News Forum - Hua Lamphong (Bangkok Train Station) – History and future | VIDEO

Thaiger

Bangkok’s historic Hua Lamphong is being closed down by the middle of December. Here’s a look at the legendary station’s past and future, plus a look at the local neighbourhood and working life at the station. The iconic station has been open for over 100 years and been the host of many happy, and sad, arrivals and departures. Please don’t let it be another mall! Read more about the closure of Hua Lamphong HERE. Ask Pat a question at our Thaiger Talk forum: https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/172… Visit Pat’s youtube for more videos on Bangkok: https://www.youtube.com/c/BangkokPat

The story Hua Lamphong (Bangkok Train Station) – History and future | VIDEO as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I find this a sad story and hope that the Fine Arts Department can convince the SRT not demolish yet another historical location.

Bangkok itself is a city that lacks character as it is. Just recently Laksi memorial has been demolished, the magnificent statue of Queen Victoria relocated, numerous wooden houses bulldozed and in their place comes more slums and shopping centers.

Why not preserve what poultry little heritage that remains.

I am in awe visiting European cities that keep the old town and new town separate. The nations have clean modern functioning city centers where history lives. 

I see movies of Bangkok in the 1960's and what was then a green city with a character has changed into an unorganized sprawl. For the good things the government has done cleaning up canals and trying to improve transport, this one is terrible. Should it happen let Saksayam be know as the man that helped destroy a city's heritage for the profit of those of whom many are already wealthy.

He should ask himself if this is for the people that live there or for him and his own. 

• Like 5

Its who you know!

The young lady of the house said!

Its her understanding that ,Thai investors wanted to buy it at a lower price which was rejected.

Months later the same parties negotiated  but couldn’t come to agreement! 
Chinese investors got wind of the property for sale and bought it at a lower price than was originally offered to the Thai investors! 555

• Like 1

People constantly moan about the year on year losses srt make yet they have been forbidden from raising fares since the 1980's so what else can be expected.

Very sad end of an era and I hope at the very least they keep the building.

traveling by train is a great way to see thailand and I feel they have never put enough effort into marketing it to local or overseas markets.

• Thanks 1