News Forum - EU devises new measures against ‘economic coercion’

Thaiger

China last week put a ban on imports from Lithuania, an EU member state. It had nothing to do with a trade conflict: Beijing simply wants to persuade Vilnius to change its friendly policies toward Taiwan. Lithuania has allowed Taiwan to open a kind of embassy but China sees Taiwan as a renegade province awaiting reunification with the mainland. Now, the EU’s commissioner for economy and trade, Valdis Dombrovskis, intends to use new instruments in the EU’s sanctions toolbox to prevent such examples of “economic coercion” aimed at bringing about political compliance. On Wednesday, after 10 months of preparatory work, […]

The story EU devises new measures against ‘economic coercion’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

speaking of the EU, not a word about the extremely dangerous situation with Russia right now on this forum. 

As the EU countries are also Nato members they have an eye on it and have experience for over 70 years with aggressions from Russia. They have their armies from the Baltic til the black sea at eastern eu countries. Thats why Russia is nerveous because they know about their capabilities and not like the Ukrainian people who put in their constitution to join the Nato and EU. They cannot accept free will or what the people of other countries want. Russia is desperate about that and angry that nobody wants to live under their regime.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Looks like a massive trade war is erupting for any country that touches or supports Taiwan 

All  countries  should get behind Taiwan to shove  it  in Chinas  face

• Thanks 2

The CCP can only be brought to heal by countries "circling the wagons" economically. If there's no market for their product, ie if they have no one to trade with, they will soon take notice. Notice I say the CCP. The Chinese people can't help who they are governed by, unless there is another revolution in China.

1 hour ago, mcambl61 said:

The EU is a joke. They will never take on China and they will never begin to move any manufacturing out of China. 

Bought and paid for. 

Contrary to the fantasies of many, the EU is not a dictatorship, and cannot move manufacturing out of, or even into China.

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

Contrary to the fantasies of many, the EU is not a dictatorship, and cannot move manufacturing out of, or even into China.

Yes, the EU Parliament is a joke. 

As is the unelected European commission. 

They do have the authority to either stop importing so much from China or putting on tariffs.

They won't do anything to upset China. They are as much bought and paid for as the corrupt US government and their Wall Street backers are. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The CCP can only be brought to heal by countries "circling the wagons" economically. If there's no market for their product, ie if they have no one to trade with, they will soon take notice. Notice I say the CCP. The Chinese people can't help who they are governed by, unless there is another revolution in China.

Part of the economic strategy of China has been to go around the world buying up raw materials in order to keep their factories in full flow. I think the way to beat them would be every time they misbehave, is to have an export ban on these raw materials together with a 100% minimum tariff on imports made in China. 

I wonder how many multi-nationals would be outsourcing to China under those circumstances.

Of course, the flaw in that plan is that much of those raw materials are sourced from extremely corrupt 3rd world countries.

11 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Yes, the EU Parliament is a joke. 

As is the unelected European commission. 

They do have the authority to either stop importing so much from China or putting on tariffs.

They won't do anything to upset China. They are as much bought and paid for as the corrupt US government and their Wall Street backers are. 

You really don't want to go down that road of showing your ignorance on this issue. The Commissioners are appointed by the ELECTED governments in power at the time the Commission was appointed. It is known as "delegated democracy". This is also the way that the Councils of Ministers are appointed. Those people are appointed in exactly the same way as Ambassadors, so please tell me when was the last time you voted for one of those?

But closer to home, perhaps you can tell me when was the last time you were allowed to vote for a PM, or a Minister? Your only contribution to the democratic process is to elect an MP.

Couple of other things you need to think about. The first is Commissioners are not chosen to represent the interests of their nation. They are required to be neutral and represent the portfolio assigned to them. The other is if you have elected Commissioners then neutrality is compromised to the Commissioners electorate. What happens if there is a Tory gov in power, and part way through their term of office they become unpopular, and a new Commission is formed, requiring a new UK Commissioner and a Labour politician is elected? He is going to be fighting against a democratically elected UK gov from Brussels, and quite possibly fighting against the EU at the same time because he will no longer be bound by neutrality.

I really can't believe the number of times people have fallen for the red herring of "unelected Commissioners". Thatcher complained about this in many of her anti-EU rants, but did nothing about it, for the reasons I've given above. She was indulging in populism and trading on the ignorance of an electorate to whom democracy was meant to mean something. And if you want a lesson from history, cast your mind back to the shambolic Labour Party of the 1980's where the strongest opposition was not from Labour's Westminister MP's, but the Labour run Metropolitan Councils. Thatcher's response to that was to abolish these councils. Every county in the UK except the Metropolitan Councils had a county wide local government. Two of the largest In Europe, London and the West Midlands had no strategic government.

Thatcher in spite of her hypocritical rants, would never have sanctioned elected Commissioners or Councils of Ministers who might well be elected by opposition parties and then oppose her from outside Westminster. 

1 hour ago, JohninDublin said:

You really don't want to go down that road of showing your ignorance on this issue. The Commissioners are appointed by the ELECTED governments in power at the time the Commission was appointed. It is known as "delegated democracy". This is also the way that the Councils of Ministers are appointed. Those people are appointed in exactly the same way as Ambassadors, so please tell me when was the last time you voted for one of those?

But closer to home, perhaps you can tell me when was the last time you were allowed to vote for a PM, or a Minister? Your only contribution to the democratic process is to elect an MP.

Couple of other things you need to think about. The first is Commissioners are not chosen to represent the interests of their nation. They are required to be neutral and represent the portfolio assigned to them. The other is if you have elected Commissioners then neutrality is compromised to the Commissioners electorate. What happens if there is a Tory gov in power, and part way through their term of office they become unpopular, and a new Commission is formed, requiring a new UK Commissioner and a Labour politician is elected? He is going to be fighting against a democratically elected UK gov from Brussels, and quite possibly fighting against the EU at the same time because he will no longer be bound by neutrality.

I really can't believe the number of times people have fallen for the red herring of "unelected Commissioners". Thatcher complained about this in many of her anti-EU rants, but did nothing about it, for the reasons I've given above. She was indulging in populism and trading on the ignorance of an electorate to whom democracy was meant to mean something. And if you want a lesson from history, cast your mind back to the shambolic Labour Party of the 1980's where the strongest opposition was not from Labour's Westminister MP's, but the Labour run Metropolitan Councils. Thatcher's response to that was to abolish these councils. Every county in the UK except the Metropolitan Councils had a county wide local government. Two of the largest In Europe, London and the West Midlands had no strategic government.

Thatcher in spite of her hypocritical rants, would never have sanctioned elected Commissioners or Councils of Ministers who might well be elected by opposition parties and then oppose her from outside Westminster. 

again, the EU, its Parliament and its commissioners are a joke, it does not matter how they are selected or elected, the EU is a corrupt self-serving group of bloated useless bureaucrats. It's even more corrupt and self-serving than the US congress, and  that is saying something.

But obviously you think the EU and its bloated wasteful self-serving structure is a good thing.

it boils down to this;  today's governments are not accountable for the money they take by force and are not responsible for the pockets they line to stay in power by regulations and legislation they pass to line even more pockets that contribute to their continuing in government.

It long overdue for a complete and total reckoning of these corruptocrats and the wheels that keep them in power.

6 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

again, the EU, its Parliament and its commissioners are a joke, it does not matter how they are selected or elected, the EU is a corrupt self-serving group of bloated useless bureaucrats. It's even more corrupt and self-serving than the US congress, and  that is saying something.

But obviously you think the EU and its bloated wasteful self-serving structure is a good thing.

it boils down to this;  today's governments are not accountable for the money they take by force and are not responsible for the pockets they line to stay in power by regulations and legislation they pass to line even more pockets that contribute to their continuing in government.

It long overdue for a complete and total reckoning of these corruptocrats and the wheels that keep them in power.

So can I take it from your post, that you now understand why both the Commission and the Council's of Ministers are unelected, and you won't be sniffing at that red herring anymore? 

And please don't try to put words in my mouth regarding what you think my views are on the EU. My post was not endorsing the EU, but explaining to you why the Commissioners are not elected. It is not my fault that you were conned about the fact that no government in any member state would agree to such elections. Perhaps you should consider that if you were conned over that issue, what other matters have you been tricked over regarding the EU?

It seems to me that that there are many whose blind interest is in nothing less than the immediate subjugation of China based on propagandist influences  from deceitful sources of popular appeal that obfuscate the reality of impact that would have after some decades of instituting a massive global trade entity based on gross profitability regardless of presented  "political" stance in accepted national control. 

The public presentation of "issues" with regard to free market liability being associated as some major factor in presented geopolitical stand offs is a  construct of the popular media rather than actuality .

As the dominant economic member of the EU Germany is unlikely to be willing to discard  China as it's primary trade partner ( at least as maintained in 2020).

Now once more "economic coercion" is being proposed as being a recognized threat to the previous convention of militarized occupation and coerced subjugation to the fiscal/ political ideology of ? .