News Forum - RT-PCR Covid-19 tests still required for international arrivals – CCSA

Thaiger

After talk of whether to replace the mandatory RT-PCR Covid-19 test for international arrivals with the rapid antigen test kit method, the CCSA decided to continue to use RT-PCR tests to screen travellers upon arrival in Thailand. The antigen test kits, or ATKs, will be used for travellers on days 6 and 7, or if they develop coronavirus symptoms, according to deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nopakun Natapanu, who gives the CCSA press briefing in English. He added that the current testing requirements will remain “until further studies are completed.” Those arriving to Thailand under the quarantine […]

The story RT-PCR Covid-19 tests still required for international arrivals – CCSA as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

For both expat residents and tourists, is not so much about the wasted 24 hours only, but it simply is an additional cost factor to pay for an AQ or SHA+ residence including transfer, two expensive PCR tests (one at home, one in Thailand) + 1 ATK and an extra health insurance.

Many people simply are not going to travel under these conditions, and the measures as such have no significant benefit over an antigen quick test. Of course, even fully vaccinated people can get infected with COVID-19, but the probability is way lower than for unvaccinated ones. So the biggest danger is inside the country already, it is not coming from outside.

Another factor scaring away travellers is the incalculable risk to sit near an infected person on the plane and being locked up for 10 or 14 nights despite testing negative.

I am crossing my fingers for the Thai people and their economy, that the government is soon going to relax the immigration requirements to only requiring full vaccination status and no additional spendings and procedures for extra tests, quarantine quarters and insurances. Then I am sure, the foreigners who are so important for the Thai economy are going to return to that beautiful country. 🙂

Edited by kriegaex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Someone higher up the tree is obviously making some serious coin from this overcharged test in Thailand, it will probably become the new normal arrival test even after 2022. 555

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ok...common sense didn't prevail....again. Sorry Thailand, my money is going elsewhere...

Bye then, do stay in touch.

But don't feel too guilty if you don't. 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Bye then, do stay in touch.

But don't feel too guilty if you don't. 🤔

whatever.... frustration talking.... I have good reason to go there, but no pressure.... 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

whatever.... frustration talking.... I have good reason to go there, but no pressure.... 

Good parental advice : If you've got nothing nice to say, say nowt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kriegaex said:

and the measures as such have no significant benefit over an antigen quick test. Of course, even fully vaccinated people can get infected with COVID-19, but the probability is way lower than for unvaccinated

I'm not sure what you based those two suggestions on, @kriegaex, but they're not correct.

PCR tests are generally accepted as considerably more accurate than rapid flow tests, for both false positives as well as false negatives  -  and false positives would mean an expensive move to a hospital pending a PCR test rather than a brief stay in a SHA+  hotel for as little as a few hundred baht -  and while outdated reports from a year or more ago played down the probability of those vaccinated catching the virus, recent studies show that the vaccinated are no less likely to catch and transmit the virus than anyone else.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Someone higher up the tree is obviously making some serious coin from this overcharged test in Thailand, it will probably become the new normal arrival test even after 2022. 555

I don't know what the cost of PCR tests on arrival are (anybody ?), but they're now 1,800 -1,900 privately locally which seems on a par or less than in most countries.

These tests etc,  are here to stay, until at least 70%+ of the Thai population are fully vaccinated. We'll know when we're at that point, as I believe the government will drop all these draconian regulations and immigration requirements. We'll end up with Proof of negative test, proof if being fully vaccinated, and visa on arrival. But not until they hit that 70%+ target. I've said it all before. 

I think we'll be somewhere near October/November 2022. Hope it's sooner.

1 hour ago, BIGGLES said:

These tests etc,  are here to stay, until at least 70%+ of the Thai population are fully vaccinated. We'll know when we're at that point, as I believe the government will drop all these draconian regulations and immigration requirements. We'll end up with Proof of negative test, proof if being fully vaccinated, and visa on arrival. But not until they hit that 70%+ target. I've said it all before. 

I think we'll be somewhere near October/November 2022. Hope it's sooner.

Why so long? They are already claiming to be at nearly 50% fully vaccinated and ramping up

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Good parental advice : If you've got nothing nice to say, say nowt.

Wow. That gets the most hypocritical comment of the day. 

• Like 5

"In Seattle (which publishes detailed data), the daily Covid hospitalization rate for vaccinated people has been slightly above one in one million."

I will NOT return to Thailand until the insurance & hotel nonsense are discarded.  They are not based on science but current government stupidity and greed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kriegaex said:

"Another factor scaring away travellers is the incalculable risk to sit near an infected person on the plane and being locked up for 10 or 14 nights despite testing negative."

Everyone on the plane just tested negative for covid.  Even if the person is infected with covid (far less likely than someone not on the plane), the person has been VACCINATED — so any viral load is going to be minimal.    There's more risk that the plane will crash, than contract covid from person sitting next to you.  LMAO, thanks for keep the fears alive tho, your wisdom, and those of your ilk, should keep the pandemic insanity going on for years to come.

8 hours ago, kriegaex said:

41 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

Yes this forum doesn’t need parents 😉

It's a controlled platform... currently less aggressively than some other forum platforms. 

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

I'm not sure what you based those two suggestions on, @kriegaex, but they're not correct.

PCR tests are generally accepted as considerably more accurate than rapid flow tests, for both false positives as well as false negatives  -  and false positives would mean an expensive move to a hospital pending a PCR test rather than a brief stay in a SHA+  hotel for as little as a few hundred baht -  and while outdated reports from a year or more ago played down the probability of those vaccinated catching the virus, recent studies show that the vaccinated are no less likely to catch and transmit the virus than anyone else.

You should check my answer to Greeneyes a little further down.

5 hours ago, kmc said:

Everyone on the plane just tested negative for covid.  Even if the person is infected with covid (far less likely than someone not on the plane), the person has been VACCINATED — so any viral load is going to be minimal.    There's more risk that the plane will crash, than contract covid from person sitting next to you.  LMAO, thanks for keep the fears alive tho, your wisdom, and those of your ilk, should keep the pandemic insanity going on for years to come.

Yeah, everyone on the plane tested negative for covid (unless there happens to be any returning Thai Nationals on board, who don't at present require a negative PCR test). But if you do happen to be sat next to one of the 1 in 500-1000 people testing positive on arrival, it hardly matters what their viral load is, as you are headed to Hotel Quarantine in any case. There's more risk that the plane will crash?....entirely possible, since the numbers involved are not being released, the risk is indeed incalculable.

5 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Yeah, everyone on the plane tested negative for covid (unless there happens to be any returning Thai Nationals on board, who don't at present require a negative PCR test). But if you do happen to be sat next to one of the 1 in 500-1000 people testing positive on arrival, it hardly matters what their viral load is, as you are headed to Hotel Quarantine in any case. There's more risk that the plane will crash?....entirely possible, since the numbers involved are not being released, the risk is indeed incalculable.

Im flying in next week and theres plenty of talk about the folks being pulled for someone sitting next to them

Wonder IF someone sat close to me,  BUT if MY test came in negative B4 that + persons test I would hope I could escape from my AQ hotel before they "pulled" me and try to throw me in a hospital for 10-14 days....

• Like 1