News Forum - TAT: 400,000 tourist in 2021, 18 million in 2022 worth 1 trillion

Thaiger

11 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Sad situation, though I'm sure he knew the risk and took an informed decision. Hope he tests negative soon, but be prepared that some will take up to 21 days to clear. At least his trip is long enough to still enjoy after quarantine.

Yeah of course he knew all the risks very well, does not change his frustration though. They told him they found "slight traces" of the virus, whatever that means. He just called me, they put him in a tiny hotel room. It sucks whichever way you look at it.

• Like 1

Why do the Thaiger print these story's it just spreads false information. Our members do not need to read this rubbish. Let TAT spread there stupid silly predictions on there own websites.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Manu said:

Good luck. I am starting to feel like this requirement will stay forever now...unless Sars-cov 2 simply disapears.

My mate arrived yesterday in Thailand from the Uk with a 2 months tourist visa. Got his test result this morning: positive. Obviously, no symptom, nothing. Obviously he is really p****d off. 10 days quarantine somewhere (does not know where yet) to start his holidays.

Sorry about your friend.. as pointed out by Griff1315 it would be good to keep everyone here updated.. as he has tested positive the insurance should cover the costs as I'm sure if you sit next to someone that tested positive and you test negative then you still get rushed off to quarantine at your own expense..

• Like 3

Can you ask for a second test i have very low confident in well almost everything the thai do so what if it is a false positive they still make you stay in quarentine sounds like a new buisness scam like everything else here 

• Like 6

Now, now people....be kind to TAT....they had to hand the governmennts's one and only calculator to CCSA to work out vaccination stats..... They're doing the best they can with counting on everyone's fingers and toes!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Manu said:

Yeah of course he knew all the risks very well, does not change his frustration though. They told him they found "slight traces" of the virus, whatever that means. He just called me, they put him in a tiny hotel room. It sucks whichever way you look at it.

Well, PCR tests can be done in various ways. You can look at "is the virus present" or you can look at "what is the viral load". Sounds like he had a (semi-) quantitative test with a low viral load result, which is still positive.

Just calling a country "open" means nothing. 

Wonder if any other passengers from the plane will be recalled too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Good luck. I am starting to feel like this requirement will stay forever now...unless Sars-cov 2 simply disapears.

My mate arrived yesterday in Thailand from the Uk with a 2 months tourist visa. Got his test result this morning: positive. Obviously, no symptom, nothing. Obviously he is really p****d off. 10 days quarantine somewhere (does not know where yet) to start his holidays.

Can you ask him to tell you and then let everyone know the outcomes - we hear things but there are never any outcomes after his enforced quarantine period is over.   My two biggies are:  How much did it all cost him all up?  And - Has his insurance company agreed to cover all of those costs?

24 minutes ago, Prosaap said:

Can you ask for a second test i have very low confident in well almost everything the thai do so what if it is a false positive they still make you stay in quarentine sounds like a new buisness scam like everything else here 

No you cannot.  Richard Barrow reported about one bloke (pictures and details) and the hotel refused to allow a second test - quoted the rules and that he must now go to 'special' hospital for 10-14 days.  The hospital also refused to re-test and showed him a bill estimate of 300K Baht which he had to agree to - no choice anyway. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Manu said:

If he's frustrated and upset imagine how it feels for the people who sat near him on the plane... Even if they were really careful and tested negative they still get locked up, lose their holidays, and may have to pay extra as well. That's a show stopper for any ordinary tourists booking holidays at the moment. The Thai authorities don't like to let people know about that part of their rules, but I suspect it may be one of the main reasons travel companies here don't try to sell holidays to Thailand at the moment...

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Sad situation, though I'm sure he knew the risk and took an informed decision. Hope he tests negative soon, but be prepared that some will take up to 21 days to clear. At least his trip is long enough to still enjoy after quarantine.

Exactly right - anyone coming here for a short 2-3 weeks holiday is risking a lot of trouble and expense - especially if they travel with their partner and kids.

The unknown issue that cannot be controlled or managed is where did he catch it.  Back in country after testing negative?  In transport to airport? At the home airport? On the plane? At the Thailand airport? In the transport from Thailand airport to the hotel? 

And of course - was it a false positive?  If a false positive can happen to John Rahm during a golf tournament inside his millionaire's bubble with the world's best medical staff and equipment, then a false positive can happen to anyone anywhere - especially Thailand. 

The government know, that tourist numbers are not going to improve anytime soon, with the current process for entry. I believe that this serves there needs at the moment.

They have a stated aim to have 75% of the population to be vaccinated. They are nowhere near this figure. It is even worse, when you factor in, those who have had Sinovac and as such have little or no protection against the Delta variant, and will therefore, require a booster of some description.

I believe, that when they hit their 75% figure with vaccines which are credible, we will see these restrictions lifted or scrapped. I believe that this will happen the second half of 2022. This also ties in with the foreign airlines, who handed back 80% of their slots for the six main airports operated by AoT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Sorry to hear the news. That of course is the single biggest risk in any travel where a test is required on arrival. I know many people now who have had covid; the vast majority of which recover. The recovery ranges from 7-21 days in terms of returning a negative PCR test. Being fully vaccinated I’m sure he will be perfectly fine, though could feel rough for a few days.

One of my friends who got it tested positive on a Monday and was perfectly fine. By Wednesday feeling like a bit of a cold. By Thursday he took to his bed and I quote “feel like shit and wouldn’t wish this on anyone”. By Saturday he was up and about but had laboured breathing which lasted to Tuesday and by Saturday he tested negative and back at work on the Monday. So it took 2 weeks from test to all clear. He was double vaccinated, aged 50 and fit and healthy I should add. Hopefully your friend will be asymptomatic and test clear in a few days 👍🏻

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Sorry about your friend.. as pointed out by Griff1315 it would be good to keep everyone here updated.. as he has tested positive the insurance should cover the costs as I'm sure if you sit next to someone that tested positive and you test negative then you still get rushed off to quarantine at your own expense..

It's quite possible the insurance won't pay even if he tested positive. It depends on the policy wording. If they only cover medical treatment for covid there's nothing for them to pay because he doesn't need any treatment .... BEWARE

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry to hear the news. That of course is the single biggest risk in any travel where a test is required on arrival. I know many people now who have had covid; the vast majority of which recover. The recovery ranges from 7-21 days in terms of returning a negative PCR test. Being fully vaccinated I’m sure he will be perfectly fine, though could feel rough for a few days.

One of my friends who got it tested positive on a Monday and was perfectly fine. By Wednesday feeling like a bit of a cold. By Thursday he took to his bed and I quote “feel like shit and wouldn’t wish this on anyone”. By Saturday he was up and about but had laboured breathing which lasted to Tuesday and by Saturday he tested negative and back at work on the Monday. So it took 2 weeks from test to all clear. He was double vaccinated, aged 50 and fit and healthy I should add. Hopefully your friend will be asymptomatic and test clear in a few days 👍🏻

Covid's still out there even in the UK.  No sense in letting up on restrictions anything soon. You didn't say how or where your friend was exposed.

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Covid's still out there even in the UK.  No sense in letting up on restrictions anything soon. You didn't say how or where your friend was exposed.

The U.K. is full of Covid and especially among 9-20 year olds.

My friend lives in London but he has no firm idea where he contracted it. He had been on the Tube. In taxis and out in a restaurant with friends the previous few days prior to the positive test. Interestingly, despite many negatives about the U.K. track and trace system, he got “pinged” on his phone on Sunday to say he had been in close contact with a positive case. He did an ATK test that day which tested positive and was confirmed by PCR test the following day. 

I should add that virtually all restrictions are now lifted in the U.K. I went out for dinner last night with some people from work and we decided to leave the restaurant after 5-10 mins. The room was packed. People were having to talk loudly to be heard. There was very little ventilation and windows and doors closed. It was a perfect breeding ground for Covid. We left and found another bigger restaurant with outside dinning. See what happens to me in a few days 😂

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 2

der TAT, here's numbers you haven't used yet: 

Duotrigintillion 1 x 10 99
Ten-duotrigintillion (or Googol) 1 x 10 100
Skewer's Number 1 x 10 130
Centillion 1 x 10 303
Googolplex 1 x 10 10 100
Skewes' Number  

• Haha 1

After all predictions were wrong from TAT and absolute nonsense these Clowns not stop. They must think out there are only Clowns. Outside of Thailand they would long time ago already called the ambulance and lock them in the psycho units forever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Now, now people....be kind to TAT....they had to hand the governmennts's one and only calculator to CCSA to work out vaccination stats..... They're doing the best they can with counting on everyone's fingers and toes!!!!!!!

And if you read the anouncements of Thaiairways it seams the counting is also from the TAT.

• Haha 1

You would think they would keep quiet and see how things play out.

Always big expectations of how much tourist money they can extract

maybe Thais believe everything there leaders feed them 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Prosaap said:

welcome to Thailand, lock the door and let out the dogs. need anything just dial 0 for the next 14 days🤣

TAT has no clue what is going on in the rest of world and the financial hardships suffered in every country across the globe. Inflation is hitting people's wallet's harder than ever. 

Gas prices in US going up everyday. Aviation gas going up. Airlines have no choice but to raise ticket prices. Less people fly.

With current stories of Covid popping up at McDonald's and a Gentlemen's club, the covid situation does not appear to be under control? Perhaps the trade off for tourist dollars and the expense of the unlucky getting covid?

18 million is a completely desperate grasp. I would think they would be lucky to get 1 million the entire year 2022. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

TAT has no clue what is going on in the rest of world and the financial hardships suffered in every country across the globe. Inflation is hitting people's wallet's harder than ever. 

Gas prices in US going up everyday. Aviation gas going up. Airlines have no choice but to raise ticket prices. Less people fly.

With current stories of Covid popping up at McDonald's and a Gentlemen's club, the covid situation does not appear to be under control? Perhaps the trade off for tourist dollars and the expense of the unlucky getting covid?

18 million is a completely desperate grasp. I would think they would be lucky to get 1 million the entire year 2022. 

TAT is oblivious to all of the real world - as are most Thai bureaucrats and politicians. There are some in-exile Thai politicians and businessmen living in overseas countries - maybe the country would be better off in the long run if they came back one day and took office - at least they know what is really going on in the world and what the world really thinks about Thailand.  Maybe. Maybe. 

I tend to agree that this aint over by a long shot - more and more bad news is coming out every day.

• Like 1