News Forum - “Omicron” – a new Covid variant triggers travel alarms as flights disrupted

Thaiger

14 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Omicron...sounds like the name of a new Hollywood villain robot. Send action man to give it a kick in the pants.

or the name of France's latest diminutive Napoleon President ..

" Monsieur Micron , ze rosbifs are here " .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Or let me put it in that way what I expect in the long way:

If the bars stay closed the virus will go to the factories, offices, schools, peoples home etc. The virus is not programmed that he only goes into bars, etc. I expect the same behaviour like with flu including vaccination. The vaccines have to adopt with the mutations like the vaccines with the flu. But when the vaccines protect from heavy symptoms then also the hospitals will not overcrowded with covid patients. But this idea zero covid is possible is just a fairy tale and absurd and is the opposite of the collected infos. Now the only thing what is possible to adopt the vaccines with the mutations if it is necessary. 

Stardust, the virus doesn't go anywhere.

People take it to places.

Get protected with a vaccine and bloody well hope it works against the new variant, or we'll be locked down firmly again until pharma have adjusted their vaccines in some 3 months for testing.

If there are still morons out there that don't take protective measures to limit the spread and the damage, they are the ones causing a next wave if it comes.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

All we "know" is that countries are still run by incompetent people.

The moment this was known, they should have shut down travel from at risk countries and close borders to incoming traffic from anywhere it spread to. Every hour delay costs weeks or months to undo and countless victims.

Quick decisive action avoids the necessity of a prolonged tedious painful recovery.

I agree with you this should be done end of 2019 and 2020 as we see even after the outbreak was known from Wuhan. But millions of Chinese were travelling including 100 000 from Wuhan to Thailand. Then from Thailand through the whole world as Thailand was the first country covid was detected after China. But we cannot reverse it this happened already now we have to look forward and look for easy access for everybody for vaccines without all this hoops, buerocracy, stupid apps,registrations, lack of delivery, wrong anouncements, etc etc. Just walk ins first and second shot and passport or id thats it. It is absolutly absurd all this online application when you have a big part of population in the country side and many old people who can use their phone just to make a call but know nothing about apps or internet and often not even can read. Or to expect they are always updated online how and what to do. And the main point is often their apps etc not work at all or only sometimes. All crap to make it complicated, wasting time and produce more costs. This incompetent management must stop. 

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Get protected with a vaccine and bloody well hope it works against the new variant, or we'll be locked down firmly again until pharma have adjusted their vaccines in some 3 months for testing.

If there are still morons out there that don't take protective measures to limit the spread and the damage, they are the ones causing a next wave if it comes.

We will see as we know til now it protect from heavy symptoms (including new variants) but not from catching it. But thats ok if it protect from heavy symptoms the vaccines has done its jobs. But as I mentioned before the virus is here and will mutate anyway. Even you would lock down a country the virus would mutate inside the country because it is his program to become more infectious. Even you lockdown everything he would make peoples homes, condos to the hotspots of outbreaks. Sure should people be cautious and by the way I not go bars or clubs and busy with the family. We had clusters in factories and offices and from there it went to peoples home. So a factory with bad ventilation with many people working side by side has the same danger like a club, trains or anything in closed buildings etc. 

But if people sitiing in bars/ restaurants outdoor I not think is a problem or my supermarket visit is safer.

24 minutes ago, Stardust said:

...But we cannot reverse it this happened already now...

No, but we should have learned a lesson and prevent it from happening again!

IMG_20211127_131601.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

There's always one who after all these months still doesn't understand.

This variant is found because of genomic testing done on travelers.

And of course it's found in vaccinated people, because the unvaccinated can't travel!

And as vaccinated can catch and transmit the virus just like the unvaccinated, this doesn't mean that it originates from them!

Time to question the effectiveness  of the vaccines as well as the possible mutations from what are leaky vaccines.  Time for eveyone to stop the "blame game" and live their lives as best is possible without silly lockedowns etc.  The virus is here to stay and we must learn to live with it not run in fear.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

No, but we should have learned a lesson and prevent it from happening again!

IMG_20211127_131601.jpg

As I mentioned before when the virus is already in the country you cannot stop his program to mutate. And I have to correct me when I was talking about new variants and protection from the vaccines according the infos/studies we had I mean pfizer and moderna not Sinovac etc. Just to be more precised.

6 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

No prizes for guessing who was on the blower to the WHO demanding they skip one letter.....

image.png.18c0385f6fd3d6f11896e2ada01207a1.png

Actually we are at the Xi variant , this close the circle 😅🤣😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BangkokBen said:

This is just more evidence that efforts to contain, control or eliminate the virus are doomed to fail.  Vaccinate and then forget about it.  Worrying and restricting won't help anyone except the lying politicians and media.

On behalf of the "lying media" we'd like to say we'll keep reporting the news, backed by as much science as we can muster, with no thoughts or intentions to mislead you in any way. Thaiger Tim.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stardust said:

As covid is from the sars group it will mutate til it will be a normal flu or cold and for sure more infectious because it is the target of the virus. The only interesting point is what is the actual level of the symptoms of the virus because that every mutation will be more infectious is in his natuare and why the virus mutate but to be surprised or paniced its more than strange because that is known.

A coronavirus can't become a flu, anymore than a duck can become an armadillo.

5 hours ago, Sirquest said:

as well as 2 travellers currently quarantining in Hong Kong, Israel and Belgium

2 travellers being quaranining in 3 countries.

DId they clone a traveler?

or chopped up?

Did 1 of them stay in the doorway of an embassy? 

5 hours ago, BangkokBen said:

This is just more evidence that efforts to contain, control or eliminate the virus are doomed to fail.  Vaccinate and then forget about it.  Worrying and restricting won't help anyone except the lying politicians and media.

Agree - but some people refuse to vaccinate. Coming soon will be new Govt restrictions on the unvaccinated in many countries - but not enforced in all (Thailand etc.). 

• Like 1

What? People are not afraid of Covid anymore? 

Hmm... I might have an idea. Release the Omicron, destroyer of the world. That will make them scared again! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tarquin said:

No prizes for guessing who was on the blower to the WHO demanding they skip one letter.....

Do you mean like it is like this???

967970946_OmicronXi.jpg.8e8f59b57263e38e127ed1787a77df63.jpg

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

What? People are not afraid of Covid anymore? 

Hmm... I might have an idea. Release the Omicron, destroyer of the world. That will make them scared again! 

Did you mean like this !??  

1373302046_OmicronXi.jpg.324f69c2310aea75a8065b973c736bbf.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tarquin said:

WHO credibility was shot already, now appeasing the country that this thing originated in, its pure farce.

Spanish flu, German measles, Lyme disease, Marburg virus, MERS etc etc all well and good. But the Chinese flu or Xi variant? Nope not allowed that. Why? Clearly concerted efforts are being made to shield the country with the political system the MSM and big tech want the world ruled by from any negative publicity. Absolutely sickening, made worse by the possibility this disease was man made .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Good old Boris!! However it'll probably wait until Monday as they won't work on Saturdays and Sundays. Oh and no doubt it will come into force on January 15th. 😁

Flights already suspended and anyone arriving after 4am tomorrow (19 hours time) will need to hotel quarantine. 

2 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

Time to question the effectiveness  of the vaccines as well as the possible mutations from what are leaky vaccines.  Time for eveyone to stop the "blame game" and live their lives as best is possible without silly lockedowns etc.  The virus is here to stay and we must learn to live with it not run in fear.

The problem Billywillyjones is we cannot ignore and sweep this under the carpet and forget about it. Our lives are in more Danger because of this Covid. Millions have died and people are dying daily due to this virus so we cannot ignore it. The latest strain the  "Omicron" variant is potentially the worst so far. It has the quickest transmissions from the rest, and even our top vaccines will be less effective against it. I fear Thailand will be decimated if Omicron takes hold there, bearing in mind most people were vaccinated with a poor vaccine that was unable to fight a simple strain. So to ignore it Billy is foolish its serious. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

A shame I can only give that a single 👍🏻  

The single biggest scary aspect about Covid has been the fact that no matter how many times you explain things. No matter how much you try to show how the virus spreads etc etc, people just can’t work it out. It’s the reason people wear a mask and not covering their nose. All they have been told is to wear a mask. They haven’t taken in that it’s to stop fine aerosol particles leaving them carrying the virus and they leave via nose and mouth. For me, this has been the most scary aspect. It has brought in to stark focus just how little the general public understand about anything. This is where democracy fails for me, as they still get the vote !!! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Flights already suspended and anyone arriving after 4am tomorrow (19 hours time) will need to hotel quarantine. 

Where did you see that? Just lazy to look. 

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Good old Boris!! However it'll probably wait until Monday as they won't work on Saturdays and Sundays. Oh and no doubt it will come into force on January 15th. 😁

Yes Poolie good old Boris within 24 hours he was told of this South African variant and he took immediate action. Wonder when the Thai PM prevents any flights bringing tourists in from these African areas unless its already there.

• Like 1

We all just need to wait and see what happens with this new variant. Remember the Beta variant which I believe was also first found in South Africa? That was also meant to be the new killer variant. Ultimately it didn’t get far thanks to the Delta variant which became the prominent strain across the world. This new strain will turn out to be one of three options:

Less concerning. More concerning. About the same as Delta. We need to wait before making decisions. When I say “we” I mean governments across the world. 

148363FC-FBFB-4592-859F-0FE1B0B7A9E8.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Where did you see that? Just lazy to look. 

Been reported in the news and in Parliament yesterday. Here’s one link from the Guardian. Sorry about that. I normally wouldn’t use the Guardian for fish & chip paper!

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/26/uk-block-on-south-africa-flights-pushes-thousands-of-travel-plans-into-disarray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Been reported in the news and in Parliament yesterday. Here’s one link from the Guardian. Sorry about that. I normally wouldn’t use the Guardian for fish & chip paper!

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/26/uk-block-on-south-africa-flights-pushes-thousands-of-travel-plans-into-disarray

Mmm Fish and Chips. Yeah looks like the world is putting the brake in straying to back pedal. Normally I think when this happens it is already a bit too late. I thought you were referring to Thailand doing a back flip. I hope they do as they can’t even control the delta to date.