News Forum - Deadline on Friday to apply for 60-day “Covid” visa extension

Thaiger

The deadline to apply for the 60-day “Covid” visa extension is this Friday, but the date is likely to be pushed back as it has been in the past due to the the ongoing Covid-19 situation. There has been talk among the expat community that the Thai Cabinet approved an order to push the deadline to apply for the extension from this Friday to December 31, but a new deadline has not been confirmed. The Thaiger’s Thai news staff reviewed the official minutes of Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting and found it did not mention the 60-day visa extension. The order was […]

The story Deadline on Friday to apply for 60-day “Covid” visa extension as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I really don’t understand this being offered to everyone. I would have thought there were only a handful of countries that still do not permit entry? Why would anyone from a European country or the US be granted an extension on the grounds of Covid?  I realise “border runs” aren’t possible, but the government are always claiming they try to stop such practice. Maybe they do love us after all 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I really don’t understand this being offered to everyone. I would have thought there were only a handful of countries that still do not permit entry? Why would anyone from a European country or the US be granted an extension on the grounds of Covid?  I realise “border runs” aren’t possible, but the government are always claiming they try to stop such practice. Maybe they do love us after all 😉

I don't get this extension at all. Everyone can go home - Ok most of them can! So why not?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are many reasons people are "stuck" here. Fear of flying on an airplane with poor ventilation, crowded airports with long layovers, waiting weeks to get a "COVID Passport" issued, etc. In our case and many other yachts stuck here we came from Malaysia but cannot return as their ports are closed to foreign yachts. In the meantime we continue to infuse much money into the local economy. The goverment should do all they can to encourage foreigners here to stay, at least until normal tourism picks up again.

• Like 1

Our yacht is our only home, has been for 23 years. We have no home in Malaysia or our "home" country. Leaving a yacht here unattended is not an option. Many unattended yachts have been stripped.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Indeed they do. And it's quite obvious.

This topic came up about 6 months ago, and some posters were up in arms over it. I didn't understand then, and don't understand now why some of you are so against it. Is it affecting you directly on some level??

I personally have been taking advantage of it for the last 7 months after my 3 month visa expired, simply to be able to spend more time with my family. I am married to a Thai, have 2 daughters, own a house, pay my taxes, and pay my daughters school fees. In ten months here I have spent over 1.5 mil Baht, which far exceeds the requirements of a retirement or marriage visa.

I would think this should suffice to be allowed to stay a bit longer, or do you think I should pack my bags and leave?

• Like 2

At Chiang Mai immigration yesterday, one of the staff told me the 25 January extension was official. Here are some other things I didn't know (for tourists):

1. You have to get the normal 30-day extension (which, like usual, always starts from the end of your entry visa) before you can apply for a covid extension
  2. The first covid extension begins on the date of application (so apply just before your 30-day extension expires). This is because you are changing visa type
  3. Subsequent covid extensions always begin from the end of the previous covid extension
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Svcoquette said:

There are many reasons people are "stuck" here. Fear of flying on an airplane with poor ventilation, crowded airports with long layovers, waiting weeks to get a "COVID Passport" issued, etc. In our case and many other yachts stuck here we came from Malaysia but cannot return as their ports are closed to foreign yachts. In the meantime we continue to infuse much money into the local economy. The goverment should do all they can to encourage foreigners here to stay, at least until normal tourism picks up again.

I agree with you 100% on this. It's just unfortunate some ignorant people want to keep bringing up the word backpacker when it comes to the Covid Visa extensions.-Obviously we're not all backpackers.

21 hours ago, Shark said:

I don't get this extension at all. Everyone can go home - Ok most of them can! So why not?

I don't want to go back home . 

Its winter time now 

4 minutes ago, Shark said:

and this is my problem why?

Not only is it not your problem, it completely has nothing to do with you and none of your business , so, dont worry yourself about it 

• Like 1

The Coivid visa extension  will be available to next March and may also be extended to next May and beyond , so I will be going home in the Spring or Summer .

I decided that I do not want to stay long term in Thailand , so I didn't get another yearly visa and monthly visas are all that I need 

Edited by Faz
off topic quote removed.

1 hour ago, Wasminbe said:

Covid Visa extensions.-Obviously we're not all backpackers.

Obviously not, but a considerable number are or are 'digital nomads', taking advantage of the situation and giving others here a bad name.

Others, like you, could be on a regular visa but you prefer not to be, leaving only a few who have a genuine reason - like @Svcoquette.

She, unfortunately, is going to be lumped in with everyone else who's giving her group a bad name through no fault of her own and there's nothing she can do about it - welcome to the world of the expat in Thailand, @Svcoquette!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Who cares. If these people want to stay what business is it of anyone else. Right now Thailand needs visitors. Why shouldn't they avail themselves of a LEGAL way to stay longer if they so want. They're not breaking any laws. 

You'd think some people in here had never broken the speed limit..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Not only is it not your problem, it completely has nothing to do with you and none of your business , so, dont worry yourself about it 

Well.....you seem to want to make it everyone's business by continuing to post references towards these things and your personal doings. Most are free to shed an opinion to things that you purposely bring unneeded attention to. 

If it's no one's business [as you see], then don't touch upon it if you feel you're gonna be let down or critiqued.  

After all, it's really the attention that you crave, ain't it? 

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

Well.....you seem to want to make it everyone's business by continuing to post references towards these things and your personal doings. Most are free to shed an opinion to things that you purposely bring unneeded attention to. 

If it's no one's business [as you see], then don't touch upon it if you feel you're gonna be let down or critiqued.  

After all, it's really the attention that you crave, ain't it? 

Shark asked me as to why it was his problem and I informed him  that it wasn't his problem 

• Like 1

A number of off topic and misleading posts including the replies have been removed.

I'd like to address the article and some of the removed posts.

1. The Thaiger news article in my opinion is incorrect with it's information. The Thai cabinet meeting that approved extending the 60 day Covid extension deadlines was on Tuesday 16th of last week.
A link to the Thai language and an English translation of the cabinets approval of that meeting were posted by myself here: https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/8227-60-day-covid-extension-application-scheme-extended-to-dec-31st-2021/#comment-111511

@mark147 further confirms this fact as notified by CM Immigration.

They are not Covid 'Visa' extensions, they are 60 day extensions of your permission of stay.
You cannot extend a Visa - they have a  an enter before date at which point they expire.
Your applying at Immigration to extend your permission of stay from your original entry to Thailand.
Extensions of stay are permits, not Visas.

Some very misleading information and posts widely off topic posts in this thread.
The topic is about 60 day 'Covid' extensions, not annual extensions, Visas or funds in a Thai bank.

Further off topic posts or containing misleading information will be removed without further notice.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 5:08 PM, Soidog said:

2 main reasons in my opinion why Immigration are still prepared to offer 60 day extensions of permission of stay due to Covid to foreigners.

1. With the lack of tourists trade, forcing foreigners to leave is counter productive when so few are arriving.
If foreigners who initial arrived as tourists some time ago, but perhaps don't want to return to a worse Covid situation in their home Country, Immigration are more than happy to oblige whilst they'll spend their incomes/pensions here.

2. Closed borders. Hundreds if not thousands of foreigners with a Thai spouse family and unable to meet the financial requirements for annual extensions, previously stayed in Thailand by virtue of the Non Imm O ME Visa, offered in Lao and Vietnam without any proof of finances. Until these borders reopen they can't obtain further Visas to remain in Thailand. For many Thailand is their only home. They are totally reliant on these 60 day Covid extensions in order to remain with their spouse/Thai family.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

2 main reasons in my opinion why Immigration are still prepared to offer 60 day extensions of permission of stay due to Covid to foreigners.

1. With the lack of tourists trade, forcing foreigners to leave is counter productive when so few are arriving.
If foreigners who initial arrived as tourists some time ago, but perhaps don't want to return to a worse Covid situation in their home Country, Immigration are more than happy to oblige whilst they'll spend their incomes/pensions here.

2. Closed borders. Hundreds if not thousands of foreigners with a Thai spouse family and unable to meet the financial requirements for annual extensions, previously stayed in Thailand by virtue of the Non Imm O ME Visa, offered in Lao and Vietnam without any proof of finances. Until these borders reopen they can't obtain further Visas to remain in Thailand. For many Thailand is their only home. They are totally reliant on these 60 day Covid extensions in order to remain with their spouse/Thai family.

Faz, can I ask a question?

Many have written here about the government wanting retirees and other expats out, regardless of their home or family, by making it more difficult with new regulations and demands, even during Covid and recently pre-announced for next year.

Yet, your explanations show the exact opposite, being lenient even for the ones without proof of finances.

Why would the government do this while I see that many claim that they use everything in the book to get rid of us?

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Faz, can I ask a question?

Many have written here about the government wanting retirees and other expats out, regardless of their home or family, by making it more difficult with new regulations and demands, even during Covid and recently pre-announced for next year.

Yet, your explanations show the exact opposite, being lenient even for the ones without proof of finances.

Why would the government do this while I see that many claim that they use everything in the book to get rid of us?

Perhaps it just the simple case they understand the importance of family ties and relationships so hence people who are on extensions due to marriage supporting Thai spouses and family meet their objectives of Thai family support. Whereas given the dodges and fiddles over the years for people who have obtained extensions based on "retirement" are known not to offer anything in that regard so hence the government's apparent  push to to get these types out. You have to consider what the Thai government consider as morally acceptable is not necessarily what others may think especially so in a society where family ties and support is so important to them. 

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Perhaps it just the simple case they understand the importance of family ties and relationships so hence people who are on extensions due to marriage supporting Thai spouses and family meet their objectives of Thai family support. Whereas given the dodges and fiddles over the years for people who have obtained extensions based on "retirement" are known not to offer anything in that regard so hence the government's apparent  push to to get these types out. You have to consider what the Thai government consider as morally acceptable is not necessarily what others may think especially so in a society where family ties and support is so important to them. 

Yep. Rather sensible, Gummy...

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Thanks gummy, I did consider that, but there were also plenty on other extensions that have left or are thinking about leaving in their thousands, even though they have families here. That's why I don't understand the tightening thumbscrews for one group and leniency for the other if both can include the family men.

Just now, Bob20 said:

Thanks gummy, I did consider that, but there were also plenty on other extensions that have left or are thinking about leaving in their thousands, even though they have families here. That's why I don't understand the tightening thumbscrews for one group and leniency for the other if both can include the family men.

Yes they may have families here so in the eyes of the Thai administration why don't they simply get married and hence conform to a conventional family unit, or is it they have something to hide like they have families here but are married with families elsewhere so simply can't  ? Now that raises all sorts of moral arguments as to the type of persons they are and we all know how this PM has high moral standards, or at least he say he has.