News Forum - Amnesty International under investigation for defending activists

Thaiger

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha announced that Thai authorities have opened an investigation into human rights group Amnesty International after they spoke out against the prosecution of anti-government protesters. An opposing group of protesters who are devoted to the monarchy called for Amnesty International to be barred from Thailand. On Thursday, the group of royalists gave the government a letter saying that by fighting to end criminal charges levied against protesters who are advocating for monarchy reform, Amnesty International is undermining the national security of Thailand and must be expelled from the Kingdom. 160 activists have been charged under the royal defamation […]

The story Amnesty International under investigation for defending activists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"PM Prayut said they were investigating if, by supporting the humaqz n n rights of activists who participate in pro-democracy demonstrations that call for reform of the government and monarchy, Amnesty International were themselves committing crimes against the monarchy,"

Jeez. You couldn't make it up! 

I hope they do go after Amnesty. It will only make the story bigger, and expose the system for what it is. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Jeez. You couldn't make it up! 

But they did, and as politicians that is their right! 
Just that it is our right to know when drivel is escaping from them in copious degrees.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes I hope they do too.

I have a feeling you are hoping for a different reason. 

Nothing good can come from going after them. The long term PR hit isn’t worth any short term gain. Amnesty international is one of those groups best ignored even when standing right in front of you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Nothing good can come from going after them. The long term PR hit isn’t worth any short term gain. Amnesty international is one of those groups best ignored even when standing right in front of you. 

True mate. Very true.

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

Don’t know why this story line keeps popping up here! We’re not allowed to talk about it

#art #surreal #feminism #isabelchiara #gif #collage GIF by Isabel Chiara

Loose lips......

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Im not sure banning Amnesty from Thailand is the right thing to do might create more bad publicity from outside of Thailand

Only thing Thailand is good in, is exactly that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Don’t know why this story line keeps popping up here! We’re not allowed to talk about it

If authorities had their way, we wouldn’t even be allowed to think about it 😕

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Im not sure banning Amnesty from Thailand is the right thing to do might create more bad publicity from outside of Thailand

The thing about Amnesty is that they are most active against totalitarian regimes. It is the totalitarians who want to shut them up. If they ban AI, that in effect labels the TH gov as such, while they are in effect trying to counter such claims. 

Not sure if anyone is aware, but complaints made to AI, are never investigated by a national from that country in order to eliminate accusations of bias. So AI will continue to investigate surrepetitiously and report from abroad. People in TH will still be able to read about AI reports on the Internet, while TH has established it's totalitarian credentials by banning AI which it was seeking to stop in the first place.

Someone clearly has not thought this through properly.

• Like 4

The Thai legal and Justice system is stuck in the Middle Ages and without serious reform the country will linger between 3rd world and developed nation status. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, D2B2 said:

The Thai legal and Justice system is stuck in the Middle Ages and without serious reform the country will linger between 3rd world and developed nation status. 

I think that says it all. The problem for the vast majority of Thais however, is that the elite and powerful are already living a developed world lifestyle and have no need to change it. In fact it’s in their interests to maintain things as they are. 

I don’t believe they will ban AI. It’s simply a warning shot to calm things down. To ban them just highlights the issues AI are trying to highlight. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, riclag said:

Nothing like good old fashioned suppression, huh?

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I don’t believe they will ban AI. It’s simply a warning shot to calm things down. To ban them just highlights the issues AI are trying to highlight. 

Omnicron emergance has probably just destroyed Pnuts plans for tourism, the man will be desperate (elections around the corner) so he may well try the "smoke and mirrors" trick with AI and go through with it to show he is a tough hombre.

I hope he doesn't, he will only do more damage to Thailands reputation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think that says it all. The problem for the vast majority of Thais however, is that the elite and powerful are already living a developed world lifestyle and have no need to change it. In fact it’s in their interests to maintain things as they are. 

To that can be added the old totalitarian ploy, "if you want to unite your people within, create an enemy without".

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

To that can be added the old totalitarian ploy, "if you want to unite your people within, create an enemy without".

Well that’s 100% correct. The siege mentality is alive and well. North Korea is probably the best example of that. 

• Like 2

Wonder if the gang at AI - and other phony outfits of the like - would be able to distinguish the truer troubles of the world and their historic instigators...?

Nah. Wouldn't expect it. 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Wonder if the gang at AI - and other phony outfits of the like - would be able to distinguish the truer troubles of the world and their historic instigators...?

Nah. Wouldn't expect it. 

Daft Ignorant Troll Post. Amnesty International legitimately and honourably uphold human rights. At great risk. Especially for non- violent political prisoners of conscience. That’s their focus and Charter.They are certainly no “gang” or “phony” (misspelt). Nor are they psychoanalysts to determine humanity’s “truer troubles”. When you are rotting in a torture cell (for expressing an opinion) THAT is the only truth that concerns you. The ONLY people who attack AI are authoritarian govts and their apologist puppets. I challenge you to do proper research on AI and withdraw your vile smear post.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I have a feeling you are hoping for a different reason. 

He is a wumao