News Forum - 11 local, 10 international Omicron infections found in Phuket

Thaiger

11 local Thai women on popular party hub Bangla Road and 10 international travellers arriving at Phuket International Airport tested positive for the Omicron variant of Covid-19. The local office of the Ministry of Interior operates the Phuket Info Centre where the report of the new variant infections was posted, citing the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office as its source. Since December 13, 125 infections of the Omicron variant have been confirmed in Phuket including these 21 new infections. The 11 Thai women from Bangla Road were identified and proactive screening when antigen test kits were administered by Patong Hospital […]

The story 11 local, 10 international Omicron infections found in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why do you allow Neil Fronde to publish articles on the Thaiger??

has he got shares ??

The articles he publishes seem second hand or without the research required to obtain 100% truth?

most articles are scare monger information!!!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

11 local Thai women on popular party hub Bangla Road and 10 international travellers arriving at Phuket International Airport

They need one more diseased foreigner to make it a score draw then .. 11 local Thai women on popular party hub Bangla Rd .! Is this code or a euphemism for something that don't happen .. much 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Spice61 said:

Why do you allow Neil Fronde to publish articles on the Thaiger??

has he got shares ??

The articles he publishes seem second hand or without the research required to obtain 100% truth?

most articles are scare monger information!!!?

Cut rate reporting that shows little effort or journalistic chops. Any monkey can copy and paste from the Bangkok Post. Would love to see Thaiger ups its game. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Cut rate reporting that shows little effort or journalistic chops. Any monkey can copy and paste from the Bangkok Post. Would love to see Thaiger ups its game. 

The Thaiger is a news agglomeration site. It does no first hand reporting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was inevitable..... the Omicron cases....not the author of the report. Omicron will spread in Phuket. I just hope the government doesn't cease all sandbox entry in Phuket. That would be ridiculous. It wouldn't stop Omicron anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spice61 said:

Maybe they are after Click Bait … and just maybe he is their master! 

29 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Fair enough. However, the editors do have choices. Seems like they choose to rerun the more inane omicron content... 10 new cases in Phuket... Sinovac is ineffective... but to your point, they the hostage to the quality of reporting Thai media is capable of originating.

33 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Fair enough. However, the editors do have choices. Seems like they choose to rerun the more inane omicron content... 10 new cases in Phuket... Sinovac is ineffective... but to your point, they the hostage to the quality of reporting Thai media is capable of originating.

If thats what you think, fair enough.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Don't know if that's a benefit or detriment...

Oh. And BTW, what might an International Omicron Infection be? 

A more reasoned logic might suggest that the Covid Zombie Cooties doesn't see itself as a political/cultural body with projected bias and whatnot. It just is.

55 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Yet, it isn't Thai media or anything associated. It's Occidental media. 

Both, they repeat the rubbish but can't be blamed for it.

I'm not sure that a disease thinks at all, it just goes around and settles where it will. It's like the 'battle against cancer' stories that the press report. An insult to humanity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

Your statement about having choices would have been so much better if you had pointed at some events that are more newsworthy yet were missed/skipped.

For lack of them, I continue to place stories about e.g. local Omicron transmissions and preliminary results about Sinovac efficacy high on my list of interesting or at least entertaining news.

In the end, (all) news is not just about what happened, but also about what results in the most pageviews, engagement, audience building and - last but not least - ad-revenue (BTW: without my ad-blockers I wouldn't read most news or even open sites like YouTube). As long as you don't stick to a single (type of) source and don't take every first thing you read for granted, you're doing quite well.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Both, they repeat the rubbish but can't be blamed for it.

I'm not sure that a disease thinks at all, it just goes around and settles where it will. It's like the 'battle against cancer' stories that the press report. An insult to humanity.

Yes. Always a war on something 

if Thai women have omicron, tourists have given it.

which means that tourists are walking with omicron, screening on arrival is quite insufficient.

4 minutes ago, vvdb.fr said:

if Thai women have omicron, tourists have given it.

which means that tourists are walking with omicron, screening on arrival is quite insufficient.

Filthy Farang in our midst.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Omicron will spread in Phuket. I just hope the government doesn't cease all sandbox entry in Phuket. That would be ridiculous. It wouldn't stop Omicron anyway.

The problem, as always, has never been 'international arrivals' per se.

The problem has always been tourism and travel in all its forms and everything it needs - simply compare Thailand pre-Songkran 2021 and Thailand post-Songkran 2021.

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

The problem, as always, has never been 'international arrivals' per se.

The problem has always been tourism and travel in all its forms and everything it needs - simply compare Thailand pre-Songkran 2021 and Thailand post-Songkran 2021.

Works for me - blame all the woe on the foreigners.

Went to Bangla area for NYE countdown. Was absolutely rammed, thousands and thousands on the beach. Could have been the biggest superspreader event of the year. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks. 

Also noticed that the checks on people entering Phuket at the bridge were a joke. They didn't check every car, and even when my wife was looking in the glove compartment for all the different vaccine certs the MP told her to just go as there were too many cars building up behind her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Works for me - blame all the woe on the foreigners.

As I said, and I've said several times although you're evidently determined to mis-represent it, the issue isn't "the foreigners" but tourism.

While obviously connected, the two aren't the same.

"the problem has always been tourism and travel in all its forms and everything it needs - simply compare Thailand pre-Songkran 2021 and Thailand post-Songkran 2021."

I have just returned from Phuket and I can tell you that no bars are pretending to be restaurants on Bangla Road they are just open as usual. I was there for 6 days and almost everything is open in Phuket with Bangla Road being extra busy and NYE it was mobbed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I have just returned from Phuket and I can tell you that no bars are pretending to be restaurants on Bangla Road they are just open as usual. I was there for 6 days and almost everything is open in Phuket with Bangla Road being extra busy and NYE it was mobbed.

Must have changed a lot in 14 days then.
Returned from Phuket on 15 December.
Before I found several restaurants temporally or permanently closed. Quiet on 2nd and 3rd Street in Patong, Soi Wattana restaurants closed, Jungceylon (and restaurants) closed, Patong Central department store closed.
Could park my car on Beach Road to eat in a seafood restaurant, but seeing hectic Bangla did not go there.
Prefered to stay in Kathu. I rent there, fknow some good restaurants all open working for locals and expats. Central Festival and Central Floresta open.