This should prove interesting...

JamesE

1 hour ago, Vince said:

McAffee had loads of problems. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee

Crypto price manipulation was not one I recall. Drugs, guns, a murder charge I do recall...

Plus he wrote that dreadful software. 

Elon Tesla had the decency to make a nice car at least. 

You recall wrong my friend...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/5/22315494/john-mcafee-fraud-securities-scheme-charges-cryptocurrency

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21503324/john-mcafee-indicted-tax-evasion-sued-doj-sec

Edited by ctxa

8 minutes ago, ctxa said:

Yes but there's subtle differences:

McAffee was charged for "urging Twitter followers to invest in cryptocurrencies"... He then dumped (his own holding of. Personal gain is easily tracked). 

Elon doesn't tell anyone to buy anything, he just "mentions DOGE".

DOGE goes up. He doesn't sell. No crime.

Second, as I noted in my comment, it's (possibly) done by and for friends of his. 

McAffee was a man with many skills, but being good at crime wasn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Yes but there's subtle differences:

McAffee was charged for "urging Twitter followers to invest in cryptocurrencies"... He then dumped (his own holding of. Personal gain is easily tracked). 

Elon doesn't tell anyone to buy anything, he just "mentions DOGE".

DOGE goes up. He doesn't sell. No crime.

Second, as I noted in my comment, it's (possibly) done by and for friends of his. 

McAffee was a man with many skills, but being good at crime wasn't one of them. 

Different but in the end, it's the same outcome. 

A lot of people with substantial losses caused by investing into what their "idol" talked about or directly told them to invest into. 

As you said if it were regulated assets Elon would be in jail now. I believe he should be regardless. And this comes from a crypto enthusiast, and crypto developer, and someone who invested a ton of money into it. But Elon is just a con artist, like many others in this world. Something needs to be done about it.

Wait til batteries in Teslas begin degrading, after 10 years or so. We are now beginning to hear of such issues in the very few who bought Teslas right at the beginning (2012 or so). What will happen when the many that have bought Teslas in these past years start experiencing such issues? 

https://people.com/human-interest/tesla-owner-blows-up-his-car-when-faced-with-22000-repair-bill/

Edited by ctxa

9 minutes ago, ctxa said:

A lot of people with substantial losses caused by investing into what their "idol" talked about or directly told them to invest into. 

As you said if it were regulated assets Elon would be in jail now. I believe he should be regardless. And this comes from a crypto enthusiast, and crypto developer, and someone who invested a ton of money into it. But Elon is just a con artist, like many others in this world. Something needs to be done about it.

Wait til batteries in Teslas begin degrading, after 10 years or so. We are now beginning to hear of such issues in the very few who bought Teslas right at the beginning (2012 or so). What will happen when the many that have bought Teslas in these past years start experiencing such issues? 

https://people.com/human-interest/tesla-owner-blows-up-his-car-when-faced-with-22000-repair-bill/

Such is the law these details do matter. 

If I offer a politician $100,000USD to vote in a way I like and they agree, it's a crime. 

If I donate $100,000USD to a politician who says he wants to vote the way I like, but promises me nothing, that's perfectly legal. 

Same outcome, one is a crime one isn't. 

Elon Tesla is a curious fellow. I find his cars appealing and do not own one (or any car). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, ctxa said:

Tesla's batteries will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

The story you are linking to is kind of fake. He bought the car specifically to blow it up, in order to make a viral video.

5 minutes ago, Guphz said:

Tesla's batteries will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

The story you are linking to is kind of fake. He bought the car specifically to blow it up, in order to make a viral video.

The batteries will definitely outlast the car that was blown up. 🤣

Was yours a serious comment regarding the batteries outlasting the rest of the vehicle? There seem to be a lot of articles recently about the expense of replacing batteries in electric vehicles.
Are Tesla batteries different?

On 1/19/2022 at 12:53 AM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Musk is light years ahead of the rest of us. He makes some mistakes but generally does well. He seems to see the future in a way no one else can. I'd never bet against him.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, BigHewer said:

The Elon Mask Wealth Creation Model:

1. Buy target asset or equity.

2. Tweet something vague yet positive about said asset.

3. Appear on a talk show and repeat vague, positive comments.

4. After the subsequent surge in price, sell sell sell.

5. Go back to Twitter (and perhaps book another talk show appearance) and make negative comments about the same asset. Wait for price drop.

6. Go back to step #1. 

“Parasite of the Year” for sure. Person of the Year? I guess Wallis Simpson won it back in 1936. 🙁

Can you give specifics when he did this sort of thing? It could have happened but it's not how it usually seems.

He's usually many steps ahead of others in thinking and doing plus has some unique approaches. I think about mass transit and his boring company. It's absolutely brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Can you give specifics when he did this sort of thing? It could have happened but it's not how it usually seems.

He's usually many steps ahead of others in thinking and doing plus has some unique approaches. I think about mass transit and his boring company. It's absolutely brilliant. 

Well, why you think Tesla is in profits, from selling cars, or from scamming people with cryptos? 

Do your research :) if Tesla only sold cars they’d be in tremendous loses. But because he scammed people with Bitcoin by pumping it, now Tesla is in profits

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, Bluesofa said:

Was yours a serious comment regarding the batteries outlasting the rest of the vehicle? There seem to be a lot of articles recently about the expense of replacing batteries in electric vehicles.
Are Tesla batteries different?

Yes, EV batteries will generally outlast the rest of the vehicle.

And while it might be expensive to replace them now, it rarely happens, and prices are coming down fast.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Well, why you think Tesla is in profits, from selling cars, or from scamming people with cryptos? 

Do your research :) if Tesla only sold cars they’d be in tremendous loses. But because he scammed people with Bitcoin by pumping it, now Tesla is in profits

Interesting that you are telling someone else to do research just before parroting another false myth.

Tesla has actually always been profitable if you look at auto sales isolated from other parts of the business. Tesla had losses until around 2019, but has been consistently profitable since that. Those losses were due to non-auto parts of the business.

Now the auto business has such high profits and marigins that the profits also cover the loss-making parts of the business.

As for crypto/Bitcoin, Tesla took a one-time profit on a small part of their Bitcoin holding a few quarters ago. However, they have not sold any since, and actually had to take losses on Bitcoin one quarter because the price of Bitcoin went below what they bought it for. Tesla was profitable despite these Bitcoin losses.

Today, Tesla is solidly profitable regardless of crypto and anything else, and their auto margins are at a record 30%. Almost unheard of in the auto business.

So before you tell someone else to do research next time... perhaps do a little bit yourself?

On 12/14/2021 at 10:37 AM, BigHewer said:

Hitler won it, Stalin, Nixon and others. I’m aware of that. If they really are the criteria, then Trump should have won four years in a row from 2016 onward. But let’s not go there 😁 2020, probably Fauci. 

I still don’t think Musk deserves it. 

So Putin is next, then?