News Forum - Samui businesses call for Test & Go to be reinstated, Samui to be included in sandbox

Thaiger

Tourism operators on the island of Samui are urging the government to reconsider the suspension of the Test & Go entry scheme. Operators are also asking for a sandbox programme for Samui, demanding to know why this is currently limited to Phuket only. According to a Pattaya News report, operators have cited multiple cancellations of hotel bookings from foreign tourists who had been planning to visit. The government suspended the Test & Go entry scheme, which has only a minimal quarantine requirement, over concerns about the rapidly spreading Omicron variant. Tourism operators on Samui say the sudden suspension has left […]

The story Samui businesses call for Test & Go to be reinstated, Samui to be included in sandbox as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

We visited Samui a few weeks ago and I was awestruck at what the pandemic has done to this beautiful island. If you think places like Pattaya have been hit hard, you should visit Samui. I would say the That 60% of the resorts in Chaweng are not just closed, but rotting to the ground. When there is no 7-11 on the main beach road, things are bad. Very few restaurants left open. Completely devastated. Very sad!

8 minutes ago, Txman33 said:

We visited Samui a few weeks ago and I was awestruck at what the pandemic has done to this beautiful island. If you think places like Pattaya have been hit hard, you should visit Samui. I would say the That 60% of the resorts in Chaweng are not just closed, but rotting to the ground. When there is no 7-11 on the main beach road, things are bad. Very few restaurants left open. Completely devastated. Very sad!

We should have been in Samui late January (after CM) but like all the others, cancelled. Sad to hear it is devastated by Covid.

• Like 1

What I am about to say would not please, but I find it quite logical to protect Thailand from this new virus. The test and go formula is not reliable and it is in fact the provinces that do not profit at all from tourism that are affected now. It's a pity for the tourism but Thailand is 69 million people, the hoteliers should think about it and be satisfied with the sandbox. Thai people do not wish to condemn themselves on the altar of tourism...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guevara said:

We should have been in Samui late January (after CM) but like all the others, cancelled. Sad to hear it is devastated by Covid.

Let's get one thing clear, it's been devastated by the government, not by covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Let's get one thing clear, it's been devastated by the government, not by covid.

I think Can-o-cha and his flunkies have a symbiotic relationship with Covid.

8 hours ago, Guevara said:

Nothing is devastated by the virus, but by the completely senseless and incomprehensible measures taken. Not just in Thailand but the world over. The virus might be dangerous or even deadly for some, but it certainly is lethal for billions of people worldwide trying to survive. Of course those in power are not affected, knowing that their income and privileges are secure.

• Like 1