News Forum - End of an era – last trains to Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong in December

Thaiger

It’s the end of an era as the State Railway of Thailand looks to ceasing train services to and from Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong railway station. The expensive patch of land, where the famous station is located, is slated for a swish new commercial development. The decommissioning of the famous old station will happen at the end of the year. Hua Lamphong, has been the start or end of millions of journeys for over a century and is a Bangkok landmark. Originally built in 1916, Hua Lamphong was designed by Italian duo Mario Tamagno and Annibale Rigotti. Style-wise, the iconic station […]

The story End of an era – last trains to Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong in December as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well I can say that I have travelled to and from and been in that station. Straight to the point speaking, that new train station is going to be an albatross of inconvenience and probably end up being a ghost station of a huge loss of money. So long Thailand as we once knew it. 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well I can say that I have travelled to and from and been in that station. Straight to the point speaking, that new train station is going to be an albatross of inconvenience and probably end up being a ghost station of a huge loss of money. So long Thailand as we once knew it. 

Dude. It's a 15 minute journey on Sirat expressway from the new to the old, not exactly an albatross of inconvenience!!

Bang Sue will be a great success. 

It also happens to be right next to the biggest bus terminus in Thailand. Not so inconvenient after all methinks....

• Like 1

Take the last train to Hua Lamphong
Now I must hang up the phone
I can't hear you in this
Noisy railroad station, all alone

#Monkees remake 

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

in my travel management and tour leading training days i must have taken dozens of trains from hua Lampong

it was also convenient as if groups were running late they could be shipped to Samsen station to board there

in theory the new station should be ok i have only seen it from a train from the old Bang sue station

however new or not i give a few years of old diesels  locos coughing  stuff into the air to make a bit aged

38 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Dude. It's a 15 minute journey on Sirat expressway from the new to the old, not exactly an albatross of inconvenience!!

Bang Sue will be a great success. 

It also happens to be right next to the biggest bus terminus in Thailand. Not so inconvenient after all methinks....

Then we differ in opinions. Before Covid I was all around Bangkok for what I do coming from CM, using DM airport, going to certain shows, markets, meetings or family travel as I have family in Bangkok. I am an avid user of easy transportation for Bangkok and that even goes to the taxi motorcycles and Klong boats. I time it by what I use for where I go by traffic and the time of the day. I have watched this station from the ground break to what is is today. They might as well make a futuristic launching pad there so they can do space travel, then it might become an effective well money spent place. Waste of money and land and do you know that anything 15 minutes outside the main part of the city can be a horror in Bangkok several several times every day? Airports are popular and well used, but this will be a loss.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

The new station is a total eyesore !

Easy to find though .......................................................... from outer space! 😀

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, poohy said:

in my travel management and tour leading training days i must have taken dozens of trains from hua Lampong

it was also convenient as if groups were running late they could be shipped to Samsen station to board there

in theory the new station should be ok i have only seen it from a train from the old Bang sue station

however new or not i give a few years of old diesels  locos coughing  stuff into the air to make a bit aged

Yeah in theory and the grandeur and acclaim they the junta oh so want to have making them look industrious and so elite will end up to be their spoils and failure once again. And as you said the old diesel locomotives and the absence of passengers and crumby location mixed with the already frustrating traffic adding more traffic yet again including the surface streets (that are jammed already) will make it fade rather quick. Yes, the old system you nailed it. Miss that train and then plan to catch it at another spot. Or the get off where you want as that is convenient as it is best to avoid traffic or the need to go all the way.

This was not smartly thought out, and even if they do have bullet trains then those will die a miserable waste of money death as well. . 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Easy to find though .......................................................... from outer space! 😀

Ok, I shouldn't say it so apologize beforehand, but you can add the PM's head to that too.

I heard that Hua Lamphong station was going to be converted into a concert hall and would become the new home of the Royal Bangkok Symphony Orchestra 

From Don Jai Dee