists that the customers were trespassing on the private property which is punishable by jail in Thailand and are asked to pay now or leave. The Russian man was very aware that they were in a foreign country. If it did not work, the fee collector should have stated he was calling the police and telling them the bike plate number to investigate. The use of force to physically remove the trespassers was likely not justified since the trespassers were not endangering the property and the property suffered just 50 baht of lost revenue. By using the physical force, the fee collector caused significant damage to the trespassers' personal items as well as generated medical bills significantly exceeding damage caused by the trespassers, as well as arguably initiated the fight, or at least started the sequence of events leading to a fight. He should have refrained from using the physical force because the damage was insignificant and instead if the number of trespassers is large (seems to be not), improve access to the venue to prevent the issue whatsoever. In this particular case he should have stopped at threatening them with the police, these people would quickly leave anyway and no longer disturb the peace.