News Forum - Thai Airways offering round trip Sydney-Phuket flights

Thaiger

To boost tourism and promote Phuket’s island quarantine “sandbox” scheme, Thai Airways will run round trip flights between Phuket and Australia with three flights a week starting on today. The flights will be offered until January 25. The flight from Phuket to Sydney is available on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Flights depart from Phuket at 6:50pm and arrive at 7:30am. The flight from Sydney to Phuket is available on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Flights depart from Sydney at 9:30am and arrive at 2:40pm. There are also flights between Bangkok and Sydney available four days a week. Flights depart from Bangkok […]

The story Thai Airways offering round trip Sydney-Phuket flights as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I was talking to an Aussie I met at another guy's place the other day, who has a 'part-time' girlfriend on Phuket, and he said he was looking to go there over the Xmas/New Year period for a couple of weeks.  I let it slide about him sending her money every month or two, but we talked about the conditions on entry.  When I had told him about what would happen if he tested positive, or was in close proximity to someone that tested positive, he was astounded. None of that was mentioned on the Embassy Website or on the Thailand Pass website that he had checked out online. Like so many, he just sees the TAT ads (we are open) and does not check out the details. He said he will probably wait until January/February, to see if those mandatory quarantine rules have been eased back.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

I would love to see passenger count on the flights 

At ~A$834 return for non-stop flights (each way on certain days) it should attract a few takers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

At ~A$834 return for non-stop flights (each way on certain days) it should attract a few takers.

Few don't really pay for 380 fuel, and it's not gonna be cheap this winter 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Few don't really pay for 380 fuel, and it's not gonna be cheap this winter 

TG are using B777-300's and you'd expect a fair amount of freight to be carried to offset low pax loads.   Still, actual pax numbers would be interesting.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

I would love to see passenger count on the flights 

I would love too - and all the other numbers they are hiding.  Like: number of tests done each day, number detained for testing positive each day, number quarantined when next to someone who tested positive, etc etc etc.

I too have booked to come to Phuket in March. Not going with Thai Airways but would have liked to go direct. I have to go to Singapore but only for 1 hour transit. Yes there is the constant worry of picking up Covid or being classed as a close contact of someone on the flight. I've "insured against every possibility" and I suggest anyone contemplating travel does so. Sooner or later, we have to live with Covid.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I too have booked to come to Phuket in March. Not going with Thai Airways but would have liked to go direct. I have to go to Singapore but only for 1 hour transit. Yes there is the constant worry of picking up Covid or being classed as a close contact of someone on the flight. I've "insured against every possibility" and I suggest anyone contemplating travel does so. Sooner or later, we have to live with Covid.

Pity about the stop over and extra plane trip, but all you can do is stay well away from everyone else. Best of luck and I hope you dont test positive on arrival.   Maybe by then things will have changed - the danger of testing positive on arrival is the big blocker for us, and many others. 

Can I ask - which insurance option did you go with. 

28 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I would love too - and all the other numbers they are hiding.  Like: number of tests done each day, number detained for testing positive each day, number quarantined when next to someone who tested positive, etc etc etc.

@AussieBobyou been here long enough to know that it's rhetorical question. I was flagged on MorChana because I went to gym with the girl who was tested positive. Then they sent a nurse to test me and asked to self isolate. Next day, I was cleared to go free, because my test was negative. I am taking Omnicon compatible test I got from Boots tonight. Just be on the safe side 

• Haha 1

Thanks Bob for your kind wishes. I hope all of this happens.... I haven't been with my partner since October 2019 and I over the pandemic! Covid be damned. Catch up for a beer or three!

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

TG are using B777-300's and you'd expect a fair amount of freight to be carried to offset low pax loads.   Still, actual pax numbers would be interesting.

Yeah freight is the payer 

Can get loads of Heroin smuggled on  a Boing 777...

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

When I had told him about what would happen if he tested positive, or was in close proximity to someone that tested positive, he was astounded.

If he'd done his homework correctly and you told him what you've written here, I'll bet he was!

I'm surprised how short some people's memory is in relation to this company.

They are owing thousands of passengers millions of dollars that they clearly have no intention of paying.

If you book a flight with this excuse for an airline and you get caught out you deserve it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Good price in today's flight costs with covid tax inclusive

11 hours ago, Cathat said:

I'm surprised how short some people's memory is in relation to this company.

They are owing thousands of passengers millions of dollars that they clearly have no intention of paying.

If you book a flight with this excuse for an airline and you get caught out you deserve it.

I agree with your sentiments although many would be unaware of the true situation and like with the possibility of a +ve case sending all pax into quarantine, they will book anyway.

I would prefer flying SIA via Bkk and will do so as soon as QLD reopens.