News Forum - Expat gets hit in the head at Bangkok zoo, apparently for taking his mask off to eat

Thaiger

16 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Dont spread false info here and check first heir pics and statements on social media from his wife! Also pics before and with mask. Is your intention to spread hate and more trouble??!

Well, this is the pic on facebook:

image.png.e8c4281c06ac15a41c7390d79bf35cbc.png

That looks like an 'after' pic to me!

... and his wife does say very clearly that he wasn't wearing a mask prior to the show, while he was 'eating', which was why the other family were giving him 'angry' looks. Maybe you can find someone to translate it for you, but if you click the link to Channel 3 it's also in English if that helps.

13 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Likewise, those who mask up need to respect those who choose not to. They’re wearing a mask after all!

I'm a bit confused by that one.

I'm not suggesting anyone should take the law into their own hands to be judge, jury and executioner, as happened here, but the Swede was clearly breaking the law, as is anyone else who doesn't wear a mask where it's mandated as it was here.

Are you saying those who obey the law "need to respect those who choose not to", or have I misunderstood you?

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, this is the pic on facebook:

image.png.e8c4281c06ac15a41c7390d79bf35cbc.png

That looks like an 'after' pic to me!

... and his wife does say very clearly that he wasn't wearing a mask prior to the show, while he was 'eating', which was why the other family were giving him 'angry' looks. Maybe you can find someone to translate it for you, but if you click the link to Channel 3 it's also in English if that helps.

Yes I read the social media and she stated he had a mask before and after eating. There is nothing he had no mask all the time!! So stop spreading hate and false infos!

9 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Yes I read the social media and she stated he had a mask before and after eating. There is nothing he had no mask all the time!! So stop spreading hate and false infos!

I think that she is lying and that he didnt wear a mask at all , not until the Thai put a cup onto his head, then he began wearing a mask 

Just now, Fluke said:

I think that she is lying and that he didnt wear a mask at all , not until the Thai put a cup onto his head, then he began wearing a mask 

So you are thinking, aha . 

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Are you saying those who obey the law "need to respect those who choose not to", or have I misunderstood you?

No, I’m not saying that. If a mask mandate exists, wear the mask. Simple.

What I do disagree with is vigilante-style calling out of people by members of the general public when rules are broken (or followed).

I was speaking from a Japan perspective, which is different because there is a superior level of personal freedom here compared to other countries in regards to Covid-related mandates.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Tolerance is getting thinner these days

And surprisingly you hear nothing from them about laws in all this corruption cases in the news but here they come like maniacs and talk about laws because sombody was eating something. Thats a real hypocracy or mental health issues.

24 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You seem to be reading a different forum, as well as very different facebook posts.

Nobody's said "he had no mask all the time".

His wife did say, though, that his mask was "temporarily unavailable" while waiting for the show to start - Channel 3's official translation, which you can read by clicking the source link after the article.

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

Agree: there are consequences to living in fear for a long time, even if it's not being 100% terrified, but more being very wary every day for almost 2 years.

Covid has put the kibosh on my retirement travel plans and the wife and I both struggle sometimes, well past the bored stage but not quite yet at the depresed stage.

Not far off though.

I am genuinely curious what you and your wife are struggling with?

I don't mean that as a challenge, and since every country is a bit different, I am actually curious

I can honestly say, with the exception of a bit more onerous travelling, I don't feel my life has changed or been impacted all that much

EDIT.....I want to add, I take covid very serious. I had 2 siblings in ICU for a long time, thinking both were going to die, my brother for sure.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Well, someone's certainly lying but she didn't actually say what @Stardust says. You can read what she says by clicking the link (English or Thai).

She says his mask was "temporarily unavailable".

Here we go off topic again about wearing a face mask. Its about an Assault by a thai on a falang.  If he was a Falang his picture would be already on most papers and the obligatory finger pointing. An assault occurred weather he was wearing a face mask or not.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agreed - I'm the only farang locally so I try to avoid doing something like that as I "stick out like a sore thumb", but when in the city (Loei, Udon, Khon Kaen, Chumphae) I probably see equal numbers of Thais and farangs "side stepping the rules".  The difference is that I'll see literally hundreds or thousands of Thais for every farang that I see, so while I may see one in a few hundred Thais "side stepping the rules", it's maybe half the farangs.

I think you have it backwards, I live in the very same areas as you mentioned.

9 hours ago, vlad said:

Here we go off topic again about wearing a face mask. Its about an Assault by a thai on a falang.  If he was a Falang his picture would be already on most papers and the obligatory finger pointing. An assault occurred weather he was wearing a face mask or not.

Are you saying the assultant was Thai. I didn't read that. Or, is this Thai blaming.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Are you saying the assultant was Thai. I didn't read that. Or, is this Thai blaming.

Just because YOU didn't read it, doesn't mean you have to put on your Thai apologist hat.

Personally, I prefer the use of "assailant" in these circumstances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I think you have it backwards, I live in the very same areas as you mentioned.

Really? 

You live in a city in Northern Issan and you see literally hundreds or thousands of farangs for every Thai that you see?

... and half the few Thais you see in the city are "sidestepping the rules"?

Maybe we're talking about a different universe ..... 😂!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vlad said:

"Off topic"?

This is the topic - I've put the part you seem to have missed in bold:

"News Forum - Expat gets hit in the head at Bangkok zoo, apparently for taking his mask off to eat".

... and if it was a Thai hitting a Thai it wouldn't be news at all ..... 😕

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I am genuinely curious what you and your wife are struggling with?

I don't mean that as a challenge, and since every country is a bit different, I am actually curious

I can honestly say, with the exception of a bit more onerous travelling, I don't feel my life has changed or been impacted all that much

EDIT.....I want to add, I take covid very serious. I had 2 siblings in ICU for a long time, thinking both were going to die, my brother for sure.

Our plan was to do 3 weeks in the village, 2 to 3 weeks travelling and repeat. Before Covid we managed this no problem for several years and had an amazing time. We are in a fairly remote village near the Sangkhla Buri border with Myanmar so we rely a lot for these trips on minivans, which for a while now have been reluctant to use. We are almost 3 hours to the provincial capital and so in the past year have ventured out little. Only moved here for the wife to care for her elders, both gone early this year so we had started to look at moving province to be closer to civilization. That is on hold..

Kanchanaburi was also deep red for a while due to its border issues so inter-provincial travel became a hassle. So we just stayed put for too long.

We talked about going to Hua Hin or Pattaya often but the minvan travel again put us off as well as the fact that when we got there most places were/are shut so why go?

Before anyone accuses me of 'hiding behind the sofa', I am 66, have 3 stents, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes (not obese) so the risk is there.

Both of us have also now a fear of crowds, wife more so but she won't go anywhere that's too busy like villlage funerals etc. Goes to pay the tambon and comes home, won't eat there  or sit in a crowd.

So basically we are bored stiff and have been for too long, I fear it may take some time for us to feel confident to travel again.

I could mention some other thngs that have contributed but boredom is top of the list.

On the plus side I have saved a fortune and the next trip will be one to remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Just because YOU didn't read it, doesn't mean you have to put on your Thai apologist hat.

Personally, I prefer the use of "assailant" in these circumstances.

Not Thai apologist because  could be a falang. Tourist shows are mostly for falongs. A

Whomever it was they are the assailants.

Since they didn't  clip back any hair, I assume the wound was minor. Most people would right it off, but the Swedish guy want to make a scene. 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, Stonker said:

You beat me to it, pointing out what I'd assumed was blindingly obvious to most people - even to most people here 😂!

Well, at least we're agreed on something - nobody said that😂!!!

beat you to what?, go to the market once people ,you get screened as well  and need to wear mask, but not anywhere is stating and either in dolphin places, you can not eat... you guys made up a rule not to be able to remove your mask for to eat, nobody said it or state it anywhere!!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, Fluke said:

Market  > selling food> designated eating place > Can remove mask to eat 

Dolphin show > Not selling food > Not a designated eating place > Cannot remove mask

really where you got that idea??? market is for to buy food to prepare at home smarty,... and you also not allowed to remove your mask like ANYWHERE in thailand, however nobody says you can not eat and that means for EVERY place in thailand so if you eat you can simply remove your mask...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paco said:

beat you to what?, go to the market once people ,you get screened as well  and need to wear mask, but not anywhere is stating and either in dolphin places, you can not eat... you guys made up a rule not to be able to remove your mask for to eat, nobody said it or state it anywhere!!

The rule is to be masked in public places - plain and simple, end of story.

No removing masks to eat, drink, kiss, blow up a party balloon, play a gazoo, or anything else you fancy doing unless it's specified, in a specific area.

Sorry, but there are limits to even my patience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paco said:

really where you got that idea??? market is for to buy food to prepare at home smarty,... and you also not allowed to remove your mask like ANYWHERE in thailand, however nobody says you can not eat and that means for EVERY place in thailand so if you eat you can simply remove your mask...

Wrong.

13 hours ago, Saltire said:

Our plan was to do 3 weeks in the village, 2 to 3 weeks travelling and repeat. Before Covid we managed this no problem for several years and had an amazing time. We are in a fairly remote village near the Sangkhla Buri border with Myanmar so we rely a lot for these trips on minivans, which for a while now have been reluctant to use. We are almost 3 hours to the provincial capital and so in the past year have ventured out little. Only moved here for the wife to care for her elders, both gone early this year so we had started to look at moving province to be closer to civilization. That is on hold..

Kanchanaburi was also deep red for a while due to its border issues so inter-provincial travel became a hassle. So we just stayed put for too long.

We talked about going to Hua Hin or Pattaya often but the minvan travel again put us off as well as the fact that when we got there most places were/are shut so why go?

Before anyone accuses me of 'hiding behind the sofa', I am 66, have 3 stents, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes (not obese) so the risk is there.

Both of us have also now a fear of crowds, wife more so but she won't go anywhere that's too busy like villlage funerals etc. Goes to pay the tambon and comes home, won't eat there  or sit in a crowd.

So basically we are bored stiff and have been for too long, I fear it may take some time for us to feel confident to travel again.

I could mention some other thngs that have contributed but boredom is top of the list.

On the plus side I have saved a fortune and the next trip will be one to remember.

I was genuinely curious to get your perspective and it was interesting reading your story.

Like I said, I wasn't challenging you and I feel for you and your wife....

Because you come to realize that this has hit so many different people in so many different ways

I hope you guys can get some enjoyment soon

Thanks for the reply

• Thanks 1