News Forum - Phuket City Mayor says culture and security will attract tourists

Thaiger

While scores of tourists and potential Thailand travellers (including The Thaiger readers) have been vocal that tourism for major Thai destinations like Phuket won’t really rebound until entertainment venues are reopened and booze is allowed to flow freely, the Mayor of Phuket has some other ideas. Phuket City Mayor Saroj Angkanapilas says that the way to bring Phuket back to life is to bulk up cultural tourism to lure domestic travellers and stimulate the local economy. “Phuket City Municipality must stimulate the domestic tourism market, especially in the Phuket Town area with its diverse cultural attractions, unique traditions and lifestyles, […]

The story Phuket City Mayor says culture and security will attract tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Culture and Security?  maybe for a few people.

Dustin Hoffmans character in Rainman. 

That's the only person I can think of, and he's fictional. 🤧 and maybe a few geeky "eat pray love" type granola-yoga females, but they're not going to ring the bell in a beer bar, so...

• Like 2

I would encourage the Phuket mayor to think about why people have been coming to Phuket in the past, and not on why they want people to come in the future. The number of people who have enjoyed the entertainment venues vs. cultural aspects speaks for itself. I don't mean to diminish cultural aspects, because people love that too, but the numbers speak for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I would encourage the Phuket mayor to think about why people have been coming to Phuket in the past, and not on why they want people to come in the future. The number of people who have enjoyed the entertainment venues vs. cultural aspects speaks for itself. I don't mean to diminish cultural aspects, because people love that too, but the numbers speak for themselves.

buT tHe tiN MinE muSeUm, maybe if the tourists have a 13 year old who's into rocks... 555 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

he has ordered 255 CCTV cameras to be installed all over the municipality, vowing to increase crime suppression and prevention by keeping a watchful eye 24/7 over the whole city. He believes that level of security will make travellers feel more safe and confident in visiting the city.

BUT will they work when they install them,  will they be maintained, or will it be like most things in Thailand? 

9 hours ago, Jackson said:

Good point. Lots and lots of people came in the past and suddenly they want to change to something new. If you can make a lot of money in a certain way, why would you change to something that is far likely to make less money? Or are all the high quality tourist going to pay as much compared to the huge amount of people who used to visit? 

And how about the amount of businesses which will have to close because less people will come? I think they didn't really think it through. 

• Like 1

I think the mayor has a long term view and realize that catering to sexpats is not the future. It's only destruction for the majority of Thai people. Good that he has a more wholesome approach. 

High end tourists especially with families don't be be around shirtless drunks chasing girls that could be their daughters or granddaughters.  

• Haha 1

Not to forget:

The local tourism was the reason for the covid wave since April. Which in the top has lead to over 200 infected people on Phuket, a day. 

Why look for silly ideas to attract tourists? It is enough to stop asking for thousands of documents, tests, insurance and stop forcing them to quarantine. The virus is everywhere, in every country in Europe, the USA and also in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stapoz said:

Why look for silly ideas to attract tourists? It is enough to stop asking for thousands of documents, tests, insurance and stop forcing them to quarantine. The virus is everywhere, in every country in Europe, the USA and also in Thailand.

But especially Europe and the US.

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I think the mayor has a long term view and realize that catering to sexpats is not the future. It's only destruction for the majority of Thai people. Good that he has a more wholesome approach. 

High end tourists especially with families don't be be around shirtless drunks chasing girls that could be their daughters or granddaughters.  

You're right on that one, but let's not forget that they use high quality and rich. They are using the wrong words here. Now no one else, other than the rich people, thinks they are welcome. Ok, among those, you have those people you mentioned, but there are many others who arent like that.

If they want to change their image, it could be done in many other ways too. 

3 hours ago, mediagator said:

Fixing the Taxi mafia and taxi scam prices would be a better way to get more people to come instead of 450-800b 1km grab rides/taxis.

Isn't that Phuket's culture? 

One problem here is those that reply don't generally belong the the target audience.  Groups from Asian countries bring in a lot more that single old men or younger thrill speakers from Europe,  Australia or the  US.  These new tourist groups value culture and safety first. They also spend a lot more. I think that businesses that dwell in the past won't make it. The authorities need to looknto the future if they want to grow and survive. 

• Like 1

What a load of crap all this High Quality Tourism and Culture nonsense is. You don't have to be an Economist to look how to pump up your Economy in places like Phuket Samui etc. Drop most of your stupid rules on entry ,  start discount's on Domestic flights , Get the Beach's, bars, Restaurants, clubs, Hotels, packed. There's only one culture the Thais are good at and that's how to Extract cash from Tourists so stick to what your good at.

Mmmmm!

Travel thousands of miles round the world, Choices, choices. A beer or eight, nice girl or boy on your arm, eat your fill of nice exotic food. Or, go take a look at a temple, have a look at a turtle. 

As for domestic tourists, where have they been getting their money from? Is there a part of Thailand not effected by this covid crap?

Another example of opening your mouth and let the wind blow your tounge around!

Just start welcoming the cash cow and golden goose back, hassle free.

The joys of rocket science!

• Like 1

Yes and we will shut down Ibiza, Las Vegas, Amsterdam...and open up the cultural aspects for the moralists. The beauty and profitability of Thailand is about the choices you have....  nobody forces you to go to Bangla.... or on a Temple/Jungle tour , But isnt it great that you can do either or both?

By the way, have a look at Patong today and then go and look at Cape Panwa area .....  who is recovering ?    where are the tourists going? pfftt!   obvious.   If you dont love the diversity..... stay home and watch the Brady Bunch.

Biggles has hit it on the head.

Phuket is just another bucket and spade destination and not a particularly good one at that.

In normal times people have plenty of choice and will happily go elsewhere.

The long held dream of getting a few well healed visitors through the door and Charging them a fortune will remain just that.

They need to wake up or starve.l