News Forum - BREAKING: Registration closes for Test & Go starting today

Thaiger

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Registration is closing today for travellers wishing to enter Thailand under the Test & Go quarantine exemption programme. In an urgent meeting this afternoon, chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration decided to stop accepting new tourists under the entry schemes starting today, according to reports in Thai media. The government will review the situation after the holidays on January 4. Travellers registered to enter Thailand under the Test & Go will still be able to enter Thailand under the programme, but no more travellers will be able to register, according to Thai media. There will […]

The story BREAKING: Registration closes for Test & Go starting today as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Anybody who is effected by this change or confused only has themselves to blame. It was always "Buyer Beware." You were relying on stability and clarity in a world where that does not exist at this time.

• Like 5

I’m glad that at least they are allowing those of us who are already approved to still go.  (If before Jan 10th).  For me its not a vacation, I live there much of the year.

16 minutes ago, Malcom said:

I have my QR code, and will be entering on the 19th of January ( I hope ), What are my chances of entering Thailand ??? ( BKK )

You're fine. Approved Thailand Passes remain valid (for now, anything can change obviously). The 10th of january entry cutoff time was wrong. The Thaiger still has this stated in the article, even though it is flatout wrong.

• Like 1

As we will all see in the coming days, things will get demonstrably worse. If Thailand truly has only one recorded 'community spread' case of Omicron, a dubious claim at best, in reality it already has thousands, possibly tens of thousands of unrecorded cases. I have worked there many times this century, still own property in the province of Chiang Rai, and therefore have been in contact with friends who have recently noted an unrecorded surge of cases in and around hospitals in the city of Chiang Rai, so no doubt the community-based spread is already underway throughout Thailand. All of the above suggests that, despite the confusion over entry (or not) after January 10, in a very few days, the possibility of entry into any province other than Phuket will be limited at best, and non-existent at worst.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Che said:

Well

Well, apparently nothing has changed for travelers already registered. But I would not bet on that. I am pretty sure the list of countries is still to be amended.

It does seem ludicrous to me, that today, one out every 750 people in the UK were infected and it is still on the safe list. Ireland is not much better at about 1 in 1150.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luigi said:

No. Only two test RtPcr when arrive.

I haven't actually seen it written, but I think that these two tests will be seven days apart.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

This is about the best outcome really. For Those already booked there’s no real change except for a day 7 pcr test. This is acceptable to me and I’m looking forward to arriving on New Year’s Day. Panic over, for now…….!

As I understand it, you still need to get your pre-flight PCR test before the COE, or whatever is replacing it is called, will be granted.

10 hours ago, ERIKN said:

Hi, we have a Thai Pass, but we understood that if your entry date is after 10th of January  you are not allowed in The Kingdom.

1  is this true?

2. Is it possible to travel earlier with a Thaipass with an entry date off 12th of January. For example we arrive with same pass on January 6th?

Thank you in advance.

Erik and Alice

Helmond

(Freezing) The Netherlands 

My reading of this report is that the new measures mentioned in it will be reviewed on Jan 10th. 

Regarding bringing forward your trip, I'd check with your local Thai Embassy/Consul.

9 hours ago, Rangers said:

It will change again very soon when they realise how mild omicron is. Even the scaremongering media in the UK are starting to admit it.

As I see the problem the relative mildness is not really an issue. The fact that it seems so easily transmissible increases the chances that it will lead to a new variant that may be far more severe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

As I see the problem the relative mildness is not really an issue. The fact that it seems so easily transmissible increases the chances that it will lead to a new variant that may be far more severe.

While technically possible, it is highly uncommon that a new variant is more severe than the previous one. Obviously it is still possible, but the chances of that happening are really slim.

27 minutes ago, Aevan said:

While technically possible, it is highly uncommon that a new variant is more severe than the previous one. Obviously it is still possible, but the chances of that happening are really slim.

Delta was worse than the three previous variants.

• Like 3

More details on suspension of Test & Go (from Richard Barrow's letters)

Richard Barrow's Letters from Thailand

@richardbarrow

This is an urgent dispatch with official updates about Test and Go as sent to me by the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As you probably have heard by now, the prime minister announced this afternoon the suspension of the Test and Go scheme. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of misinformation about this which has led to much confusion. A senior official at the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs just called me to set the record straight about what is really happening. But first I will paste below their official announcement. Then I will add my own notes from the telephone call.

Announcement

Thailand Pass will be closed for all new Test and Go and Sandbox applications (except Phuket Sandbox), starting from 00.00 hrs. on 22 December 2021 until further notice.

New measures apply for all applicants on Thailand Pass, as follows;

1. Applicants who have received their Thailand Pass QR Code can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered.

2. Applicants who have registered, but have not received their QR Code must wait for their Thailand Pass to be considered / approved. Once approved, they can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered.

3. New applicants will not be able to register for Test and Go and Sandbox measures (except Phuket Sandbox). Thailand Pass will only accept new applicants seeking to enter Thailand under Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or Phuket Sandbox only.

4. Passengers who will arrive in Thailand under Test and Go and Sandbox Programme must undergo their 2nd COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique (not ATK self-test) at government-designated facilities (no additional cost).

Do Not Panic!

To be clear, this is NOT a closure of the borders. It is just a suspension of the Test & Go and the Blue Zone Sandbox (except for Phuket Sandbox) schemes. Everything else will continue as normal.

First the good news, if you are one of 22,000 people who have already applied for a Thailand Pass for Test & Go, Sandbox and Alternative Quarantine, your application is still being processed. If your application is approved, you will be able to come under the original conditions. This means, for Test & Go people, you only need to wait for the results for the first test and then you are free to go. No 7-day quarantine like some media outlets were saying. But you will need to do a second RT-PCR test on Day 7. More on that in a moment.

The bad news is that if your application is rejected after midnight, then you are out of luck. You will need to enter via the Phuket Sandbox or hotel quarantine schemes.

Secondly, the Thailand Pass system is still open for Test & Go applications. So, be quick as you could make it before the midnight deadline. After that time, they will no longer take applications for Test & Go and for Sandbox areas outside of Phuket.

One very important piece of information that the Thai media got wrong is the cut-off date for arriving in Thailand. Basically, there isn’t one. Earlier, the media were saying you must arrive before 10th January if you didn’t want to do quarantine. That is not true. You can arrive on the date that was approved on your application. For example, if you said you are arriving on 25th January, then you still can use Test & Go and only wait one night for the test results.

Many people were asking that if they arrived under Test & Go tomorrow, do they have to do the second RT-PCR test on Day 7. The quick answer to that is no. This is because it is not law yet. The prime minister must first sign the papers and then it must be published in the Royal Gazette. So, if it was published in the gazette on Friday, then anyone arriving on Friday onwards, must do the second test on Day 7. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, this will be free. More details on this soon.

So, does this mean there is no Test & Go in the future? No, that is not true as it is just temporarily suspended. In early January, they will re-evaluate the situation and there will be a new announcement.

If I have any further updates, I will post on my social media - Twitter and Facebook. Can I please ask you not to reply to this email with questions. I have already received two hundred emails today and I cannot keep up. Which is why I prefer to answer questions on social media where I can share the answers with everyone. Thanks for your understanding and good luck!

Useful Links:

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow and https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/richardbarrowthailand

THAILAND PASS: https://tp.consular.go.th/

Did you enjoy this issue? Yes No

Richard Barrow's Letters from Thailand @richardbarrow

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I guess for those of us who bought our tickets and got our Thailand Pass for entry after January 10, we’re out of luck. I’m scheduled to arrive January 21. 

10 minutes ago, Douglas said:

So I guess for those of us who bought our tickets and got our Thailand Pass for entry after January 10, we’re out of luck. I’m scheduled to arrive January 21. 

No. That's not the case. EVERYONE that has received their Thailand Pass can enter the country, also if you're scheduled to arrive on the 21st of January.

Why is this news outlet mentioning that travellers already approved through the Thai Pass system have until Jan 10 2022 to enter ? I cannot find anywhere that states that including the Thai government site ....this is what the official Thai Pass website reads in an important announcement .... it makes no mention of January 10 2022

URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT !

Starting 22 December 2021

Due to the current Covid-19 situation, the registration for Thailand Pass has been revised as follows:

Test & Go scheme will be temporarily suspended from 22 December 2020 at 00.00 hrs (Thailand time)

• For the Sandbox programme, only the Phuket Sandbox (only hotels in Phuket) will be open for registration.

• For applicants who have already been approved under the Test & Go or Sandbox programme, the QR Code remains valid for travel into Thailand.

• For applicants who have registered but have not received the QR Code, your application is in the approval process and will be notified of the result accordingly.

• Effective immediately, all travelers entering Thailand through Test & Go or Sandbox scheme must undergo a second RT-PCR lab test at a government designated venue (cost to be borne by the Thai Government).

• After 00.00 hrs (22 December 2021) all travelers entering Thailand must register under the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) scheme (except those entering Phuket may register through Phuket Sandbox or Alternative Quarantine).

1 hour ago, Douglas said:

Typical Thai screwup.

Almost appears to be unethical for those who have already purchase the program, yet they refuse to honour it.

9 hours ago, Jayce said:

I was going to respond to you @Marc26 but in scrolling down noticed that @AussieBob took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll add this though: best to drop the holier than though routine by claiming Thais would be any different under the same circumstances. I'm more likely to catch Covid from them than they would from me at this point. Yet I'd be put in hospital even after getting it from them whereas they'd still be walking around infecting others the next day. But somehow in your mind, if they would miss out on catching me and I end up walking the same streets again the next day as that Thai person who infected me the night before (so to speak), somehow that makes me the bad guy?? Surely you're having a laugh? Surely you can see the error in your twisted way of thinking?

That doesn't mean to say that, if I started showing some symptoms that I'd start spreading as much Covid around as I possibly could like Christmas cheer as you are inferring by your post which tries to portray me as some Covid serial infector with vicious intent. Just that I'm not a particular fan of losing $$$$ in hotel bookings and forced hospitalisation while asymptomatic when I could very safely self-isolate in my villa and have grabfood and fresh sheets delivered to my door which I can pick up once the people who deliver it are gone.....

And that is exactly the point he misses.  Here we are required to isolate when testing positive - we do not have to undergo hospital 'treatment' - nor stay in a 'special' hotel for 10-14 days undergoing more tests, because we sat next to someone who tested positive.

I haven't read further yet - but what bet this apologist has not rescinded his xenophobic comments.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glenwood said:

I have taught university at several institutions, set up university doctoral programs, and own property in Thailand, and had planned to return to Bangkok on the 12th of January, after almost two years since I was last there. However, the new TAT notice suggests that even the Thai Pass entry possibility will change after January 10th.  So it would be great if Thaiger News could clarify the restrictions related to the second PCR test: Must one stay at a quarantine hotel for the seven days between the 'on arrival' test, and the 'seventh day test', and does anyone think it will be possible to enter Thailand after the 10th of January ?

THAT is exactly the issue. There are no answers - no definitives - they will let you know when and only when they are ready - and then they will change it later at the drop of a hat.  The reality is that this Thai Govt does not care one bit about tourists - they only care about the numbers and the money - for political purposes. The chances of this Govt talking to a representative tourist organisation, who can convey to them the views of the international tourists they represent when they have an idea, is absolutely zero. 

Meanwhile thousands of Thai tourists are being encouraged by the Govt, and some given money, to travel over the XMas and New Year period, with no testing for Covid. All the Thais need is to be vaccinated, or to buy a certificate, and they are free to travel anywhere in the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Still being repeated in 'new' breaking news, with an emphasis on "effective today".

As I say I don't know, but France 24 tend to be more accurate than the BBC.

A friend of mine was in mid-flight when Suvarnabhum was closed, so I know what his advice would be.

That cannot be true.  You dont have friends.  Only joking. 

• Haha 1