News Forum - UPDATE: Israeli escapee given slap-on-the-wrist fine

Thaiger

Just now, Rain said:

Wow. You've been 2 years personally isolated? Really....?

That's an odd discipline that probably isn't necessary.

Nonetheless - best to ya.

Only out with family for dinners and movies and shopping. Nothing as going out to have drinks as have done it only at home. Yeah it is a shocker for sure. Last night made me re-live something that I truly never thought I missed for a now and then. Life is precious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But would not this be a large fine for a lot of Thais ….. if bar is set high with large fines lots of Thais may struggle to pay them. 

but howcome they talking about 40k Bht fine and up to 2 years in monkey house ?

and it just comes out with 2K bht and deportation ,this 2 k bht fine won't scare off some people to do the same , i think.

Hope they ban him for enter to Thailand for long long time 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slacker77 said:

but howcome they talking about 40k Bht fine and up to 2 years in monkey house ?

and it just comes out with 2K bht and deportation ,this 2 k bht fine won't scare off some people to do the same , i think.

They don't want bad PR. So it is a win win for all.

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

They don't want bad PR. So it is a win win for all.

Probably checked his wallet and credit cards and found he is on a shoe string budget.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Somchai said:

The lab that gave false positive result should be fined first of all.

But I guess they dont even apologise.

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Make me think how many more false positive tests came out 

His original sample was tested twice - both tested positive.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, diegogg said:

Funny how things are. If he would have stayed at the hotel waiting for the test, he would have faced a much bigger bill and a much longer detention.

No, he wouldn't have had a bill at all - whether he would have had to stay in an SQ hotel or in quarantine it would have been covered by his mandatory insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slacker77 said:

There's nothing to say he'll be deported yet.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, palooka said:

Probably checked his wallet and credit cards and found he is on a shoe string budget.

Well he is Jewish. Hahahahaha. Just a joke people so don’t hang me for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

The people have insurance and a nice earner for the hospital considering they would need to carry out any treatment  

Not correct.

If he was asymptomatic, as he was, and it was 'regular' Covid, he would probably be isolated in an SQ hotel of his choice.

He could also be re-tested as many times as he was happy to pay for by different hospitals / testers.

This whole 'nice earner' / fraudulent test idea holds no water at all and could never be profitable or possible, but that doesn't stop it being bandied about here with no evidence or explanation of how it could work in the real world at all.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Not correct.

If he was asymptomatic, as he was, and it was 'regular' Covid, he would probably be isolated in an SQ hotel of his choice.

He could also be re-tested as many times as he was happy to pay for by different hospitals / testers.

This whole 'nice earner' / fraudulent test idea holds no water at all and could never be profitable or possible, but that doesn't stop it being bandied about here with no evidence or explanation of how it could work in the real world at all.

As far as I am aware , anyone who tests positive has to stay in a hospital and as the hospital do the tests , he can have as many positive ones as he likes and it would be profitable by keeping a guy him hospital for 10 days and charging him 300 000 Baht for the stay

I think most people are unaware that most of the mandates are nearly useless with Omicron.

nearly all people can be carriers even the triple vaccinated or those having natural immunity. The vaccines have been reduced to a therapeutic given in advance, nothing more

we now see numerous cruises where all the passengers were vaccinated and all tested negative when boarding and still having outbreaks where dozens are infected within 4 or 5 days. 
it seems people can be  undetectable carriers for several days before they become  confirmed positive.

fortunately we also know that omicron is not very potent and has few serious symptoms to otherwise healthy people. Therapeutics are widely available to treat most even with more serious symptoms.

seems the best course of action now is to accept that omicron  is nearly unpreventable, so best to focus on isolation of the vulnerable, having available testing and therapeutics and let life go on to prevent serious economic damage to the country. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

LOL,

that wasn't much for penalty ,wonder how Thai people now are thinking of this mild punishment 

Do Thais think at all ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

this 2 k bht fine won't scare off some people to do the same , i think.

Just like the small fine the PM got for not wearing his mask. Originally meant to be 20k TB, but as only a first offence he got 6000 TB. A stepped / incremental fine system. Just like this most probably. Or maybe a Christmas card was received by someone during the decision making process? Maybe snuck under a can of Red Bull on their desk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

As far as I am aware , anyone who tests positive has to stay in a hospital and as the hospital do the tests , he can have as many positive ones as he likes and it would be profitable by keeping a guy him hospital for 10 days and charging him 300 000 Baht for the stay

As I said, "not correct", on any count.

Whether they're hospitalised or not depends on the symptoms, you can have the tests done elsewhere, and nobody pays wherever they're quarantined as it's a mandatory part of their health insurance for foreign visitors and is free for Thais.

... all widely reported, including here.

2 hours ago, Rick777 said:

... seems the best course of action now is to accept that omicron  is nearly unpreventable, so best to focus on isolation of the vulnerable, having available testing and therapeutics and let life go on to prevent serious economic damage to the country. 

Wouldn't "isolation of the vulnerable" cause a fair amount of "serious economic damage to the country" since they make up at least a third of the population?

... plus, of course, the people needed to look after the third of the population who are vulnerable ...

Had a chance to implement a harsh punishment to emphasie the disrespect to Thailand's Laws and her people. Maybe this kid was related to Red Bull and got a laughable punishment to. Oh, wait a minute, one hasn't yet faced justice for their crime yet have they, seems the rich can and do get away with it. 

3 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Had a chance to implement a harsh punishment to emphasie the disrespect to Thailand's Laws and her people. Maybe this kid was related to Red Bull and got a laughable punishment to. Oh, wait a minute, one hasn't yet faced justice for their crime yet have they, seems the rich can and do get away with it. 

I haven't heard about that , what happened to the Red Bull heir..........................................🙃

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

A  huge fine or worse would suggest that Thai law is applied in an emotional, vengeful way that is highly sensitive to popular opinions and political drives. In this case (which is uncomparable to the Red Bull case), it should objectively just be about deterring other, future tourists from trying similar stunts. That deterrence has already been achieved by the certainty of being chased & caught, not the severity of the penalty.

I found this rather ominous:

[H]e still clearly violated [...] a lesser general law to punish people who enter the country and go places they are not allowed to go.

Can I have this list of places where I'm not allowed to go?  It would be helpful to know in advance.