News Forum - Phuket officials crack down on hotels that let tourists leave before Covid test results

Thaiger

Officials in Phuket are to get tough on SHA Plus hotels that allow foreign tourists to leave before they’ve received their Covid-19 test results. Deputy governor Phichet Panapong says many properties are openly breaking the rules and officials plan to make an example of 2 hotels known to have broken the law. According to an ASEAN NOW report, this has been described this as, “slaughtering the chicken in front of the monkey” – a Thai expression for making an example of someone as a warning to others. The report goes on to say that officials are expected to announce a […]

The story Phuket officials crack down on hotels that let tourists leave before Covid test results as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Are they not going to tell us which hotels? 

What, and remove the suspense and intrigue from the thread? . . . Neay!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The penalties are utterly derisory. Phuket needs to grow up and realise it has to protect the whole of the country now it is the main entry point. These places are gambling with the future wellness of the Thai people, not just a few Phukers on that island.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Deputy governor Phichet Panapong says many properties are openly breaking the rules and officials plan to make an example

Like they did with Bars?

• Like 3

"Phichet Panapong says many properties are openly breaking the rules"

I for one am shocked, shocked to find this sort of thing happening here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Phichet Panapong says many properties are openly breaking the rules"

Could be why the RTP won’t be having any Christmas/New Years holidays this year! They will be busy collecting Christmas Cards in Brown Envelopes …. Maybe?

• Haha 1

If this wasn't so serious I would laugh. How about go after the officials who did not do the proper checking up as they should know their own Thai people by now and the slack jack attitude.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The hotel I stayed at in BKK locked the lift I was told as I signed in, I was ok about it as a night sleeping then at 8am get the results breakfast at 9am I was out at 11:30am no problem.

Respect the rules to get back to life with family easy.

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Officials in Phuket are to get tough on SHA Plus hotels that allow foreign tourists to leave before they’ve received their Covid-19 test results.

Looks like my post in another thread about using the Thai military to put armed soldiers outside hotels to prevent quarantinees from unauthorised departure might not be such a bad idea after all.
Even though it's a thankless task, it does appear the hotel staff are incapable or incompetent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Looks like my post in another thread about using the Thai military to put armed soldiers outside hotels to prevent quarantinees from unauthorised departure might not be such a bad idea after all.
Even though it's a thankless task, it does appear the hotel staff are incapable or incompetent.

I'm assuming that was irony. If not, I'll raise it by proposing one-way door locks and barred windows (& a fire-wall that blocks on-line ordering of cakes).

Just have customers deposit their passport (to be returned upon confirmation of a negative test result).
If a customer is stupid enough to self-checkout, thus leaving their passport behind, report asap.

That's all... (admittedly it's less spectacular than e.g. images of receptionists trying to tackle a customer).

4 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I'm assuming that was irony. If not, I'll raise it by proposing one-way door locks and barred windows (& a fire-wall that blocks on-line ordering of cakes).

Just have customers deposit their passport (to be returned upon confirmation of a negative test result).
If a customer is stupid enough to self-checkout, thus leaving their passport behind, report asap.

That's all... (admittedly it's less spectacular than e.g. images of receptionists trying to tackle a customer).

Do these hotels now hang on to the passport until the quarantinee  is cleared?
Wasn't he refused check-in at a Pattaya hotel due to no passport, or did he have it, but refuse to show it I wonder?

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Do these hotels now hang on to the passport until the quarantinee  is cleared?
Wasn't he refused check-in at a Pattaya hotel due to no passport, or did he have it, but refuse to show it I wonder?

I wondered about that too (if the unwillingness was perhaps based on simply not being able to present a passport). My "asap" point should cover that.  

Let's also not forget that tens of thousands of visitors (too lazy to get accurate numbers now) could have acted the in the same way but they didn't. There can (and perhaps, will) always be somebody stupid enough to try anyway, whatever counter-measures have been put in place. It's about finding a solution that works 99.9999% of the time. Anything more is overkill (or rather economic suicide).

2 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I wondered about that too (if the unwillingness was perhaps based on simply not being able to present a passport). My "asap" point should cover that.  

Let's also not forget that tens of thousands of visitors (too lazy to get accurate numbers now) could have acted the in the same way but they didn't. There can (and perhaps, will) always be somebody stupid enough to try anyway, whatever counter-measures have been put in place. It's about finding a solution that works 99.9999% of the time. Anything more is overkill (or rather economic suicide).

My friend returned to Thailand after a funeral in the US. He told me there were opportunities to disappear - this was while he was still at Suvanaphum airport.

There was a group of Thai returnees who did just that a year or so back. They found (I think) an emergency exit at the airport and were off onto Bangkok.

So the arrogant Israeli was far from an isolated incident? That should piss off the covid don who promised no omnicron in Thailand on his watch! Maybe he shouldn't have relied on someone whose family figured he was too much of a liability for the family firm!?

Perhaps that exit lane passed the canteen of the off-duty officers, some of which thought that a group of people wearing plain clothes and carrying suitcases was suspicious. Do you/your friend know for a fact that those arrivals by-passed exit-screening?

That's rhetorical: I really don't care whether or not it happened as described. I'm sure even now people are crossing the Myanmar border, even though security has been continuously stepped up.

Again, if you want to reach 100%, you'd have to start by building a wall, and then a dome (and then train worms to become undercover agents). Some solutions are just not worth it.

21 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

My friend returned to Thailand after a funeral in the US. He told me there were opportunities to disappear - this was while he was still at Suvanaphum airport.

There was a group of Thai returnees who did just that a year or so back. They found (I think) an emergency exit at the airport and were off onto Bangkok.

I miss-clicked, see reply to topic for a reply to your latest post.

It just takes 1 infraction to spoil a bunch!

Example, somebody leaves the hotel gets a massage and comes back before he tests positive  ,the vicious cycle starts , at the massage facility!

Worth mentioning ,they could also dine in the hotels restaurant too!

Well Omicron is off and running in Thailand! But because the government is cracking down and has closed off Test and Go, it might marginally effect the outcome...but I don't think so....