News Forum - Myanmar’s shadow government raises US$6.3 million for “revolution”

Thaiger

In a campaign for a “revolution” against Myanmar’s military following the February 1 coup and bloody crackdown, the country’s shadow government began issuing special “treasury bonds” and say they more than US$6.3 million on the first day. The National Unity Government, or NUG, is a coalition of pro-democracy organisations, ethnic minority militaries, and remnants of the country’s deposed civilian government, which is known as the National League for Democracy led by detained Aung San Suu Kyi. NUG’s Deputy Minister for Planning, Finance, and Investment, Min Zeyar Oo, told local news station DVB TV News that they were sold within two […]

The story Myanmar’s shadow government raises US$6.3 million for “revolution” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The National Unity Government, or NUG, is a coalition of pro-democracy organisations, ethnic minority militaries, and remnants of the country’s deposed civilian government, which is known as the National League for Democracy led by detained Aung San Suu Kyi."

It is good to see that the opposition in Burma has successfully united and raised some funds; regardless of the method chosen to fight the military, it'll cost money.

This is going to be an interesting campaign on the part of the opposition as I don't really believe that a military victory is possible; they will have to use other means to make the Military Regime fail.

In an ideal world, there would be global outcry/action against what is occurring, but it appears that at least China and Russia are providing a life-line to the Military Regime. However, if there is one constant among authoritarian governments, it is that they crave recognition from the West and that doesn't seem likely. Yes, I know, I don't particularly understand it either, but cast an eye around modern history and you'll see elements of that thought everywhere. My own view, which may or may not be correct, is that only the West can give a 'Moral Say-So' to a Regime, and no one really wants to be seen as an agent of evil (yes, @Poolie, take a shot, but it is true).

What can the opposition do? 

First and foremost, do everything possible to remain a story in the International Media; if ever the stories dry up, the cause is lost. 

Establish and maintain a network of outsiders from many different countries to advocate on behalf of the Burmese people; that network already exists and should be able to be maintained and expanded quite easily. 

Campaign against National acceptance in the International Arena; so far ASEAN has denied full recognition and that is a GREAT thing (I am not a fan of ASEAN, but so far, they have been very good; a RARE "Kudos" from me!). 

Advocate at the UN; yes, I know, the UN (blah blah blah), but the simple fact is that if we didn't have a place for countries to talk like the UN, we would invent one. And, as long as the UN can be utilized as a platform for the people of Burma to protest, the battle isn't lost.

Inside the country, a low-level campaign of non-violent protest will go far, as long as there are still means of getting the story out to the wider world.

In tandem with a low-level non-violence campaign, there should also be low-intensity conflict strategies to just screw the place up even further; some will accept authoritarian governments IF they make the trains run on time, so make sure that the trains DON'T run on time.

Finally, hope that people in the region (that means you and I among others) continue to advocate for the return of the elected government. I wouldn't expect all TT members to become rabid advocates for the Burmese people (but if so inclined... ), but a few soft words to friends and family in our native countries can go a long way. Just saying.

It is a terribly sad situation that the Burmese people have to fight again and again and again to attain basic freedoms, but who said that either the world or life in general was fair. I am not a religious man, but I do say a prayer for them and hope others do as well.

Authoritarian Regimes tend to collapse from within, but some outside help can assist that process

Why not lend a 'helping hand'?

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

"The National Unity Government, or NUG, is a coalition of pro-democracy organisations, ethnic minority militaries, and remnants of the country’s deposed civilian government, which is known as the National League for Democracy led by detained Aung San Suu Kyi."

It is good to see that the opposition in Burma has successfully united and raised some funds; regardless of the method chosen to fight the military, it'll cost money.

This is going to be an interesting campaign on the part of the opposition as I don't really believe that a military victory is possible; they will have to use other means to make the Military Regime fail.

In an ideal world, there would be global outcry/action against what is occurring, but it appears that at least China and Russia are providing a life-line to the Military Regime. However, if there is one constant among authoritarian governments, it is that they crave recognition from the West and that doesn't seem likely. Yes, I know, I don't particularly understand it either, but cast an eye around modern history and you'll see elements of that thought everywhere. My own view, which may or may not be correct, is that only the West can give a 'Moral Say-So' to a Regime, and no one really wants to be seen as an agent of evil (yes, @Poolie, take a shot, but it is true).

What can the opposition do? 

First and foremost, do everything possible to remain a story in the International Media; if ever the stories dry up, the cause is lost. 

Establish and maintain a network of outsiders from many different countries to advocate on behalf of the Burmese people; that network already exists and should be able to be maintained and expanded quite easily. 

Campaign against National acceptance in the International Arena; so far ASEAN has denied full recognition and that is a GREAT thing (I am not a fan of ASEAN, but so far, they have been very good; a RARE "Kudos" from me!). 

Advocate at the UN; yes, I know, the UN (blah blah blah), but the simple fact is that if we didn't have a place for countries to talk like the UN, we would invent one. And, as long as the UN can be utilized as a platform for the people of Burma to protest, the battle isn't lost.

Inside the country, a low-level campaign of non-violent protest will go far, as long as there are still means of getting the story out to the wider world.

In tandem with a low-level non-violence campaign, there should also be low-intensity conflict strategies to just screw the place up even further; some will accept authoritarian governments IF they make the trains run on time, so make sure that the trains DON'T run on time.

Finally, hope that people in the region (that means you and I among others) continue to advocate for the return of the elected government. I wouldn't expect all TT members to become rabid advocates for the Burmese people (but if so inclined... ), but a few soft words to friends and family in our native countries can go a long way. Just saying.

It is a terribly sad situation that the Burmese people have to fight again and again and again to attain basic freedoms, but who said that either the world or life in general was fair. I am not a religious man, but I do say a prayer for them and hope others do as well.

Authoritarian Regimes tend to collapse from within, but some outside help can assist that process

Why not lend a 'helping hand'?

f*** Evil CCP. That is what is need to be done

• Like 1