News Forum - Thai flights up 25%, experts suggest travel bubbles, cheaper Covid tests

Thaiger

Thailand’s reopening isn’t just a boost for Thai tourism businesses; it also provided a ray of hope in Asia for the battered airline industry as the first reopening in the region. The Executive Chairman of Thai AirAsia’s largest shareholder, Asia Aviation, says this sets the tone for flights, the tourism economy, and businesses in the country. Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, the biggest hub in Thailand by far, has received requests from 60 airlines this month for 2,008 international commercial flights to land there. After the November 1 reopening, Thailand experienced a 25% jump in air traffic compared to last month, […]

The story Thai flights up 25%, experts suggest travel bubbles, cheaper Covid tests as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

While I welcome the thought of things returning to some kind of normal, planes in the air doesn't mean tourists on the ground or business people travelling for business either. Thailand can't convince travellers it's safe until the vaccination levels are much higher. That should be priority number one. That doesn't mean they should stop negotiating quarantine free travel arrangements, but vaccination is still the most pressing need and with that supporting businesses and workers until, things are much closer to normal.

I wonder how many of those flights are freight only flights.

A fair amount of airlines have been using flight numbers normally allocated to passenger flights for high value light weight air cargo flights for a while now.

Test on arrival = no arrival. 

If after 30 days there is no increase in local positive cases, and few positive cases at arrival; it would be "safety theater" to continue to test on arrival. That is the biggest variable. Tourists can plan for the insurance and the pcr test prior. What can not be planned for are the various scenarios that arise due to testing on arrival.

2,000 flights and 30,000 incoming “tourists”. Wow, what a waste. What did Thailand sign up to a COP26? That statistic will be an indication of how serious they are taking things 😂😂. Usual double shuffle on just about everything international. 

the air asia   guy is right on.not going to get large numbers of tourtist until they drop the hotel rip off and cheaper test and cut or drop the insurance  money grab!!plus the thai pass site is a joke! buiness leaders should be the ones looking at when to drop all this crap and really open.not govt flunkies who are still getting a pay check from the very people they are starving. how about the govt leaders put the men and women  of thailand first!!they need jobs and a pay check more than the fat cats in govt jobs.so open the country!drop the crap restrictions.

11 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Hoping i get the whole plane to myself next week---maybe get a whole row to sleep--VIP farang!

Then hope you don't draw a positive test on arrival and are whisked away to Chateau ASQ

13 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Then hope you don't draw a positive test on arrival and are whisked away to Chateau ASQ

seems latest # are 44k arrivals and

16 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Life is risk.....the lesser evil of staying in the states---love it or leave it-----good riddance

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Death n taxes...get busy living or get busy dying..the states is draining the life out of me

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I also think about when I came home from CM in march 2020 and thru 7 airports where NO one in the states was wearing a mask on planes and tested negative as I walked right into the mix.....covid was rife

6 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I also think about when I came home from CM in march 2020 and thru 7 airports where NO one in the states was wearing a mask on planes and tested negative as I walked right into the mix.....covid was rife

I also returned from Thailand in March of 2020, covid was not rife in the US. Mask mandates and shutdown had not happened yet. Unclear as to why you would have tested at that time since it has never been required upon arrival in the United States. I understand that the last year and a half in the US has been challenging. But there are only six states with mask mandates. Thailand is a country under emergency decree that is requiring a test on arrival (US doesn't). Thailand requires that masks be worn at all times, indoor and outside (even while riding on a motorbike). There are no curbs on alcohol sales and operating hours in the United States now. I understand the desire to go back to Thailand. I have the same desire myself. But don't portray it as "more free" than the US when it comes to managing covid at this time. It isn't. 

26 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Not rife in March 2020

Screenshot_20211114-201750_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-201827_Opera.jpg

23 hours ago, Thaiger said:

hailand experienced a 25% jump in air traffic

Maybe I missed it in the article but I noted that they did not include any figures on what was the base the 25% was based on.  I could go from 1 flight to 2 flights and say my flight traffic doubled. 

20 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I also returned from Thailand in March of 2020, covid was not rife in the US. Mask mandates and shutdown had not happened yet. Unclear as to why you would have tested at that time since it has never been required upon arrival in the United States. I understand that the last year and a half in the US has been challenging. But there are only six states with mask mandates. Thailand is a country under emergency decree that is requiring a test on arrival (US doesn't). Thailand requires that masks be worn at all times, indoor and outside (even while riding on a motorbike). There are no curbs on alcohol sales and operating hours in the United States now. I understand the desire to go back to Thailand. I have the same desire myself. But don't portray it as "more free" than the US when it comes to managing covid at this time. It isn't. 

Send me a postcard .....I go the test  as I was feeling sick.....love it or leave it...good riddance Murica

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Not rife in March 2020

Screenshot_20211114-201750_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-201827_Opera.jpg

Thanks for the stats..and your concern....was referring to crossing the planet from thai back to the states thru 6 airports and planes....Ill send ya a postcard from the dark side

20 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Death n taxes...get busy living or get busy dying..the states is draining the life out of me

While things are not as good as they used to be in LOS it is WAY worse in the States.