News Forum - Risk of Covid-19 infection on flights increased due to Omicron

Thaiger

As tourism has been gaining traction until the Omicron variant threw a wrench into the works, the CCSA has warned that the chances of catching Covid-19 on flights have increased because of the more transmissible new variant. The warning has been repeated out to Thai people after a statement made by the International Air Transport Association, the global influential organization of airlines and travel agents, cautioning of the increased risk. IATA officials reported the risk of catching Covid-19 on airplane flights has doubled or even tripled with the emergence of the Omicron variant. While wearing masks on a flight has […]

The story Risk of Covid-19 infection on flights increased due to Omicron as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So many times, on a plane, I've listened to the crew go through the safety briefing. "If oxygen is required, a mask will drop from the overhead compartment. Pull it down, place it over your nose and mouth and breath normally. It will work even if the bag doesn't inflate". Now if they could just activate it as soon as I sit in my seat, I could arrive Covid free!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

So many times, on a plane, I've listened to the crew go through the safety briefing. "If oxygen is required, a mask will drop from the overhead compartment. Pull it down, place it over your nose and mouth and breath normally. It will work even if the bag doesn't inflate". Now if they could just activate it as soon as I sit in my seat, I could arrive Covid free!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only if you flew less than 10 miles.

It only lasts about 20 minutes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

The one thing that is most commonly shared & touched by people on a flight is the lavatory. Taking a hint from the fact that armrest ashtrays are glued shut on many flights, I'm predicting the same will happen to the lavatory lock. Boarding requirements will not only consist of proof of identity and vaccination status, but also proof of a recent toilet visit.

• Haha 4
  • Angry 1

49 minutes ago, kmc said:

but omicron is nothing more than the common cold.  what is wrong with people (rhetorical).

My guess is the media keeping the hype going so they don’t lose advertising money.  Having no crisis is boring so it is big business keeping everyone scared waiting for latest updates and make money.  The common cold?  Not my field of expertise so I don’t really know.  For me it is an annoyance, as I am hoping to fly back to the States at the end of the month and hoping no flight cancelations like what happened with British Airways or the several domestic flights in the US the past few days.  I waited until Thailand started opening back up again so it will be easier to return without ASQ or Sandbox, but then this crap threw a wrench in the planning 😫.   I am concerned that Thai officials will lock things down too much again after the holiday season on 4 Jan and make it very difficult to return to Thailand or more expensive than needed.

• Like 2

Meanwhile South Africa stopped contact tracing of Omicron patients , as the symptoms were  so mild , and resulted such a  low number of hospitalisations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, astro said:

^Link?

It could also be that they simply don't have the resources & manpower to keep tracking?

Nothing to do with manpower, I posted a link to this article a while back. They just conceded it was futile and even counterproductive with the amount of asymptomatic omicron spread.

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Only if you flew less than 10 miles.

It only lasts about 20 minutes.

Not something I ever want to have personal proof of ! I have been told the cockpit has a better independent  supply. That's so not reassuring !lol

16 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Not something I ever want to have personal proof of ! I have been told the cockpit has a better independent  supply. That's so not reassuring !lol

Rest assured that its main function is to get down to 14,000ft where the air is breathable.

The drivers have a better system which is airtight and connected  to an oxygen reservoir so if you want to save yourself, get off with a pilot. 😀

The International Air Transport Association has since clarified these remarks, stating that:

“The aircraft cabin remains a very low risk environment for contracting Covid-19 even though Omicron appears to be more transmissible than other variants in all environments”.

I just took 5 flights in 11 days including 2 long haul, negative all the way, I'm double jabbed and boosted, I wore a mask, I kept my distance as best I could.

I don't want it but I'm not worried about it, the vaccines work against serious illness, that is beyond dispute in my opinion.

• Like 5

since on nearly all international flights all passengers must have pcr test before,

it is much safer than to go to a restaurant or shopping mall,
where they may check for fully vaccinated only

How about the old ideal of practicing mitigation protocol? 

You know how that works: if the Cooties have no where to go or new host to infect, then the spread will peter out. Or not.

24 minutes ago, Rain said:

How about the old ideal of practicing mitigation protocol? 

You know how that works: if the Cooties have no where to go or new host to infect, then the spread will peter out. Or not.

I think China is doing that now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astro said:

If you wear a tight fitting 95 mask and don't drink or eat during the flight, masks "work". 🙂

Unless you are getting fogging on your specs, which show that your breath is escaping un-filtered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Rest assured that its main function is to get down to 14,000ft where the air is breathable.

The drivers have a better system which is airtight and connected  to an oxygen reservoir so if you want to save yourself, get off with a pilot. 😀

That might work for a female attendant ! I am too old and wrinkly . And ....I have a false sense of  self respect !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

That might work for a female attendant ! I am too old and wrinkly . And ....I have a false sense of  self respect !

Got any money? Thats a great assistant. 😃

• Like 1