News Forum - Thailand Omicron update: More than 500 cases, many Test & Go travellers

Thaiger

21 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Thailand does not give a rat a** about anything else of what the government does in the whole world in controlling COVID-19 & Omicron variant. Thailand says it's "us vs them"

I think most people in most countries do not care about what is happening in other countries, therefore Thailand is not different to any other.

The main thing is a country should care about its own population, that way we will be all OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace035 said:

Thailand does not give a rat a** about anything else of what the government does in the whole world in controlling COVID-19 & Omicron variant. Thailand says it's "us vs them"

I wouldnt agree.  If you recall, in January and February of 2020 there were confirmed cases of COVID in Thailand but it was treated like any other illness.  It wasnt until the EU and the USA started shutting its doors that Thailand went into lockdown and started imposing restrictions.  

I would place a fair wager if the west all decided to revert back to normal (not a "new normal") Thailand would quickly follow suit.   It seems many of the policies are to look good for other governments and potential travelers.  

Edited by MrNovax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

I wouldnt agree.  If you recall, in January and February of 2020 there were confirmed cases of COVID in Thailand but it was treated like any other illness.  It wasnt until the EU and the USA started shutting its doors that Thailand went into lockdown and started imposing restrictions.  

I would place a fair wager if the west all decided to revert back to normal (not a "new normal") Thailand would quickly follow suit.   It seems many of the policies are to look good for other governments and potential travelers.  

Make sense enough & I agree with you. So, do you think Thailand will follow the new rules and procedures on what the CDC does in America about isolation and quarantine?  Vaccinated positive only 5 days, unvaccinated 10 days and the important is getting booster, not required to quarantine but have to wear mask for 10 days. Will find out after Jan 4.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Nice call and points made.

This has been my observations all along regarding Thai authorities copycat policies and actions. 

If you remember, the first year of Covid - Thailand was among the top 3-4 countries that had remarkably low numbers and societal adherence towards said mitigation measures. By early 2021, they had changed their game - lockdowns, closures and restrictions in place - when it really wasn't that bad....still. As it isn't today. 

Much of the West had implemented such harsh restrictions during this time [for quite a while], Thai authoritarian logic decided to play the game when it truly wasn't needed. 

17 hours ago, ace035 said:

Make sense enough & I agree with you. So, do you think Thailand will follow the new rules and procedures on what the CDC does in America about isolation and quarantine?  Vaccinated positive only 5 days, unvaccinated 10 days and the important is getting booster, not required to quarantine but have to wear mask for 10 days. Will find out after Jan 4.

Sheer speculation is that Thai authorities wont move in lock step.  Its been my observation they dont want to mimic too closely so they can claim autonomy.  Overall I full expect them to move with the trend though.  

There is speculation that with the new "O" variant out and being significantly milder by every measure there may be political wiggle room to walk some of this back in the US.  Biden's numbers are terribly low and the Democrats looking to be in serious trouble heading into the mid-terms.  The vast majority of "special elections" and off year elections here in the US have been won by candidates with a message of returning to normal.  I know my state (PA) had a special ballot measure to take away our governors authority to impose emergency measures more than 2 weeks which effectively ended all the restrictions in my state.  PA usually solidly leans in the other direction but the measure won easily.  I could go into a much further breakdown but there is now hope that as we get into spring the pollical forces will be too strong and a lot of this goes completely away in the USA. 

At that point if EU or Australia follow suit it would give cover to Thai authorities to follow suit.  But if EU/Australia persist with this while the majority of the USA goes back to normal it will be interesting to see what they do.  

On 12/28/2021 at 7:38 PM, Marc26 said:

I live in Vancouver 

We have had mask requirements in all indoors 

We have quarantine passports

We have had some of the lowest covid #xs consistently throughout this pandemic

And I guarantee to you, that our lives here have been much less interrupted than places where they have bitched and whined

You can have sensible measures without lockdowns

But some places and people want to whine

Vancouver is not a country last time I checked.  You apparently drank the media kool aid that all those restrictions have helped.  There are countries that have had more restrictions than others and there are mountains of data that show it hasn't made any difference whatsoever. Especially with Omicron.  As long as you are breathing you will probably get it.  Doesn't matter how often you wash your hands, doesn't matter if you always wear a mask and avoid public places.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, HolyCowCm said:

If it is the same one then she is really loony tunes. Your safer to pay to play . 

I avoid both--i have 2 working hands and pretty good wifi

In these covid times-do unto yourself what u would normally do unto crazy thai gals..on a budget

On 12/30/2021 at 12:59 AM, JamesR said:

the numbers are large here compared to many countries, but then again we see the truth  (snip)

Well, every UK government committee that's looked at the UK's testing has said that it's been a dismal failure and a complete waste of $50 billion ... but what do they know 😂 ?

5 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

500 "cases" is anyone sick? What is the breakdown on actual sick patients?

Never mind about that......and minor details/reality. 

It's all about the fabricated and sensationalized push. 

Nothing behind the curtains.

10 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I avoid both--i have 2 working hands and pretty good wifi

In these covid times-do unto yourself what u would normally do unto crazy thai gals..on a budget

Two hands? Must be a giant.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:34 AM, ace035 said:

If they do, they won't be following the US's lead, apart from mistakenly - the US has vaccinated primarily with Pfizer and Moderna, plus J&J; Thailand has vaccinated primarily with Sinovac.

Very different.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

If they do, they won't be following the US's lead, apart from mistakenly - the US has vaccinated primarily with Pfizer and Moderna, plus J&J; Thailand has vaccinated primarily with Sinovac.

Very different.

Not really.  I think the total of all given so far is around half western vaccines and half the Chinese stuff right.  As time goes on it will be more and more of the western ones.

Edited by samiam123

On 12/28/2021 at 9:02 PM, TV7 said:

I read in an (serious) article that this virus is seven times more contagious than the Delta and gives three times less severe symptoms than Delta. Also, two vaccines won’t do much protection, and a booster is necessary. Too make a long story short, that doesn’t look good. If with Delta 1 in 100 would end up in the hospital, now 1 in 300 would. But it’s the number 700 comparing to Delta (7 times more contagious) that will put 2,1 person into the hospital. So, the healthcare system will be under more pressure, even if it’s less fatal. Let’s hope that this new virus will be start of the end of covid and it will turn into a flu kind of illness.

Hospitalization went down in the countries with big outbreaks with Omicron, so your claims are wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Not really.  I think the total of all given so far is around half western vaccines and half the Chinese stuff right.  As time goes on it will be more and more of the western ones.

"Not really"?

What I said is what happened, which is very easily verified!

51 million of the 102 million jabs so far were with Sinovac or Sinopharm, mainly with Sinovac.

Of those, many were given as single jabs of Sinovac (1 x Sinovac + 1 x AZ), so more than half those vaccinated have had at least one dose of "the Chinese stuff".

What happens "as time goes on" is of zero relevance, since the point I quoted was about whether Thailand would follow America's lead on January 4 which is in two days time 😂.

4 hours ago, Stardust said:

Hospitalization went down in the countries with big outbreaks with Omicron, so your claims are wrong.

Not correct at all.

@TV7 is absolutely spot on despite what you and others commenting here have wrongly claimed.

Going back to 1 November, hospitalizations and numbers in ICU's have remained steady or climbed in those countries with big outbreaks and a population with a similar average age to Thailand, such as the UK, France,  and the USA.

In the UK they've remained steady at around 9,000 and 900 in ICU's.

In France they've doubled from 6,500 and 1,000 to 17,500 and 3,500.

In the USA they've also doubled  from 44,000 and 13,000 to 82,500 and 17,500.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stardust said:

Correct. But you know the usual suspects will deny this. In the UK over 80% of people in hospital with omicron were admitted for something else and then tested positive after arrival. That says it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Not correct at all.

@TV7 is absolutely spot on despite what you and others commenting here have wrongly claimed.

Going back to 1 November, hospitalizations and numbers in ICU's have remained steady or climbed in those countries with big outbreaks and a population with a similar average age to Thailand, such as the UK, France,  and the USA.

In the UK they've remained steady at around 9,000 and 900 in ICU's.

In France they've doubled from 6,500 and 1,000 to 17,500 and 3,500.

In the USA they've also doubled  from 44,000 and 13,000 to 82,500 and 17,500.

This cases were not Omicron! So you are wrong!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 5:07 AM, kmc said:

What's the difference between 500 cases of omicron and 500,000 cases of omicron?

Are we to presume that increased cases means increased death (despite the vax, and despite the decreased morbidity of omicron)

And again I say, the only virus to fear...is the media!

The main difference is many of those 500 folks are in for a wild ride within the Thai hospital(ity) system... I still say you need to be desperate or crazy (or both) to risk flying into THA right now.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:56 AM, samiam123 said:

Vancouver is not a country last time I checked.  You apparently drank the media kool aid that all those restrictions have helped.  There are countries that have had more restrictions than others and there are mountains of data that show it hasn't made any difference whatsoever. Especially with Omicron.  As long as you are breathing you will probably get it.  Doesn't matter how often you wash your hands, doesn't matter if you always wear a mask and avoid public places.

Alas, the end is near. Let's hope so. 

And......the end doesn't dwell on perceived and deluded cultural comparatives [or superlatives]. 

Nature is already preparing a selected extermination era for those most destructive, disconnected and feeling superior. 

3 hours ago, Stardust said:

This cases were not Omicron! So you are wrong!

Well, yes and no.

'Yes', not all of those cases were Omicron - some were and some weren't.

... and 'no', I'm not "wrong" since what you said (your entire post replying to @TV7) was:

10 hours ago, Stardust said:

and beyond any possible doubt "hospitalization" did NOT go "down in the countries with big outbreaks with Omicron" but it went UP - in the UK the number of hospitalizations from Covid was steady, while in the US it nearly doubled and in France it nearly trebled.

...and if you're trying to say that the number of Omicron cases hospitalized went down that's not correct either since prior to November 22nd when Omicron was first discovered, the number of cases of Omicron was rather obviously zero.

5 hours ago, Rangers said:

Correct. But you know the usual suspects will deny this. In the UK over 80% of people in hospital with omicron were admitted for something else and then tested positive after arrival. That says it all. 

Do you have a source for that?

I ask because all the sources I can find that give a figure suggest closer to the reverse - that it's 29%, not 80:

"The number of Covid-19 admissions includes people admitted to hospital in the previous 24 hours who were known to have Covid-19, plus patients diagnosed in hospital with Covid-19 in the previous 24 hours.

Separate data on hospital admissions suggests that 71% of Covid patients in hospitals in England on December 21 were primarily being treated for the virus.

The remaining 29% were there “with Covid”, suggesting they tested positive on arrival for another ailment or tested positive during their stay."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/england-admissions-b974351.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/england-covid-b1984559.html

That's after they all say the number of hospitalizations in England (or the UK where they refer to it) has gone up:

"The latest data from NHS England shows there were 11,452 people in hospital in England with Covid-19 as of 8am on Thursday, up 61% from a week earlier and the highest number since February 26....

...This is up 90% week-on-week and is the highest number since February 3."

Even those I found that didn't give a figure still said that it was a "majority":

"NHS England has said that Covid patients primarily being treated for something else still have to be separated from non-Covid patients and the virus can be “a significant co-morbidity”.

It added: “The majority of inpatients with Covid-19 are admitted as a result of the infection.

“A subset of those who contract Covid in the community and are asymptomatic, or exhibited relatively mild symptoms that on their own are unlikely to warrant admission to hospital, will then be admitted to hospital to be treated for something else and be identified through routine testing.

“However these patients still require their treatment in areas that are segregated from patients without Covid, and the presence of Covid can be a significant co-morbidity in many cases.

“Equally, while the admission may be due to another primary condition, in many instances this may have been as a result of contracting Covid in the community. For example, research has shown that people with Covid are more likely to have a stroke. In these cases people would be admitted for the stroke, classified as ‘with’ Covid despite having had a stroke as a result of having Covid.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fall-proportion-covid-hospital-patients-135142951.html

I doubt they're all wrong, but it'd be very intertesting to compare them with your source.