News Forum - Tourists and hotels warned about abuse of Covid-19 rules

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Nah sorry I’m not having that - if any booking SPECIFICALLY says it includes transport and a PCR test and then they try to bill you for this on arrival that’s wrong - but let’s hear from anyone this has happened to. As others have pointed out people with limited intellect are thinking this can all be done for 1000 baht ! 

Cue tumbleweed …

When you start searching for hotels

You quickly realize, within 10mins, that the lowest you can book for one night is around 4500-5k baht 

In out case for 2 people around 7800 baht 

There isn't cheaper 

So even if you were actually scammed by hotel saying they can do it for 1500-2000baht, that's on the tourist 

Because simply knowing how much PCR tests cost in your own country(ones you just took to get on the plane) would tell you that it can't be done for 1-2k baht 

12 hours ago, Benroon said:

Nah sorry I’m not having that - if any booking SPECIFICALLY says it includes transport and a PCR test and then they try to bill you for this on arrival that’s wrong - but let’s hear from anyone this has happened to. As others have pointed out people with limited intellect are thinking this can all be done for 1000 baht ! 

Cue tumbleweed …

The Govt rules for ALL overnight ASQ bookings is that the price MUST include Transport and PCR Test.  CCSA and TAT would not be publicly criticising Hotels if it was not something that has not happened.  When people found at the full price at the airport, when they tried to cancel and change to another hotel offering everything at a far lower costs, the first hotels were refusing to refund.  If you dont think that sort of thing happens in Thailand, then you have never lived in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 1:46 AM, AussieBob said:

The Govt rules for ALL overnight ASQ bookings is that the price MUST include Transport and PCR Test.  CCSA and TAT would not be publicly criticising Hotels if it was not something that has not happened.  When people found at the full price at the airport, when they tried to cancel and change to another hotel offering everything at a far lower costs, the first hotels were refusing to refund.  If you dont think that sort of thing happens in Thailand, then you have never lived in Thailand. 

I'm struggling with the grammar in that one re "When people found at the full price at the airport" ??? What does that mean ?

As for hotels refusing refunds because you found something cheaper is just bizarre - of course they will refuse as would any hotel anywhere in the world. Again it is the punter who should have done his homework - don't go sobbing to your preferred supplier because you didn't do your homework!

However as I said before, lets have some real examples ....

On 11/26/2021 at 1:46 AM, AussieBob said:

I've lied in Thailand long enough to know foreigners with various degrees of chips on their shoulders will take any opportunity however spurious to condemn their host nation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

I've lied in Thailand long enough to know foreigners with various degrees of chips on their shoulders will take any opportunity however spurious to condemn their host nation.

Ben - if you didnt realise it, you have massive the chip on your shoulder - much much bigger than mine.  There was an episode run on the Thaiger Youtube channel about mental health. You should and all Thai Apologists should watch this video - go to 2mins 40 secs:

"I do tend to avoid the Thailand apologists. These are the type of people who say like 'well if you dont like it here, you know where the airport is, go back to your own country. These people are complete idiots". 

Now I am not saying that applies to you Ben - but it clearly does to a couple of others on this Forum. But you maybe dont realise how much you are heading in that direction.  Being overly sensitive towards criticism of Thai issues and being aggressive and insulting towards people that 'vent' about the craziness in Thailand, is a good indication that you are heading in that direction.  Likewise, I have to be aware not to go too far and over criticise everything and everybody in Thailand, and become one of those Thai Insulters who see all bad and never see the good things. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:53 PM, AussieBob said:

Ben - if you didnt realise it, you have massive the chip on your shoulder - much much bigger than mine.  There was an episode run on the Thaiger Youtube channel about mental health. You should and all Thai Apologists should watch this video - go to 2mins 40 secs:

"I do tend to avoid the Thailand apologists. These are the type of people who say like 'well if you dont like it here, you know where the airport is, go back to your own country. These people are complete idiots". 

Now I am not saying that applies to you Ben - but it clearly does to a couple of others on this Forum. But you maybe dont realise how much you are heading in that direction.  Being overly sensitive towards criticism of Thai issues and being aggressive and insulting towards people that 'vent' about the craziness in Thailand, is a good indication that you are heading in that direction.  Likewise, I have to be aware not to go too far and over criticise everything and everybody in Thailand, and become one of those Thai Insulters who see all bad and never see the good things. 

Too much utter nonsense to be worthy of a reply to be honest - I've heard this 'thai apologist' thing before usually on the anti thai forum but I see you've now bought it over onto this one which is a shame.

I'm not an 'apologist' for anyone, I don't need to be. I state things as I see them, but one very common theme of the people who attack their host nation for ridiculous reasons, are usually made from people living on their uppers, not a pot to piss in, and firmly of the opinion that being an entitled, and in their minds a superior westerner, the thais should bend over backwards to such superior beings and will happily clear a bar in seconds with their endless drivel of how they should be able to live on 15,000 baht a month! They are of course talking bollox ! 

Still waiting for an example of anyone being scammed .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, AussieBob said:

But that is a huge problem in the Thai expat and frequent visitor community

It is the most negative community I have ever been a part of and it is by far, the worst part of my Thailand experience.

(meeting so many awesome expats and visitors has also been the best part)

And the thing that I find so bizarre, is the miserable bastards are the ones that are seemingly obsessed with the place!

I am not saying the whole community is negative, but there is a huge portion that is.

I don't know if they just weren't happy in their lives back West and it carried over.

Or they want to feel somewhat superior for once in their life.

I mean look at the majority of threads on this forum.

Some of the most negative and miserable bastards you could ever encounter.

That is not even mentioning all the wrong info people post and bitch about without bothering to do the slightest research

There are certainly many things Thailand can be criticized for, like most countries, including most of our homelands

But it is non-stop with so many miserable people

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, AussieBob said:

When people found at the full price at the airport, when they tried to cancel and change to another hotel offering everything at a far lower costs, the first hotels were refusing to refund.  If you dont think that sort of thing happens in Thailand, then you have never lived in Thailand. 

But that isn't what happened, which is clear if you read the full reports elsewhere and the statements from the CCSA.

What happened is that some tourists spotted a loophole in the Thailand Pass system where they could book a normal single night in an SHA+ hotel, with no transport or PCR test included, and still get the Pass approved automatically.

When they arrived and their booking was checked it was found not to include test or transport so they had to either pay extra to include it or re-book in a SHA+ hotel that could include transport and test - not all can / do.

They then tried to cancel their original booking if they re-booked in a different hotel and to get a refund, and the hotels refused because it was within 24 hours of their arrival / book-in time.

They were trying to scam the system and they got caught out, it's as simple as that but that doesn't suit some people's agendas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

It is the most negative community I have ever been a part of and it is by far, the worst part of my Thailand experience.

And the thing that I find so bizarre, is the miserable bastards are the ones that are seemingly obsessed with the place!

I am not saying the whole community is negative, but there is a huge portion that is.

I don't know if they just weren't happy in their lives back West and it carried over.

That is not even mentioning all the wrong info people post and bitch about without bothering to do the slightest research

There are certainly many things Thailand can be criticized for, like most countries, including most of our homelands

... and they seem to gravitate to forums like this, where they can find like-minded "negative and miserable bastards" 😂!

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

It might be a matter of perception, but I can't say I have the same view of this forum as you do.

I will say though, I find it paradoxical that so many on here love their time in TH, but you can rarely find someone with a good word to say about the people unless it's a spouse. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

Too much utter nonsense to be worthy of a reply to be honest - I've heard this 'thai apologist' thing before usually on the anti thai forum but I see you've now bought it over onto this one which is a shame.

I'm not an 'apologist' for anyone, I don't need to be. I state things as I see them, but one very common theme of the people who attack their host nation for ridiculous reasons, are usually made from people living on their uppers, not a pot to piss in, and firmly of the opinion that being an entitled, and in their minds a superior westerner, the thais should bend over backwards to such superior beings and will happily clear a bar in seconds with their endless drivel of how they should be able to live on 15,000 baht a month! They are of course talking bollox ! 

Still waiting for an example of anyone being scammed .....

"not worthy of a reply"  And then you give a lot of reply ...........  Yep - classic sign of a chip there mate.

Not one of those 'abusive' comments you made applies to myself. No further reply warranted.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

But that isn't what happened, which is clear if you read the full reports elsewhere and the statements from the CCSA.

What happened is that some tourists spotted a loophole in the Thailand Pass system where they could book a normal single night in an SHA+ hotel, with no transport or PCR test included, and still get the Pass approved automatically.

When they arrived and their booking was checked it was found not to include test or transport so they had to either pay extra to include it or re-book in a SHA+ hotel that could include transport and test - not all can / do.

They then tried to cancel their original booking if they re-booked in a different hotel and to get a refund, and the hotels refused because it was within 24 hours of their arrival / book-in time.

They were trying to scam the system and they got caught out, it's as simple as that but that doesn't suit some people's agendas.

No agenda mate - scams in Thailand are a regular thing - or are you living under a rock mate?  Come on mate - are you saying scams in Thailand aint happening?  Sure they happen everywhere in the world, but Thailand has it down to an 'art form' mate.

In response to you and others - people like me on this forum are not anti-Thai hater bigots racist nazi whingers. We are pointing out the issues and advising others (especially newbies) while giving our opinions on those issues.  Are you guys saying that TAT announcements cannot be criticised and ridiculed - come on - get real.

As the Bangkok guy in that video said, which was shown on the Thaiger Youtube channel by the way (not a Thai bashing outlet), people who become 'Thai apologists' are just crazy - and he avoids them at all costs. They go so far that they never see anything wrong happening and they attack any criticism as unacceptable and accuses the person of being a racist bigoted bar-drinking Thai hater. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

No agenda mate - scams in Thailand are a regular thing - or are you living under a rock mate?  Come on mate - are you saying scams in Thailand aint happening?  Sure they happen everywhere in the world, but Thailand has it down to an 'art form' mate.

In response to you and others - people like me on this forum are not anti-Thai hater bigots racist nazi whingers. We are pointing out the issues and advising others (especially newbies) while giving our opinions on those issues.  Are you guys saying that TAT announcements cannot be criticised and ridiculed - come on - get real.

As the Bangkok guy in that video said, which was shown on the Thaiger Youtube channel by the way (not a Thai bashing outlet), people who become 'Thai apologists' are just crazy - and he avoids them at all costs. They go so far that they never see anything wrong happening and they attack any criticism as unacceptable and accuses the person of being a racist bigoted bar-drinking Thai hater. 

Spot on. By covering up scams and making excuses, one is going a ways to help dishonest folk continue on their merry way.

I warn visitors of things to be aware of in Australia. I'm not doing it to slag off my homeland. I say it as a warning. I have had warnings from well meaning Thais but does that truly mean that these people dislike their own nation?

Pre warned is prepared, be in the loop and avoid difficulties later. Not a bad idea.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

No agenda mate - scams in Thailand are a regular thing - or are you living under a rock mate? 

No, not "living under a rock", just in the real world in Thailand, now for close to thirty years - long enough to realise that some things are scams and some aren't and to be able to tell the diference.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Come on mate - are you saying scams in Thailand aint happening? 

Ummm ..... 'No".

I'm saying, I thought pretty clearly, that THIS wasn't a scam.  For me to suggest that means "scams in Thailand aint happening" would be as asinine as for you or others others to suggest that everything is a scam - not that anyone would do that, of course 😂!

In response to you and others - people like me on this forum are not anti-Thai hater bigots racist nazi whingers

I never suggested you were a bigot, racist or a nazi.

We are pointing out the issues and advising others (especially newbies) while giving our opinions on those issues.

Fortunately very few "newbies" read these forums so it's largely preaching to the converted, whichever side of the fence you're on.

Are you guys saying that TAT announcements cannot be criticised and ridiculed - come on - get real.

Maybe you're reading something else, as you don't seem to be reading anything anyone's written here - no one's ever suggested that in any way, so I suggest it's you and your ilk who need to "get real" about what people actually say here.

Just because some people don't trash everything written by TAT / the CCSA / any government group and agree that what they sometimes say is 100% correct doesn't meant their "announcements cannot be criticised and ridiculed". There's no connection between the two at all and it's keeping an open mind and having a balanced view rather than just trashing for the sake of it.

If you can't see the difference and can't see that just trashing everything automatically, as you've done in THIS case, then it's as well you left Thailand and took your blinkers elsewhere.

As the Bangkok guy in that video said, which was shown on the Thaiger Youtube channel by the way (not a Thai bashing outlet), people who become 'Thai apologists' are just crazy - and he avoids them at all costs.

Well, that's your view of the Thaiger, and like everything else you're entitled to it. I don't see anyone here who's an "apologist" for anything, but I see plenty who just like throwing mud as it justifies their own prejudices and failures, and see a few (sadly only a few) who keep an open mind and praise what's worth praising and criticise what isn't.

They go so far that they never see anything wrong happening and they attack any criticism as unacceptable and accuses the person of being a racist bigoted bar-drinking Thai hater. 

If the cap fits, wear it - the only criticism I've seen in this thread is of those who see a scam in everything - even here where the only scams are by those trying to get one over on Thai Immigration and failing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Spot on. By covering up scams and making excuses, one is going a ways to help dishonest folk continue on their merry way.

The only people "covering up a scam and making excuses" here are those trying to blame the hotels for scamming tourists, when the reality is that the only "dishonest folk" are the tourists who've tried to play the system and scam Thai Immigration!

I warn visitors of things to be aware of in Australia. I'm not doing it to slag off my homeland. I say it as a warning. I have had warnings from well meaning Thais but does that truly mean that these people dislike their own nation?

Pre warned is prepared, be in the loop and avoid difficulties later. Not a bad idea.

Agreed absolutely, @mickkotlarski - forewarned is fore-armed, 'Be Prepared',  etc.

Painting everything as a scam, though, even when it's clearly not, doesn't help anyone as it just leads to Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome where the warnings are ignored because everything's painted black even when it's not - balance the criticism, black and white, and people notice and remember the black; paint it all black, and it just becomes a pointless rant.

16 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The only people "covering up a scam and making excuses" here are those trying to blame the hotels for scamming tourists, when the reality is that the only "dishonest folk" are the tourists who've tried to play the system and scam Thai Immigration!

Agreed absolutely, @mickkotlarski - forewarned is fore-armed, 'Be Prepared',  etc.

Painting everything as a scam, though, even when it's clearly not, doesn't help anyone as it just leads to Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome where the warnings are ignored because everything's painted black even when it's not - balance the criticism, black and white, and people notice and remember the black; paint it all black, and it just becomes a pointless rant.

The TAT removed numerous hotels off the ASQ listing for both scams and lack of procedural adherence. Only this year I faced a hotel scam but had coverage. It may not be rampany but it does exist. 

• Thanks 1

The problem is the fault of both parties.

Thailand Pass automatically approved without the correct criteria for entry. No one can deny that, however they were trying to speed things up.

Travellers didn't research enough information to ensure they were fully compliant regardless of the TP approval.

On my research for Bangkok/Pattaya sandbox it was clear transport and testing needed to be included and stated on the receipt. When I was checking prices it was clear to me that hotel booking sites didn't include these extra costs also from the beginning of November a lot of hotels didn't have their pricing structure for the new regulations.

Personally I put more emphasis of blame on the traveller, they were caught out and paid the price for being lazy.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

The TAT removed numerous hotels off the ASQ listing for both scams and lack of procedural adherence. 

What do you mean "both scams"?

You're confusing two very different gradings and two very different issues.

The hotels supposedly participating in the 'scam' over transport and tests - which was actually an attempted and failed scam by some tourists - are SHA+ hotels, not ASQ hotels.

Some may be both, but there's no reason why they should be.

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

What do you mean "both scams"?

You're confusing two very different gradings and two very different issues.

The hotels supposedly participating in the 'scam' over transport and tests - which was actually an attempted and failed scam by some tourists - are SHA+ hotels, not ASQ hotels.

Some may be both, but there's no reason why they should be.

I mean BOTH  Scams AND procedural adherence. In short are implying that only visitors scam and the Thai transport and test packages are all fully compliant and honest?

With this mentality the dishonesty will continue. Just sweep it under the carpet and blame the foreigner.

Very good advert for welcome to Thailand indeed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

The problem is the fault of both parties.

Thailand Pass automatically approved without the correct criteria for entry. No one can deny that, however they were trying to speed things up.

Travellers didn't research enough information to ensure they were fully compliant regardless of the TP approval.

On my research for Bangkok/Pattaya sandbox it was clear transport and testing needed to be included and stated on the receipt. When I was checking prices it was clear to me that hotel booking sites didn't include these extra costs also from the beginning of November a lot of hotels didn't have their pricing structure for the new regulations.

Personally I put more emphasis of blame on the traveller, they were caught out and paid the price for being lazy.

Agreed, @Pete424, the Thai Pass shouldn't have allowed those who'd only booked a room to have their application approved - whether those who did so were being "lazy", though, or exploiting a loophole is a matter of opinion 😯

59 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed, @Pete424, the Thai Pass shouldn't have allowed those who'd only booked a room to have their application approved - whether those who did so were being "lazy", though, or exploiting a loophole is a matter of opinion 😯

I'd opt for lazy, exploiting a loophole clearly failed and cost more money in the long run.

Also I  don't see these as scams, it's unfortunate circumstances that allowed TP to approve and travellers too lazy to research, or deliberately trying to be cheap....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I mean BOTH  Scams AND procedural adherence.

Again, what "SCAMS"?

There's only been ONE scam by the hotels suggested here, and even that's based on some very questionable mis-reporting of what the CCSA spokeswoman, Apisamai, is supposed to have said.

Reportedly she "admitted" to "scams" by the hotels, and that's what these various articles are based on.

If you read what she ACTUALLY said, though, rather than what she's REPORTED to have said which is then repeated and misquoted in a second report with parts of the source article mis-quoted as being what she said, what she ACTUALLY said is very different:

"These hotels apparently only display their room fees, and when travellers arrive they learn they have to pay for the transfer from the airport and Covid-19 tests ... By then it’s too late for a refund.

Thailand has been open for 22 days, and hotel owners should know by now that they are required to include all mandatory expenses in the room package ... Advertising just the room price can be seen as a deceitful business practice, so any hotels still doing this should stop immediately.

That's all she said about it, hinging around what some hotels "apparently" do and how some tourists "can" see it if they fail to check their booking.

That's now been taken out of context and completely mis-represented and mis-quoted, to paint a completely different picture.

45 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

In short are implying that only visitors scam and the Thai transport and test packages are all fully compliant and honest?

Who is?

Who's said that?

(Hint: nobody here, except in some people's over-active imagination)

With this mentality the dishonesty will continue. Just sweep it under the carpet and blame the foreigner.

What "mentality"?

Who's sweeping anything under the carpet?

Apisamai and the CCSA brought what's "apparently" happening out into the open so that if it's happening it "should stop immediately", and instead of being commended for it all that's happened is the usual suspects have jumped on the outrage / scam / whingealot bus 😂!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

I'd opt for lazy, exploiting a loophole clearly failed and cost more money in the long run.

Also I  don't see these as scams, it's unfortunate circumstances that allowed TP to approve and travellers too lazy to research, or deliberately trying to be cheap....

That's what anyone looking at it objectively would also conclude ...

On 12/2/2021 at 1:47 AM, AussieBob said:

So give us a country that is devoid of scams ? Give us an example of something erroneous about Thailand that is not found in every other country on the planet ? Perhaps a crime that is exclusive to Thailand ? Anything ? Knowing that you can't at least accept you are consistent in talking utter tripe !

From what I can gather, the opposite of a 'thai apologist' is a pant wetter - those folks who when confronted with the slightest of curve balls that life throws at them, rather than man up and deal with it like normal grown ups, whinge, cry and complain to anyone stupid enough to listen about how unfair life is and how the whole world is against the poor little lambs !  The forums are full of them! 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 6:08 AM, Stonker said:

Again, what "SCAMS"?

There's only been ONE scam by the hotels suggested here, and even that's based on some very questionable mis-reporting of what the CCSA spokeswoman, Apisamai, is supposed to have said.

What's happened is yet another poorly written article in a very long list of poorly written articles has thrown out the word  'scam' - the fragile of mind have leapt on this, not read the aforementioned article, decided that Thailand is the devil incarnate whilst all the time it is they that have provided the substance for the report by trying to scam a system without the intellectual capacity to pull it off ! It's laughable.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1