News Forum - “Omicron” – a new Covid variant triggers travel alarms as flights disrupted

Thaiger

Well if Boris in the U.K. puts Pritti (damn useless) Patel in charge of preventing South African people from entering the country we're all doomed.. If they stop the planes the Africans can simply book a seat on a Zodiac inflatable boat... 5-20 Channel crossings daily!..with accomodation in the UK included..! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Mmm Fish and Chips. Yeah looks like the world is putting the brake in straying to back pedal. Normally I think when this happens it is already a bit too late. I thought you were referring to Thailand doing a back flip. I hope they do as they can’t even control the delta to date. 

Should have done it immediately yesterday!

A plane that was on the way to the Netherlands was allowed to continue and land at AMS. And guess what? They were kept in the plane for 4 hours after landing. How stupid can you get with a more contagious variant in an enclosed space?

Testing has since found a large number of Omicron carriers. 

Two years on and they learned nothing!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Mmm Fish and Chips. Yeah looks like the world is putting the brake in straying to back pedal. Normally I think when this happens it is already a bit too late. I thought you were referring to Thailand doing a back flip. I hope they do as they can’t even control the delta to date. 

Most governments have done more flips and backflips than your average gymnast! 

Two pictures of Fish & Chips for you. One for Northerns and one for the Southerners. I’ll let you work out which is which 😉 

B051FDA0-900A-4C21-8E05-D337469E80C0.webp

43D393F5-7800-4851-A08E-8E81C13A338B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Should have done it immediately yesterday!

A plane that was on the way to the Netherlands was allowed to continue and land at AMS. And guess what? They were kept in the plane for 4 hours after landing. How stupid can you get with a more contagious variant in an enclosed space?

Testing has since found a large number of Omicron carriers. 

Two years on and they learned nothing!

Agreed mate. I don’t understand why, when a decision like this is made, it isn’t instant. Flights on short final in to Heathrow should have been held when it landed and everyone tested and isolated. Not wait 48 hours to introduce the ban.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TimothyN said:

A coronavirus can't become a flu, anymore than a duck can become an armadillo.

Covid is a sars virus! Thats a fact! And 100% it can even become a cold. I think you even don't know what a sars virus is! Why do you think the corona virus is called sars covid 19 virus?! 

What do you think what kind of virus  a flu virus is?!

First informing yourself, before you are making such nonsense statements!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Covid is a sars virus! Thats a fact! And 100% it can even become a cold. I think you even don't know what a sars virus is! Why do you think the corona virus is called sars covid 19 virus?! 

What do you think what kind of virus  a flu virus?!

First informing yourself, before you are making such nonsense statements!

Flu and common cold are contagious respiratory illnesses, caused by different viruses. Flu is caused by influenza viruses, whereas the common cold can be caused by a number of different viruses, including rhinoviruses and seasonal coronaviruses. Seasonal coronaviruses should not be confused with SARS-COV-2. In general, flu is worse than a cold, and symptoms are typically more intense and start more abruptly. Colds are usually milder. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose than people who have flu. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalisations, but flu can have serious complications.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Flu and common cold are contagious respiratory illnesses, caused by different viruses. Flu is caused by influenza viruses, whereas the common cold can be caused by a number of different viruses, including rhinoviruses and seasonal coronaviruses. Seasonal coronaviruses should not be confused with SARS-COV-2. In general, flu is worse than a cold, and symptoms are typically more intense and start more abruptly. Colds are usually milder. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose than people who have flu. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalisations, but flu can have serious complications.

Influenza A type is a Sars virus!

Influenza subtype H2n2a 

I think some doesn't know a lot about sars.

Why do you think you use mrna vaccines because sars has rna proteins like influenza has the rna protein because it is a sars virus!

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

Influenza A type is a Sars virus!

Influenza subtype H2n2a 

I think some doesn't know a lot about sars.

Why do you think you use mrna vaccines because sars has rna proteins like influenza has the rna protein because it is a sars virus!

That's what it says. Don't just argue for the sake of it... 

Two flights on KLM from Cape town to Manchester via Schiphol yesterday were were held on the Tarmac and a further 67 were tested at the airport then transferred to a hotel after 67 passengers tested positive for Covid. they have not determined what strain they were infected with. 

1 minute ago, vlad said:

Two flights on KLM from Cape town to Manchester via Schiphol yesterday were were held on the Tarmac and a further 67 were tested at the airport then transferred to a hotel after 67 passengers tested positive for Covid. they have not determined what strain they were infected with. 

Yes, one of them while passengers were kept in the cabin waiting for 4 hours 🤬 Someone forgot about enclosed spaces and transmissibility I guess 🥴

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Sorry absolute wrong because the corona virus is a sars virus and influenza is a sars virus. I guess you doesnt know that the influenza virus first came from animals, too. And sure can sars viruses mutate to more infectious variants but to a flu/cold with milder symptoms. Thats by science. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

Sorry absolute wrong because the corona virus is a sars virus and influenza is a sars virus. I guess you doesnt know that the influenza virus first came from animals, too. And sure can sars viruses mutate to more infectious variants but to a flu/cold with milder symptoms. Thats by science. 

We are in agreement, but you're not reading it correctly... Never mind. 

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Do you mean like it is like this???

967970946_OmicronXi.jpg.8e8f59b57263e38e127ed1787a77df63.jpg

I actually joked in a previous post that Omicron sounds like a Hollywood invented name for a villain robot.

The attached says it all.😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I actually joked in a previous post that Omicron sounds like a Hollywood invented name for a villain robot.

The attached says it all.😂

Well, there is an existing movie by that name:

IMG_20211127_171041.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Am not gonna pretend I know a lot, but I can tell you are full of something.

There is no Sars virus! It is a corona virus! Sars is the disease.

I have never heard that influenza is a corona virus, I call BS on that, but submit that I have not searched for any answers, just calling it like I see it. Though I know it originally comes from animals, I think it is a separate strain of vira (viruses?)

3 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

Am not gonna pretend I know a lot, but I can tell you are full of something.

There is no Sars virus! It is a corona virus! Sars is the disease.

I have never heard that influenza is a corona virus, I call BS on that, but submit that I have not searched for any answers, just calling it like I see it. Though I know it originally comes from animals, I think it is a separate strain of vira (viruses?)

Coronaviruses are sars covid viruses. By the way the spanish flu was a influenza a type, too and killed millions and mutatet later in a influenza strain with milder symptoms.

29 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Absolutely not for further discussion (seriously!) as it was already way off topic, but here's some interesting reading for you:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30484-9/fulltext

Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus or called sars coronaviruses.

And better I use books or sources from medic universities than any articles from magazines.

A lot of posts on this thread are off topic and Please only discuss the topic

This is a friendly warning to all and discussing

(Flu and common cold and what is or what is not)

will end in warnings.

“Omicron” – a new Covid variant triggers travel alarms as flights disrupted

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Most governments have done more flips and backflips than your average gymnast! 

Two pictures of Fish & Chips for you. One for Northerns and one for the Southerners. I’ll let you work out which is which 😉 

B051FDA0-900A-4C21-8E05-D337469E80C0.webp

43D393F5-7800-4851-A08E-8E81C13A338B.jpeg

I don't care, can eat both. Together 🤭

• Haha 1

Thing is on planes you should be safe. Everyone gets a test before they board and everyone needs to have been vaccinated.

The problem is they recirculate the air because otherwise it uses fuel. This practice needs to stop. The filters are obviously not up to the job of removing any virus never mind Covid.

They need to start constantly bleeding air out and bringing fresh air in.

Yes it will cut margins but its the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Heard about the news, WHO 

Is talking about variant of concern

Omicron

My question is Thailand pass, when it entered the site it had urgent announcements, it said other countries dong 14 day aq, 

Does this mean there is no test and go

Can u please confirm I tried to insert the screenshots, but no uploading it is only 3.30 mb total, was going to send both English and thai

South Africa and other African countries banned 

The new Omicron variant has now been detected in two people in the U.K.  Boris to give a news conference at 17:00. Another big source of potential arrivals in to Thailand likely going nowhere soon, myself included 😳

• Like 1