News Forum - BREAKING: Reopening of bars and nightclubs pushed to mid-January 2022

Thaiger

9 hours ago, Paco said:

Government doing stupid again is because they are stupid and koekoe...  I think with all their statements and plans that always fall apart, governments does not have the balls to open the entertainment, because they do not have the brains to even do anything right ... government like always you slowly , dumb and disgusting, rest of the world is drinking one on this one.... and that is why they not coming to  thailand because clowns are running it that you can not trust  on their word ever...  the entire government  disgust me, greed, stupidly and no brains

That's true, The PM, TAT, MOPH & CCSA are in a panicked mode right now due to the fact that another major outbreak of COVID-19 coming up for the 5th time. I am sure that they will keep extending the bars and entertainment venues shutdown over and over again for the next 5 years starting right now. 

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I get your point about the people booking for Christmas and New Year. But you really do have to question your decision making skills if you decided to fly to Thailand with all that’s going on and not checking first

I would guess many tourists would not be familiar with Thai government culture of decision making and would take 'we are open for tourists' at face value.

Given many bars/entertainment venues are actually owned by government people, e.g. police, it is somewhat surprising to me they are being targeted by government.

11 hours ago, gummy said:

Looks like if Thais want a good piss-up for Xmas and New Year Bavaria is their favoured location, cos sure as hell Thailand isn't. 😉

When my Thai stepson visits Pattaya he goes to some upmarket drinking venues, which I assume are "protected", Thai only, which farangs / tourists have no knowledge; I'm sure the same applies to other areas in Thailand.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PBS said:

would guess many tourists would not be familiar with Thai government culture of decision making and would take 'we are open for tourists' at face value.

That’s exactly the problem. It’s not just tourists who are not familiar. It’s investors, foreign currency exchange people. banks, the UN and most Western nations. They simply don’t know the way they operate in Thailand and believe any old BS they peddle. It’s only when there is literally no hiding place that the truth comes out. You can wait until hell freezes over waiting for the truth to be announced by the Thai government. Not just this military governments, ALL Thai governments going back hundreds of years it’s just how life is in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

Alcohol sales at restaurants is now only allowed in areas classified as “blue zones” including Bangkok and Phuket.

Firstly... one has to explain to me why having a drink with a meal is safer in BKK or Phuket than...well anywhere else.

Secondly... I was in Phuket for 7 day sandbox in October, I was able to have a beer (not a cup of tea) in my hotel bar/restaurant on the main road where anyone can stop for one, all restaurants I have been were serving beers.

Thirdly... although I knew about it, I had to see it for myself. Yeap many bars open in Patong in October, some packed, live music, party... Two of my friends were there in September, it was already like that. As far as I know, I have not heard of an increase of people dying from covid in Phuket related to this. So somehow opening bars for tourists could be done, or at least having a drink in restaurants...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kmc said:

Well sir...you can drink.  But you might end up in jail for doing such.  Major risk.

Booked for a holiday in the Pattaya Hilton but ended up in Bangkok Hilton because thought holidays are for enjoying. Wow what a scam for the tourist who booked for the christmas and new years eve. If they are clever they go to the courts in their homecountries for refund and also a lesson for the never ending scams.

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Firstly... one has to explain to me why having a drink with a meal is safer in BKK or Phuket than...well anywhere else.

Secondly... I was in Phuket for 7 day sandbox in October, I was able to have a beer (not a cup of tea) in my hotel bar/restaurant on the main road where anyone can stop for one, all restaurants I have been were serving beers.

Thirdly... although I knew about it, I had to see it for myself. Yeap many bars open in Patong in October, some packed, live music, party... Two of my friends were there in September, it was already like that. As far as I know, I have not heard of an increase of people dying from covid in Phuket related to this. So somehow opening bars for tourists could be done, or at least having a drink in restaurants...

Sure you can have a beer but in risk if there is a raid you will sleep in a overcrowded jail.

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Sure you can have a beer but in risk if there is a raid you will sleep in a overcrowded jail.

I guess this must be the new sandbox Bangkok Hilton program from the TAT.

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The long-awaited reopening of bars and nightlife venues has been pushed to January 15, 2022.  The CCSA held a general meeting chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha today and decided to push back the reopening date for entertainment venues. Alcohol sales at restaurants is now only allowed in areas classified as “blue zones” including Bangkok, and Phuket. This is a developing story and will be updated.

I guess their tourism research must have shown that those wealthy foreign tourists must prefer to visit Thailand when the bars are closed and they can get a drink only within prescribed hours in the blue zones. 

• Haha 2

I don't get it. The way they treat bars is ridiculous if you look at the tourist spots now.

I went to the grand palace for the first time ever today, and I came overprepared. Nothing was checked. I showed my vaccine certificate on Mor Phrom and they laughed at me, saying it's not necessary. So apparently the virus won't spread there I guess. 

But I guess if I didn't bring anything they would have asked me for it. That's how it works here😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

I don't get it. The way they treat bars is ridiculous if you look at the tourist spots now.

I went to the grand palace for the first time ever today, and I came overprepared. Nothing was checked. I showed my vaccine certificate on Mor Phrom and they laughed at me, saying it's not necessary. So apparently the virus won't spread there I guess. 

But I guess if I didn't bring anything they would have asked me for it. That's how it works here😂

Yep....right on all counts.

Life goes on...................... don't sweat it - or worse, try and rationalise it!

Well it's clear that the virus hunts at night and these are the reasons for the late night curfews and the virus also prefers to target and attack anyone with alcohol in their system so this all makes sense.  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/13/2021 at 5:45 AM, PBS said:

I would guess many tourists would not be familiar with Thai government culture of decision making and would take 'we are open for tourists' at face value.

Given many bars/entertainment venues are actually owned by government people, e.g. police, it is somewhat surprising to me they are being targeted by government.

If owned by police or military types, no problem with folding, or is it the problem is with foreign owned places going broke. I don't see the military/police types making a fuss, so I doubt the truth in your claim.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 6:31 AM, ace035 said:

That's true, The PM, TAT, MOPH & CCSA are in a panicked mode right now due to the fact that another major outbreak of COVID-19 coming up for the 5th time. I am sure that they will keep extending the bars and entertainment venues shutdown over and over again for the next 5 years starting right now. 

Not an optimist then?

On 11/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, Soidog said:

I get your point about the people booking for Christmas and New Year. But you really do have to question your decision making skills if you decided to fly to Thailand with all that’s going on and not checking first.   

Absolutely - how can anyone go to the trouble and expense of booking and arranging a holiday in Thailand without first checking what the restrictions are (masks, bars, etc)?

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, gummy said:

Looks like if Thais want a good piss-up for Xmas and New Year Bavaria is their favoured location, cos sure as hell Thailand isn't. 😉

The "Thais" you know must be from a  rather narrow and particularly strange group if the only place they can have "a good piss-up for Xmas and the New Year" is in a bar rather than with their friends and family  -  particularly if they're going to Germany for it 😂!

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

The "Thais" you know must be from a  rather narrow and particularly strange group if the only place they can have "a good piss-up for Xmas and the New Year" is in a bar rather than with their friends and family  -  particularly if they're going to Germany for it 😂!

Perhaps you should read the post again.

18 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Absolutely - how can anyone go to the trouble and expense of booking and arranging a holiday in Thailand without first checking what the restrictions are (masks, bars, etc)?

Exactly, why come if you are only interested in bars and bar girls. Not a good use of your holiday, if you are only interested in such. However,  if you have other interests you'll be very happy to come. 

It seems like now is the time to come and enjoy.

5 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Exactly, why come if you are only interested in bars and bar girls. Not a good use of your holiday, if you are only interested in such. However,  if you have other interests you'll be very happy to come. 

It seems like now is the time to come and enjoy.

Phuket has got good attractions, beaches,elephant sanctuaries, temple's, bars and bar girls.. suits everyone then 

Oh and glass walkways on the way!

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, Manu said:

As far as I know, I have not heard of an increase of people dying from covid in Phuket related to this

I agree with what you're saying, @Manu, but it's hard to isolate where people are catching Covid and I'd suggest it's hardly under control any more in Phuket than in many other places in Thailand despite the vaccinations and restrictions so doesn't it make sense to apply the rules until it is, and to apply them across the country unless there are travel restrictions both ways?

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Exactly, why come if you are only interested in bars and bar girls. Not a good use of your holiday, if you are only interested in such.

I'm sure that if that's what people want it's not hard to find!

• Like 2