News Forum - Omicron Covid-19 variant isn’t in Thailand, DDC director says

Thaiger

Omicron Covid-19 variant isn’t in Thailand, director-general of the Department of Disease Control said yesterday, assuring the public that the mutated strain of the virus virus is not “travelling” into the country by tourists. Dr Opas Karnkawinpong said that all “sandbox” visitors are being closely and stringently monitored by health authorities. “All 1,007 travellers from South Africa who recently arrived in Thailand tested negative for Covid-19.” Thai authorities are now setting restrictions to prevent the strain spreading in Thailand and issuance of the Thailand Pass has been suspended for 8 countries in Southern Africa. According to Rachada Dhnadirek, a deputy […]

The story Omicron Covid-19 variant isn’t in Thailand, DDC director says as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is this a message meant to say - All good here - come come bring money. Or is it a genuine attempt to state what they think but cannot possibly be known for certain. Either way - I see it as a version of TAT announcing another million tourists will be flying in tomorrow and take it with the same grain of salt.  In a few weeks there might be a contradictory message - but there will never ever be a message saying 'we got that wrong'.  

• Like 7

the gentleman should have said: "In the present state of my knowledge, Omicron is not in Thailand ..."

In Thailand, do you look for Omicron in all the travelers' tests ?

How to explain that the statistics/probabilities on the two flights to the Netherlands from South Africa are not the same in Thailand? It's mysterious...

and do not forget that the Belgian case did not set foot in southern Africa.

The virus was discovered in South Africa, it may be Egyptian or from an other country...

Edited by vvdb.fr
English
  • Like 4

Will only be a short matter of time before it does , it’s here in the uk and Belgium and The Netherlands ,, you cannot stop it I’m afraid you can only possibly slow it’s arrival 

• Like 6

How many have confidence that the Thai Govt is doing everything possible to prevent OV from coming here !

History repeating itself, say what! Kwai could do a better than these officials.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Omicron Covid-19 variant isn’t in Thailand, director-general of the Department of Disease Control said yesterday,

Yea yea whatever .. maybe best keep your trap shut or risk some more egg on face until abit more is known about it as no one had even heard of Omicron a week ago ..   

• Like 4

Thing is this variant might (and I repeat might) not be a bad news.

From the reports coming out of South Africa it appears to be more transmissible but with less severe symptoms. 

So it could displace the Delta variant in the same way Delta displaced the more severe Beta variant.

• Like 6

How on earth do these ridiculous people save face, when their face is continuosly covered with egg!?

Furthermore, I would not believe any single one of them, if they told me every day of the week ended with the letter 'Y' !

They need our money, but don't want to look as if they've got the begging bowl out, so make out all is well. 

Just treat fully vaccinated adults with respect. Cut the rubbish out, and let us make our own informed decisions, to travel or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Just treat fully vaccinated adults with respect. Cut the rubbish out, and let us make our own informed decisions, to travel or not.

Mate - that is never going to happen in Thailand.  Honesty in advertising or Govt announcements is not legislated for nor ever expected.  That is one reason Expat forums are so prevalent in Thailand - it is only in places like this where you can find out things and get information not available easily - some good, some khrapp - but at least you get it.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Cut the rubbish out, and let us make our own informed decisions, to travel or not.

Given the whingeing about bars, masks and restrictions by some coming here, the one thing many are not is "informed".

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Wouldn't that be exactly what you would be doing when deciding to go or not?

You decided it's worth it for you to go under their restrictions 

Or you don't.....

There is your informed decision 

Still blows my mind people get so worked up over what another country chooses to do.

Like it is your right to travel to a country on your terms

It's very weird to me.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Wouldn't that be exactly what you would be doing when deciding to go or not?

You decided it's worth it for you to go under their restrictions 

Or you don't.....

There is your informed decision 

Still blows my mind people get so worked up over what another country chooses to do.

Like it is your right to travel to a country on your terms

It's very weird to me.....

Exactly mate - when people inform others of things that are not easily seen (such as all the things missing from TAT advertising) and give their opinion about them, some people just cannot accept that telling people those things and giving their opinion is OK. 

As always about everything in Thailand - assume nothing - get as much information as you can - then make a decision. Then accept that things change so quickly anyway so you could be wrong for all the right reasons. No one knows exactly what is going on today, every day, let alone next week or month - especially not the Thais themselves. That is why 'Mai Phen Rai' is their main way to deal with things.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Exactly mate - when people inform others of things that are not easily seen (such as all the things missing from TAT advertising) and give their opinion about them, some people just cannot accept that telling people those things and giving their opinion is OK. 

As always about everything in Thailand - assume nothing - get as much information as you can - then make a decision. Then accept that things change so quickly anyway so you could be wrong for all the right reasons. No one knows exactly what is going on today, every day, let alone next week or month - especially not the Thais themselves. That is why 'Mai Phen Rai' is their main way to deal with things.

My wife's best friend is leaving in 2 days

We have booked for January 

I had 15 Thais over my house Thursday for US Thanksgiving 

Most of them are planning on heading home at the 1st few months of 2022

It's their home and you don't hear a peep out of them about requirements or restrictions.....

They just going if they are allowed and will deal with whatever they need to.....

Then you have guys on here getting all worked up over a country they want to visit on holiday....

• Like 2