News Forum - Olympic Committee gives new guidelines on transgender athletes

Thaiger

Yesterday, the International Olympic Committee rolled out a new framework for transgender athletes who wish to compete. While a few hard rules will be established by the committee, the main purpose of these new guidelines is to outline the committee’s position of acceptance and inclusion when it comes to transgender athletes participating in the Olympic games. The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have. However, the IOC stated that they were not responsible for determining competition criteria for every sport […]

The story Olympic Committee gives new guidelines on transgender athletes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

My general rule on stuff like this is that I hope that our societies and cultures are large enough to accommodate everyone. That said, I can't even pretend that I understand it all. Or, even a little; its just weird.

"The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have."

I'm sorry, but this simply doesn't work as there are physical advantages that men have over women in general strength, and not everything can be waived off as a 'personal choice'. If you have a weightlifting competition and the class is 150Kgs and over, a man will win over a woman every time no matter how 'sensitive' the IOC wants to be.

With respect to all, why not have a category for men where you need to demonstrate that you have a penis, and a category for women where you need to demonstrate that you don't have a penis.

Radical notion, perhaps, but is there a better idea?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have

Worlds gone effin mad!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck to marginalised LGBTQ athletes at the upcoming Winter Olympics. 

Their courage to overcome adversity and compete at the highest level is inspirational.

Edited by Rip255
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Yesterday, the International Olympic Committee rolled out a new framework for transgender athletes who wish to compete. While a few hard rules will be established by the committee, the main purpose of these new guidelines is to outline the committee’s position of acceptance and inclusion when it comes to transgender athletes participating in the Olympic games. The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have. However, the IOC stated that they were not responsible for determining competition criteria for every sport […]

The story Olympic Committee gives new guidelines on transgender athletes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

GD liberals are ruining sports!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Best of luck to marginalised LGBTQ athletes at the upcoming Winter Olympics.

You can call a duck a chicken but that does not make it a chicken.  If someone feels compelled to identify as a member of the opposite sex that is their business.  However in fairness to women born as a female, allowing transgender males to compete as female is hardly in the spirit of the Olympics where everyone should be competing against a fair and level group of competitors. 

It is already forbidden to use steroids to bulk up and increase muscle mass.  It is considered unfair to pack your blood with extra oxygen to give an athlete extra stamina.  
The idea that a person born a man whose body has male attributes enhanced by natural testosterone can cut off their penis and then legally compete against a person born genetically as a female is a travesty. 

First it will ruin women's sports.  Second, discriminating against biologically born women is hardly in the spirit of equality for all.  Transgenders should be allowed to compete, based not on their "self identification" but by their DNA.  If they were born a biological male at birth, that is who they should be competing against.  

So if I "identify" as a handicapped person can I then compete in the Special Olympics.  If I am a 25 year old male but identify as a senior citizen can I then compete against the 55 year olds?  Where does this madness stop? 

• Like 10

Maybe they should consider allowing  separate  divisions for transgender athletes.

Women are already separated from men in most sports. So  maybe a couple more divisions for the transgender. 

• Like 4

Simple rule would be men compete against men, women compete against women, transgender compete against transgender. 

Exceptions would be same.  Curling has mixed doubles, Skating mixed doubles (remember Blades of Glory) LOL

Summer you have equestrian and sailing 

Easy peasy

Peace

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Agudbuk said:

Maybe they should consider allowing  separate  divisions for transgender athletes.

Women are already separated from men in most sports. So  maybe a couple more divisions for the transgender. 

you beat me to it while I was typing 555 .   

May need 2 more divisions though:  women to men trans, and men to women trans  555

Edited by ExpatPattaya
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

May need 2 more divisions though:  women to men trans, and men to women trans  555

Or have the Olympics, Winter Olympics and Trans Olympics. Eventually we could have one every month!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

Their courage to overcome adversity and compete at the highest level is inspirational.

Nah it's  pathetic, what next one legged  race for people with 2  legs,  how  dare they just ignore them just cuz  they  have 2  legs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, longwood50 said:

You can call a duck a chicken but that does not make it a chicken.  If someone feels compelled to identify as a member of the opposite sex that is their business.  However in fairness to women born as a female, allowing transgender males to compete as female is hardly in the spirit of the Olympics where everyone should be competing against a fair and level group of competitors. 

It is already forbidden to use steroids to bulk up and increase muscle mass.  It is considered unfair to pack your blood with extra oxygen to give an athlete extra stamina.  
The idea that a person born a man whose body has male attributes enhanced by natural testosterone can cut off their penis and then legally compete against a person born genetically as a female is a travesty. 

First it will ruin women's sports.  Second, discriminating against biologically born women is hardly in the spirit of equality for all.  Transgenders should be allowed to compete, based not on their "self identification" but by their DNA.  If they were born a biological male at birth, that is who they should be competing against.  

So if I "identify" as a handicapped person can I then compete in the Special Olympics.  If I am a 25 year old male but identify as a senior citizen can I then compete against the 55 year olds?  Where does this madness stop? 

Don't get carried away - no need to cut anything off, all you have to do is say who you want to compete against.

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Don't get carried away - no need to cut anything off, all you have to do is say who you want to compete against.

Dead  people

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Just let those 2 groups compete against each other 

Let them have anything they want but competing against normal gender people of the real born unchanged sex is a big fat no. This is totally getting out of hand. Equality fine, even give them their own country, but it is more against equality and fairness for normal born girls and so they need to just suck it up and be a good little trans and play as the way they were born or with themselves (literally and physically). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may also notice that this only ever goes one direction. The number of trans men (female sex at birth, transitioned to male) competing against men is within single digits, at least on the world stage and in sports which have any media presence.
However, trans women (male at birth, transitioned to female) competing against women is something you can expect to see more and more often, and have already seen quite often, which is why there is even a conversation about it.

Nobody cares when trans men compete against men, because trans men never (ever) dominate in their sport. Men do not complain that they're competing against trans men, because trans men are biologically at a disadvantage when competing against men in the same demographic.

The argument being presented by all groups and individuals advocating for trans women to be removed from womens' divisions and categories, is that trans women tend (emphasis on tend because it's not absolute) to dominate their sport. This has been demonstrated time and time again when it's been allowed to occur. Biological males, identifying as females, competing against biological females, have a scientific, biological advantage physically. This is a fact that an opinion cannot change.

The problem is that it's incredibly unfair to biological women and there is literally nothing they can do to even the playing field. If you're already in peak physical condition and you're the best in your sport, and a biological man comes along and outperforms you because your league didn't want "her" to "feel bad", I can't say I would be very happy about it either.
I fully agree that there should be a trans category and they can compete against each other, much the same as any other gender. The problem there is that if we start segregating athletes based on immutable characteristics of each individual, we're tip-toeing into dangerous discriminatory waters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Well let's do away with the Olympics as we know it if it is going down that road. Let's dream up another title

The Effin Freak Olympics!

8 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

My general rule on stuff like this is that I hope that our societies and cultures are large enough to accommodate everyone. That said, I can't even pretend that I understand it all. Or, even a little; its just weird.

"The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have."

I'm sorry, but this simply doesn't work as there are physical advantages that men have over women in general strength, and not everything can be waived off as a 'personal choice'. If you have a weightlifting competition and the class is 150Kgs and over, a man will win over a woman every time no matter how 'sensitive' the IOC wants to be.

With respect to all, why not have a category for men where you need to demonstrate that you have a penis, and a category for women where you need to demonstrate that you don't have a penis.

Radical notion, perhaps, but is there a better idea?

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The main takeaway from this new framework is that athletes cannot be denied access to competition because of any physical advantages that they may be considered to have. 

I am not sure if I ever understood the Caster Semenya story properly, but this what I think it was. 

Semenya was a black S. African Athlete and multiple gold medallist at distances from 400-1500m. Looking at her, she could easily be mistaken for a man. This is apparently due to the fact that she produces freakish amounts of testosterone. Lengthy suspicions and even lengthier enquiries were made about her, and now she has been declared undoubtedly, a woman.

However, contrary to the text at the start of this post, the IAAF have ruled that she cannot compete against other women unless she takes meds to suppress her excess male hormone production. So though this would clear the way for her to compete against other women in the Olympics, she could not take part in the IAAF events where the big money is.

I am not criticising the IOC, but it does occur to me that if the IAAF were running the Olympics, they would probably have a height limit of 6ft for basketball, to stop the 6 ft 10 in players from using the physical advantages that natural their height gives them. Hmmm?

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

The decision should be up to the athletes in any discipline. Hard to see extremely fit athletes competing in their biological gender get beaten by someone who is transgender and has the advantage of hormones from their biological gender. I think it is unfair. I do not like watching those races. 

What ever happened to the “Just say No” campaign? I say female Olympic athletes should adopt this slogan and boycott individual events by simply refusing to compete against men that identify as women. Line up at the starter blocks or whatever and let the trans perform by themselves. No subservient, politically correct apologies or gently gently justifications required. “Nope, not doing it”

A small minority want things changed to the way they want it and that’s not fair to everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I am a motorcyclist who identifies as a cyclist, I will enter the Tour De France and ride a Ducati. 

I bet I win🤣  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3