News Forum - Expat gets hit in the head at Bangkok zoo, apparently for taking his mask off to eat

Thaiger

28 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Perfectly reasonable - "put it off for a second",  go somewhere where you have some social distance from others, lean behind a friends back, turn away from everyone else. Countless alternatives.

No need to "put all our food in a blender, so we can eat it through a straw which you can use while wearing a mask" - just display some consideration for others.

There was no excuse at all for hitting the guy over the head, just as there was no excuse for the guy who was drop kicked in Chiang Mai for thinking he was entitled to walk down the middle of the road, but some farangs are pushing what's acceptable here.   Plenty of Thais do too, but they don't "stick out like sore thumbs" and they don't seem to do so to the same extent.

Everything within reason, and we should be smart enough to know this. Eat away from people who are masked and not eating if it is an obvious palce not accpetable or has a circustance that makes it less to not advisable. I would really like to know al lthe circustances aroiund this, but the Thai guy is wrong for hitting him unless something was already said and the foreinger was obstinate back to him and his family. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Sometimes I think we haven't even begun to understand the true cost of two years of dealing with it.

Agree: there are consequences to living in fear for a long time, even if it's not being 100% terrified, but more being very wary every day for almost 2 years.

Covid has put the kibosh on my retirement travel plans and the wife and I both struggle sometimes, well past the bored stage but not quite yet at the depresed stage.

Not far off though.

56 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Everything within reason, and we should be smart enough to know this. Eat away from people who are masked and not eating if it is an obvious palce not accpetable or has a circustance that makes it less to not advisable. I would really like to know al lthe circustances aroiund this, but the Thai guy is wrong for hitting him unless something was already said and the foreinger was obstinate back to him and his family. 

Or eat at home or eat at designated eating places , rather than just eating in any location that you want 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I was instantly furious; I was going to the till where he was with a tray of baked goods which weren't wrapped yet, and he was there spewing his germs all around the area without a thought or a care in the world

Weren't you wearing your mask and therefore "protected" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Weren't you wearing your mask and therefore "protected" 

(Yawns ...)

Masks aren't to protect you - they're to protect others from you.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

... the Thai guy is wrong for hitting him unless something was already said and the foreinger was obstinate back to him and his family. 

Agreed, but even according to the wife on her facebook page he'd been getting "angry" looks from the family for not wearing a mask, so the two of them knew but chose to ignore them and carry on rather than to smile, nod, and for him to put his mask back on.

That's still no excuse for the assault, but they could so easily have defused the situation by doing the right thing instead of deliberately doing the opposite.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

(Yawns ...)

Masks aren't to protect you - they're to protect others from you.

Yes and you can protect yourself with a FFP2 and let other people live their life normally. Do you think people should be ok with the fact of having to wear masks for the rest of their lives ? Especially outdoor where it is the least necessary.

Everybody got vaccinated, people are even taking 3 doses, maybe soon 4 and why not in 2035 we'll be on our 57th dose? Now with vaccines this virus is much less harmful than the common flu. When will this madness end ? When will people think for themselves ?

• Like 2

No joking aside the guy was assaulted with an object and the perpetrator should be fined for the assault. Turn it around what would have happened if a farang hit a Thai over the head.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vlad said:

No joking aside the guy was assaulted with an object and the perpetrator should be fined for the assault. Turn it around what would have happened if a farang hit a Thai over the head.

We may find out later , Paco is currently on the prowl looking for a Thai guy without a mask on and hes going to bash him up . 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Agreed, but even according to the wife on her facebook page he'd been getting "angry" looks from the family for not wearing a mask, so the two of them knew but chose to ignore them and carry on rather than to smile, nod, and for him to put his mask back on.

That's still no excuse for the assault, but they could so easily have defused the situation by doing the right thing instead of deliberately doing the opposite.

Yes that point was in the article. How they chose to escalate it more and how was sheer nonsense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoilStorp said:

Yes and you can protect yourself with a FFP2 and let other people live their life normally. Do you think people should be ok with the fact of having to wear masks for the rest of their lives ? Especially outdoor where it is the least necessary.

Everybody got vaccinated, people are even taking 3 doses, maybe soon 4 and why not in 2035 we'll be on our 57th dose? Now with vaccines this virus is much less harmful than the common flu. When will this madness end ? When will people think for themselves ?

In order:

No, wearing an FFP 2  mask while others are unmasked doesn't offer anywhere near as much protection as others wearing masks, as the studies regularly linked to here confirm - they give less than a 50 % reduction in infection.

Nobody's suggested "people should be ok with the fact of having to wear masks for the rest of their lives".

"Everybody got vaccinated,"etc.  Where? In Thailand barely 50% are vaccinated, and many of those are with Sinovac for at least one dose so they have minimal protection and rely on others to play their part.

People clearly are thinking for themselves - thinking that people who have no consideration for others are the ones perpetuating the problem, and that they need a slap round the head to wake them up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fluke said:

He wasnt wearing a mask before the show started , he wasn't wearing a mask during the show and he wasn't wearing a mask after the show , which suggests that he wasn't wearing a mask at all and he just used the "eating" as an excuse and probably wasnt true , unless he was having a three course meal and was waiting for dessert 

Don't spread fake news here! His wife posted the incident including pics! He had a mask! What is your intention ? spread hatings, panic, fake news? Or mental health issues with paranoia?

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

In order:

No, wearing an FFP 2  mask while others are unmasked doesn't offer anywhere near as much protection as others wearing masks, as the studies regularly linked to here confirm - they give less than a 50 % reduction in infection.

Nobody's suggested "people should be ok with the fact of having to wear masks for the rest of their lives".

"Everybody got vaccinated,"etc.  Where? In Thailand barely 50% are vaccinated, and many of those are with Sinovac for at least one dose so they have minimal protection and rely on others to play their part.

People clearly are thinking for themselves - thinking that people who have no consideration for others are the ones perpetuating the problem, and that they need a slap round the head to wake them up.

The vaccine is to protect yourself! And Pfizer is avaiable now! 

27 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Don't spread fake news here! His wife posted the incident including pics! He had a mask! What is your intention ? spread hatings, panic, fake news? Or mental health issues with paranoia?

I'll have a B please Bob 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

The latter probably isn't a good idea, but the former simply isn't an excuse.

If the rule is that masks are worn in that area, which it very clearly was, then the rule is that masks are worn - end of story.  If he wanted to eat something, pick his nose, or have a drink, he should have either gone elsewhere or done so as quickly as possible while covering up so that it would have the least effect on others, just as other people regularly do. However you spin it, that clearly wasn't what he was doing.

BULLSHIT buddy, really a load of crap you stating here, i was today in the market and they sell food , like they do over their in the zoo, so i buy some food and EAT IT, nobody cared i looked around and more people did that, we need to wear mask but can we for god sake eat something if they sell it, nobody say you have to eat at home or you may not eat.. really a comment like yours is just plain STUPID, you good ass kisses for the government i guess

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stardust said:

The vaccine is to protect yourself!

No idea why you've quoted me while letting people know that pearl of wisdom 😂!

21 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And Pfizer is avaiable now! 

Umm ... yes, as I've just been discussing in another thread ...

It's not much use to those who've already been vaccinated with something else, though, unless they're eligible for a booster yet.

Are you sure you're posting this in the right thread?

34 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Well ... he had a mask on in the pic posted by his wife, but unless he already had a plaster on his head that pic was taken after he'd been hit on the head 😂!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

BULLSHIT buddy, really a load of crap you stating here, i was today in the market and they sell food , like they do over their in the zoo, so i buy some food and EAT IT, nobody cared i looked around and more people did that, we need to wear mask but can we for god sake eat something if they sell it, nobody say you have to eat at home or you may not eat.. really a comment like yours is just plain STUPID, you good ass kisses for the government i guess

Market  > selling food> designated eating place > Can remove mask to eat 

Dolphin show > Not selling food > Not a designated eating place > Cannot remove mask

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Market  > selling food> designated eating place > Can remove mask to eat 

Dolphin show > Not selling food > Not a designated eating place > Cannot remove mask

You beat me to it, pointing out what I'd assumed was blindingly obvious to most people - even to most people here 😂!

19 minutes ago, Paco said:

... nobody say you have to eat at home or you may not eat

Well, at least we're agreed on something - nobody said that😂!!!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

18 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well ... he had a mask on in the pic posted by his wife, but unless he already had a plaster on his head that pic was taken after he'd been hit on the head 😂!

Dont spread false info here and check first heir pics and statements on social media from his wife! Also pics before and with mask. Is your intention to spread hate and more trouble??!

People who choose not to mask up should not call out people who choose to do so. Likewise, those who mask up need to respect those who choose not to. They’re wearing a mask after all!

• Like 1