Thaiger Talk Quiz #021 - Colours in Thailand

BigHewer

Just now, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Okay, duly noted:

3687CB13-BF2A-4064-B0B6-495BB9750A09.thumb.jpeg.b99cf38b66ae860de6d08b777b0e2392.jpeg

Well at least we have 15 years to come up with 5 viable questions on the topic. Still, it’s gonna be a stretch. The next 100 quizzes or so are covered, but after that? Not sure when the material will run thin, but Quiz #782 could well be: “Click Here to Test your Knowledge of Adjustable Office Chairs in Thailand😁

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

9 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

As a Brit who worked for an American company for 32 years i am accustomed to the nuances encountered with an Anglo-American audience.

I suspect it will not happen again unless we have quizzes about:

Aluminium

Neighbours

Torches

Pants

Flavours

Odours

or

Rumours 

You have one Noah Webster to thank for the differences. After independence, said Noah wandered the country collecting all of the regional words and pronunciations, standardized the spelling, and published both a dictionary and grammar from which he grew reasonably wealthy and which were used for a century to teach children the correct way to spell and pronounce. The dictionary, which predates the OED by some sixty years, is still in circulation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

You have one Noah Webster to thank for the differences. After independence, said Noah wandered the country collecting all of the regional words and pronunciations, standardized the spelling, and published both a dictionary and grammar from which he grew reasonably wealthy and which were used for a century to teach children the correct way to spell and pronounce. The dictionary, which predates the OED by some sixty years, is still in circulation.

I went to school in Australia and Germany, where Oxford English is the standard and American English is always somewhat disdainfully corrected as an ‘error’. I’ve lived longer in Japan now than both countries and here, the reverse is true, minus the disdain. 

Gradually over the years, I’ve shifted to ‘defense’, ‘labor’, ‘color’ and ‘gray’ among others because they’re the variants I use at work. The funny part is that I find myself trying to avoid these words in written communication outside of work. A bit hard with this particular quiz though. 😁

10 hours ago, JamesE said:

Napkins, nappies, or courgettes (serviettes? I forget...) as well.

And for here in thailand it is called tissue but is actually toilet paper.

• Like 1