News Forum - Thai medic says most Omicron cases mild or asymptomatic, expects jump in numbers

Thaiger

The head of the Department of Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis at Siriraj Hospital says most of Thailand’s Omicron infections are mild or asymptomatic. However, Dr Nithipat Jearakul has warned of a surge in case numbers, according to a Nation Thailand report. To date, around 200 Omicron infections have been confirmed in the kingdom, but Nithipat says we will soon see a jump in cases, particularly around the start of the new year. According to the doctor, as of December 19, only around 3% of infections have been confirmed as the Omicron variant. However, he says that low percentage is predicted […]

The story Thai medic says most Omicron cases mild or asymptomatic, expects jump in numbers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The head of the Department of Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis at Siriraj Hospital says most of Thailand’s Omicron infections are mild or asymptomatic. However, Dr Nithipat Jearakul has warned of a surge in case numbers, according to a Nation Thailand report. To date, around 200 Omicron infections have been confirmed in the kingdom, but Nithipat says we will soon see a jump in cases, particularly around the start of the new year. According to the doctor, as of December 19, only around 3% of infections have been confirmed as the Omicron variant. However, he says that low percentage is predicted […]

The story Thai medic says most Omicron cases mild or asymptomatic, expects jump in numbers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

the scaremonger crew will be along in a minute to tell you it's not true and we will all die of a runny nose. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rangers said:

the scaremonger crew will be along in a minute to tell you it's not true and we will all die of a runny nose. 

...and they will spend all day writing about it as usual to convince themselves as there is nobody else to convince.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Most" infections are mild, but a steep increase in cases may still produce enough serious infections to overload the health care system.

That's not scaremongering, it's facing reality.

Edited by astro
  • Like 4

Just now, astro said:

"Most" infections are mild, but a steep increase in cases may still produce enough serious infections to overload the health care system.

are you scared?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, astro said:

It's not the virus that's overloading the health care system, it's the isolation rules that cause a lack of staff. The virus has become that mild there is no need for these isolation rules anymore.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, astro said:

A reality that some prefer to ignore.

• Like 3

And if they stick to only low testing numbers then the reported numbers will also be low, this is the general practice throughout the country anyway, is it not.

TIT.

35 minutes ago, Rangers said:

It's not the virus that's overloading the health care system, it's the isolation rules that cause a lack of staff. The virus has become that mild there is no need for these isolation rules anymore.

It's both.

Even with the staff - and some countries are over-ruling the isolation requirement for staff, subject to PPE, as they can't cope - hospitals are still unable to cope.

Just look at the delays in the UK.

That isn't "scaremongering" just recognising reality instead of stamping across a minefield with your fingers in your ears saying 'well, we're all right so far'.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's both.

Even with the staff - and some countries are over-ruling the isolation requirement for staff, subject to PPE, as they can't cope - hospitals are still unable to cope.

Just look at the delays in the UK.

That isn't "scaremongering" just recognising reality instead of stamping across a minefield with your fingers in your ears saying 'well, we're all right so far'.

None of that has anything to do with Omicron though. Covid hospitalizations in the UK have been dropping enormously since earlier in the year and the huge spike we were promised from Omicron simply hasn't happened. 

I know it'll fall on deaf ears but I'll say it again, this is the beginning of the end. Then what will you do?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Covid hospitalizations in the UK have been dropping enormously since earlier in the year and the huge spike we were promised from Omicron simply hasn't happened. 

Not according to the NHS and GovUK, whose stats show that the numbers hospitalised and in ICU's with Covid have been steadily around 8,000 and 900 per day respectively since August.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

They could be wrong, of course.

... and IIRC the spike was due next year ...

31 minutes ago, Rangers said:

I know it'll fall on deaf ears but I'll say it again, this is the beginning of the end. Then what will you do?

I'll be very happy to return to a normal life, as I'm sure will everyone else.

Until that happens, though, I won't be counting my chickens .....

• Like 3

You don't have to be a medic to know this now, but i guess being one gives more credibility. Looks like Thailand getting up to speed with what already known since almost a day 1

just trying to post before this thread getting locked :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rangers said:

Some empty heads always follow every iratinal ways thats why they oftwn play mouthpiece of dictatorships. If they would be able to think they could realize the risk for death when breathing the air of Bangkok and eat the poisond food  daily the risk to die is much much higher than to get any problem with Omicron. There are dying more people each year because of airpolution but this posters not say a word or complain.

• Like 2

Tracking cases instead of hospitalizations/deaths.  And btw, anyone who dies beyond average life expectancy doesn't actually die from covid.  The only virus to fear is the media.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

A reality that some prefer to ignore.

And he took the bait. 😂

Who needs to say what, to make you say: hmm, Covid is officially not dangerous anymore? 

Can you still answer my question from the previous post? Because I'd like to have a view from a covid expert on this one. 

How can the UK (70.3% vaccination rate) suffer so much more from Omicron than where it was discovered; South Africa (26.6% vaccination rate)?🤔

In South Africa they have no clue what they are crying about in Europe. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, astro said:

It's tragic maybe the nurses will not have enough time to do their tik tok videos.  Shame that the health care systems are not prepared now after 2 years and trillions of dollars.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

46 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Some empty heads always follow every iratinal ways thats why they oftwn play mouthpiece of dictatorships. If they would be able to think they could realize the risk for death when breathing the air of Bangkok and eat the poisond food  daily the risk to die is much much higher than to get any problem with Omicron. There are dying more people each year because of airpolution but this posters not say a word or complain.

Exactly! 

Look up on google: dangers of.... (fill in sitting, walking, standing, breathing) you can literally die from anything. 

I think these people either want to keep people in lockdown until:

-every virus has been removed from Earth. 

OR

- Give people enough boosters until death has been beaten and no one will ever die anymore. 

• Like 1

The dwindling end of COVID? 

NOOOOO! This can't be true and will not be allowed to take place.

What will the ever-vigilant repressive systems do with themselves?

Guess they'll hafta make something else up.......probably working on these things as we speak. 

48 minutes ago, kmc said:

Tracking cases instead of hospitalizations/deaths.  And btw, anyone who dies beyond average life expectancy doesn't actually die from covid.  The only virus to fear is the media.  

I'd like to add to that, track current cases. Not like at the begin of the 'pandemic' only the totals. The number of current cases in Thailand was always pretty low, but they kept adding it up only to show the total cases (which looks way scarier). 

In the news it has always only been about deaths, never about how many people recovered. Maybe they should report that. Have a bit of positive news for a change. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rain said:

The dwindling end of COVID? 

NOOOOO! This can't be true and will not be allowed to take place.

What will the ever-vigilant repressive systems do with themselves?

Guess they'll hafta make something else up.......probably working on these things as we speak. 

They'll always have climate change as plan B. Has been since the 80s or so. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I'd like to add to that, track current cases. Not like at the begin of the 'pandemic' only the totals. The number of current cases in Thailand was always pretty low, but they kept adding it up only to show the total cases (which looks way scarier). 

In the news it has always only been about deaths, never about how many people recovered. Maybe they should report that. Have a bit of positive news for a change. 

That's not the way it works. 

18 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

And he took the bait. 😂

Who needs to say what, to make you say: hmm, Covid is officially not dangerous anymore? 

Can you still answer my question from the previous post? Because I'd like to have a view from a covid expert on this one. 

How can the UK (70.3% vaccination rate) suffer so much more from Omicron than where it was discovered; South Africa (26.6% vaccination rate)?🤔

In South Africa they have no clue what they are crying about in Europe. 

I read and I synthesized

- when Omicron arrived in UK the Delta virus was circulating a lot

- winter in UK (indoor population) vs summer in SA

- many AS are immune by the successive waves of Beta and Delta

- average age in AS of 28 years old

- many overweight people in UK vs SA

- vaccine protects against severe forms, not disease, vaccinees are contagious less time.

• Like 1