News Forum - BREAKING: Reopening of bars and nightclubs pushed to mid-January 2022

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, Sawarot said:

And just to answer your question about who wants to holiday in a place where the overwhelming majority of tourists are fat, shirtless, smelly drunks.

Me. I want to. I am not fat, am rarely shirtless, smell OK and drink very little. I will be extremely attractive compared to the other men there. And if you mean that the female tourists are fat, shirtless and smelly drunks... I'm OK with that too, even if it's not my favourite. 

He must have been in some right places to form that opinion, I've lived over 20 years I dont think I have ever been in a place like that, I like a beer or two every day I shower twice a day shave every day and smell nice, so the girls in the bar say,

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

A lot of us loathe alcohol and the massive negative impact it has on society. Who wants to holiday in a place where the overwhelming majority of tourists are fat, shirtless, smelly drunks. 

I live in Pattaya and welcome the move to banish the barflys.

Better to shed its reputation as a place for drunks and hookers and instead target foreigners that have money to spend on less deviant pastimes like sightseeing, shopping and fine dining.  

"A lot of us loathe alcohol and the massive negative impact it has on society. Who wants to holiday in a place where the overwhelming majority of tourists are fat, shirtless, smelly drunks."

why did you chose to live there in the first place ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

The last round of no booze and bars closed I met 2 English couples here in Phuket who felt they had been conned into coming as it was advertised apart from sandbox the bars could open could have a few beers legally, in between time every thing got closed down again almost overnight, 

They changed their flights and go back to the UK early and went to Malta, apart from being stupid it is also boring they said,

Understatement of the millennium.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

"A lot of us loathe alcohol and the massive negative impact it has on society. Who wants to holiday in a place where the overwhelming majority of tourists are fat, shirtless, smelly drunks."

why did you chose to live there in the first place ?

If given the choice of preferred tourist between a courteous Japanese family who buys designer fashion, enjoys fine dining and spends their days embracing all that the country has to offer...

Or a shirtless barfly whose day consists of drinking 18 singhas and soliciting past-their-prime prostitutes

I know which segment of the tourism market I'd be targetting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

If given the choice of preferred tourist between a courteous Japanese family who buys designer fashion, enjoys fine dining and spends their days embracing all that the country has to offer...

Or a shirtless barfly whose day consists of drinking 18 singhas and soliciting past-their-prime prostitutes

My question was why did you chose to live there?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I said a while ago the government want to get rid of the bars they are doing a good job so far 

I think it's more the bars which are really brothels and sleaze pits rather than plain bars

This totally screws up the high season. Even more now, tourists want to get wasted and party post-COVID because of quarantines, no night clubs and no festivals for almost two years! They won't be flying to Thailand for Christmas or New Year!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Assuming of course Pattaya has designer fashion, fine dining, and sightseeing, unfortunately it doesn't.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

A lot of us loathe alcohol and the massive negative impact it has on society. Who wants to holiday in a place where the overwhelming majority of tourists are fat, shirtless, smelly drunks. 

You must be looking for those places, to be such an expert.
I rarely go to Pattaya, last time must be something like 8 or 9 years ago, and the only place for good dining was a Swiss from Korean descent (Casa Pascal) near the Marriot. I wonder where you find other fine dining in Pattaya

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

Better to shed its reputation as a place for drunks and hookers and instead target foreigners that have money to spend on less deviant pastimes like sightseeing, shopping and fine dining.  

Seems like you should consider relocating to Saudi

35 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

I prefer Chang.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbyvh6EdrX0rqn2jlFyoxhgElbM8sFqOXdlw&usqp=CAU

• Haha 2

This as been a disaster. Millions of people earn livings because of the Bar entertainment industries. In addition the girls send money to the provinces. The decision makers in Bangkok haven't incurred a one baht loss. Why haven't they contributed 1/2 of their salaries to people who are suffering?

• Like 3

This is the clearest demonstration yet that the authorise know the real situation in Thailand. The official numbers are just official nonsense.  

Schools in Khon Kaen that closed last week for one week are now closed until December 1st. Why? Because they are worried about general case numbers in the province. Well if you look at the official figures you shouldn’t be worried.

The same is being illustrated here. If case numbers were as low as they are. Claiming today of 7,300 and 51 deaths then you would crack on and open. They know that is simply not the real picture and being forced to admit it and maintain restrictions. 

Whatever is really going on, this is the right decisions. I would also add that I’m not holding my breath that Jan 15th will be the time they will open. Vaccination rates by then will be far higher and so it’s possible, but not guaranteed. Why 15th Jan? Nothing big happening then. May as  well go for Feb 1st, although April 1st would seem more appropriate 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Provinces that are barely double digit new cases are still classified as red and not allowed to serve alcohol in restaurants but as long as the hiso's and politicians in Bangkok can have their drinks it's ok. When are the bar and club owners going to grow a set of balls and rebell 

I agree with what you are saying @MikeW  But are they barely at double digit? They are reported as such, but we hear daily stories of whole villages being locked down, schools being closed. “Clusters” in markets and factories. The official figures are not a true reflection of what is going on. 

Your main point however is spot on. The same under reporting will be taking place in Bangkok, so why are they allowed to serve alcohol in restaurants?  For the reasons you state 👍🏻

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Another holier then thou do gooder 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

But that Japanese man and woman might like a glass of wine or saki with their meal 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Why do you live in Pattaya then. I can only assume you were born there?

I’ve been to Pattaya many times and I don’t recognise your description. I see the odd shirtless drunk walking around, but I also see that out in the Thai villages in Issan also. So either you live in a rough Soi with hotels charging $5 a night, or you are just making false claims. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bemused said:

What more can be said about this bunch of so called politicians?

Feel for the people employed in these places and the owners.

If they think the Chinese and Indians will fill the void they will be sadly disappointed.

I’ve heard they are trying to attract a new market now.  Saudis and Afghanis. They won’t mind having no alcohol. 

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Fishoil said:

This as been a disaster. Millions of people earn livings because of the Bar entertainment industries. In addition the girls send money to the provinces. The decision makers in Bangkok haven't incurred a one baht loss. Why haven't they contributed 1/2 of their salaries to people who are suffering?

The problem is mate. They don’t see the girls and the families they send money to as humans. Certainly not the same kind of human as they are. 

• Like 2

Just now, Soidog said:

The problem is mate. They don’t see the girls and the families they send money to as humans. Certainly not the same kind of human as they are. 

Unfortunately the culture of Thailand is such that the Elite believe they have the right to treat most of the nation as mere disposable playthings . Lets hope one day the tables can be turned

1 hour ago, Rip255 said:

Only problem with that is that it’s Pattaya. It’s not Bora Bora, Lake Como, Aspen or Necker Island. It’s Soi 6,7,8 etc. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

Unfortunately the culture of Thailand is such that the Elite believe they have the right to treat most of the nation as mere disposable playthings . Lets hope one day the tables can be turned

Viva le revolution!! Until you realise that you too can be revolted upon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’ve heard they are trying to attract a new market now.  Saudis and Afghanis. They won’t mind having no alcohol. 

If London is any indication, many Saudi's love drinking away from home.

IMO after boasting Thailand is reopened for tourism, many people would have booked for Xmas / New Year holidays in the sun, closing bars and so on for the period, at this late stage, will do a fair amount of reputational harm for Thailand as a tourist destination.

• Like 7