News Forum - Pattaya tourism quiet until entry and booze rules are eased

Thaiger

According to the acting president of the Chon Buri Tourism Council, Pattaya is still quiet, and 95% of tourists there are Thai since the reopening to international tourists on November 1. Of the 200 to 300 people per day who do come, the majority are not tourists but businesspeople and expats. And many of the tourists who do come end up leaving quickly when they discover that everything is closed and that there is no entertainment or nightlife allowed. The president estimates that, of the 1,000 to 2,000 international tourists the Tourism Authority of Thailand says enter Thailand each day, […]

The story Pattaya tourism quiet until entry and booze rules are eased as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And many of the tourists who do come end up leaving quickly when they discover that everything is closed and that there is no entertainment or nightlife allowed. 

I met 2 English couples who did exactly that, they completed their sandbox and then booked extra tickets to leave as soon as they could, they felt like they had been conned in to coming, at the time of booking there was no alcohol ban, bye the time they had got here the ban was on again, Malta benefited, Thailand lost

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The president estimates that, of the 1,000 to 2,000 international tourists the Tourism Authority of Thailand says enter Thailand each day, […]

Not much of a variation there then .. 

You'd have thought they could be a bit more precise unless of course they are being abit economic with the truth .. Just looking on Y T at " Pattaya today " vid's gives a far clearer picture of what it's really like and they don't match anything TaT  come out with ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

According to the acting president of the Chon Buri Tourism Council, Pattaya is still quiet, and 95% of tourists there are Thai since the reopening to international tourists on November 1. Of the 200 to 300 people per day who do come, the majority are not tourists but businesspeople and expats. And many of the tourists who do come end up leaving quickly when they discover that everything is closed and that there is no entertainment or nightlife allowed. The president estimates that, of the 1,000 to 2,000 international tourists the Tourism Authority of Thailand says enter Thailand each day, […]

The story Pattaya tourism quiet until entry and booze rules are eased as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Personally the lack of bars and entertainment venues are not of significant importance, it is the hopeless bureaucracy  and hurdles regarding visa and Thailand pass that are the major deterrents. I have made multiple efforts to get information from the Thai embassy, both by telephone and email, but I get no response. Without information regarding the time horizon for issue of these documents, it is not possible to reserve flights, accommodation and PCR test on arrival, since these details must be documented on application for both visa and Thailand pass. I just hope to escape the winter, so if Thailand is going to continue with all these hurdles, then I will just find another warm climate and use my money there. For over twenty years I have spent time in Thailand in the winter, since retirement 6 months every year. I hope the Thai government can soon wake up.

• Like 5

well, nothing surprising there, tell us something we don t know :) lol ....... it is not rocket science the new normal will be to live as before with the covid till it disappears ..... let s hope all restrictions will be lifted when thai population will reach more than 80 % of vaccinated peoples....with hope it works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokBen said:

The government is keeping tourists out on purpose.  Loosening restrictions would allow protests to resume and they really don't want that.

You are confusing two different issues.

But that probably suits your agenda.....Go Thaksin...

• Like 1

No worries, everybody will be heading to Phuket and spend Christmas and New Year there since the Thai government kept on getting scared about another major COVID-19 outbreak in any other provinces besides the blue zone area. 

You would think leaders would know that little to no nightlife or even been allowed a drink would deter so many.

Add in the hoops you still have to go through not to mention if you are unlucky enough to sit near to someone on the plane who test positive then it game over and quarantine.

Until much of the above is dropped there will never be any meaningful tourist numbers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pascal said:

well, nothing surprising there, tell us something we don t know :) lol ....... it is not rocket science the new normal will be to live as before with the covid till it disappears ..... let s hope all restrictions will be lifted when thai population will reach more than 80 % of vaccinated peoples....with hope it works

As of now, Thailand vaccination rate at 54% & will reach 70% by Dec 4.

• Like 2

i agree that its looking like thai govt dont want the tourtist. i guess if they destory all the peoples way of makeing a living they wont be  riots and  demanding more freedom. i think most thai people are now seeing this. as they see countries around them open without all those crazy restrictions. happy loy katrong everyone.

• Like 1

That is absolutely the reason I won't be visiting Pattaya next week.. As much as I really want to I'm thinking what's the point if there's nothing to do that interests me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never known such a relaxing and quiet time in LOS and especially in Pattaya. For many of  us here its wonderful. Sorry for those that can't get here to see family, but I don't care a jot about tourists on holiday, as they are mainly a pain in the ass. Sorry for business owners, sure, but many around me are thriving on local custom and a reorientation of the economy  is no bad thing. Selfish; sure, but that's not my problem. Never been a bar person so they can stay closed for me. 

I wonder if this will be a popular post?  😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

This lack of international travellers was all very predictable. They don't seem to be able to understand what people want from a long haul holiday (easy entry and no restrictions) and have this feeling of self importance that is misplaced.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I get tourist visa from 21 October to 19 December . I come back France for Xmas . I ask another tourist visa from 20 January to 19 march and Embassy refused ... It is forbidden to get 2 tourist visa within 5 months .

Does Thailand needs retired tourist or not ? 

59 minutes ago, cap said:

I get tourist visa from 21 October to 19 December . I come back France for Xmas . I ask another tourist visa from 20 January to 19 march and Embassy refused ... It is forbidden to get 2 tourist visa within 5 months .

no

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Nick said:

I've just cancelled my December trip and will rebook after the hoops I have to jump through have been scrapped and the nightlife is back to normal.

people don't live that long

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

People come to Pattaya for the nightlife, period. There is little reason to otherwise. Beaches are better elsewhere. You risk your health going into the water. Tourist attractions are few and second rate. The city is a bit run down and grimy. It’s not where you go to see the real Thailand. It’s a city built by and for fun, nothing wrong with that every country has at least one (Las Vegas comes to mind). The numbers will remain anemic until they reopen the entertainment and start serving alcohol. Until then, we wait or visit somewhere else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cap said:

You have clearly and simply resumed what wrong with the Thais and why the whole industry is going down the drain while I can go to the Dominican Republic without visa, vaccination, vaccine passport, nothing, nada except the PCR test required by the airline Same for the Bahamas and many other Caribbean islands. All amenities are open and the rum is cheap and good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I've just cancelled my December trip and will rebook after the hoops I have to jump through have been scrapped and the nightlife is back to normal.

Do you have an alternate destination? Covid is bad everywhere. 

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

People come to Pattaya for the nightlife, period. There is little reason to otherwise. Beaches are better elsewhere. You risk your health going into the water. Tourist attractions are few and second rate. The city is a bit run down and grimy. It’s not where you go to see the real Thailand. It’s a city built by and for fun, nothing wrong with that every country has at least one (Las Vegas comes to mind). The numbers will remain anemic until they reopen the entertainment and start serving alcohol. Until then, we wait or visit somewhere else. 

Not a good idea to risk your life on a dirty beach.

21 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Not much of a variation there then .. 

You'd have thought they could be a bit more precise unless of course they are being abit economic with the truth .. Just looking on Y T at " Pattaya today " vid's gives a far clearer picture of what it's really like and they don't match anything TaT  come out with ..

My tea leaves are more accurate than TaT.

• Haha 1