News Forum - Road safety campaign aimed at Thailand’s motorbike riders

Thaiger

12 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Regarding organ donation in Thailand:
In that case, everyone in Thailand would be guilty. I've tried and and failed. The Thai government do not have any sort of organ donor scheme.

One nurse I spoke to about it said that apart from not having a scheme, she could imagine reluctance of some Thais to accept organs donated by foreigners. She sounded pragmatic about it, not racist, while still blaming the Thai government for not being interested in running a scheme.

Further OT. I want to donate my body to allow medical students to practice on it, for example. It's no use to me when I'm dead, someone else might as well use it.
Nope, the only university I found who would accept it is over 100km away. They won't collect the body, my relatives have to take it there themselves.
It's like pushing string uphill , trying to be helpful here.

@Bluesofa I would be quite cut up about that idea

6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Regarding organ donation in Thailand:
In that case, everyone in Thailand would be guilty. I've tried and and failed. The Thai government do not have any sort of organ donor scheme.

One nurse I spoke to about it said that apart from not having a scheme, she could imagine reluctance of some Thais to accept organs donated by foreigners. She sounded pragmatic about it, not racist, while still blaming the Thai government for not being interested in running a scheme.

Further OT. I want to donate my body to allow medical students to practice on it, for example. It's no use to me when I'm dead, someone else might as well use it.
Nope, the only university I found who would accept it is over 100km away. They won't collect the body, my relatives have to take it there themselves.
It's like pushing string uphill , trying to be helpful here.

I considered donating my corpse for medical research in to Trinity College Medical school. What changed my mind is that after three years the return they corpse to the family for the burial of the remains. 

In the UK, I've had both a Father and a Brother's funeral delayed due to bureaucracy (seven weeks in the case of my brother). All the delay just adds to the grieving process, and personally, I find the grief worst when you are waiting to put them in the ground. Do I really want to delay other's grief for 3 years out of an act of altruism?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

If you were a dead battery then you'd be free of charge sort of thing .. 

Blimey they'd better get there skates then or pack you in ice .. 

I'm no ice skater.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I considered donating my corpse for medical research in to Trinity College Medical school. What changed my mind is that after three years the return they corpse to the family for the burial of the remains. 

In the UK, I've had both a Father and a Brother's funeral delayed due to bureaucracy (seven weeks in the case of my brother). All the delay just adds to the grieving process, and personally, I find the grief worst when you are waiting to put them in the ground. Do I really want to delay other's grief for 3 years out of an act of altruism?

Initially I thought it just seemed rather odd.
However, there are probably some relatives who want the bits back. It would be better when organising the  donation if you could choose between the remains being returned later, or for the medical school to dispose of it themselves.
They're the ones benefiting from the use of the body, so being able to choose what happens after that seems reasonable it me.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, King Cotton said:
14 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm no ice skater.

Not yet, Boyo . . . not yet!

Would it end up as a holiday on ice?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm no ice skater.

Good idea .. spend too much time on yer' 'arris on ice will give you Polaroids .. 

And reincarnation is back in Thailand so what you coming back as .?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Initially I thought it just seemed rather odd.
However, there are probably some relatives who want the bits back. It would be better when organising the  donation if you could choose between the remains being returned later, or for the medical school to dispose of it themselves.
They're the ones benefiting from the use of the body, so being able to choose what happens after that seems reasonable it me.

Reasonable to you,  @Bluesofa? . . . of corpse it is.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Good idea .. spend too much time on yer' 'arris on ice will give you Polaroids .. 

And reincarnation is back in Thailand so what you coming back as .?

We'll have to see what develops.

• Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

We'll have to see what develops.

Toptip .. don't come back as a fly or you'll have to eat dogs eggs and avoid rolled up newspapers travelling at great velocity trying to splatter you .. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

. . . travelling at great velocity trying to splatter you .. 

Cleverly bringing us back on-topic, there . . . cool 😅!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Toptip .. don't come back as a fly or you'll have to eat dogs eggs and avoid rolled up newspapers travelling at great velocity trying to splatter you .. 

Unless it was an elephant fly.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

Eurghh .. sounds like pic'n'mix in a biology lab .. there is a sky burial carried out in Mongolia where they take the deceased up onto the mountain and leave it for the birds and animals to feast on the chewy bits .. 

That seems practical to me, letting someone or something having the use of a dead body.
Surely that's no different to burying someone in the ground allowing the worms to feast?

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Hemel Hempstead used to drive through there a lot. I often wonder who was a awarded the prize for that roundabout scheme

I thought it was Swindon that had the “magic roundabout”. Maybe more than one due to its success. Five smaller roundabouts in a circle. I know I often criticise the Thai way of thinking, but whoever planned that thing was either Thai or thinking like one  😂

For those who are lost in this off topic comment, please see attached. 

4151881E-0AC4-4D32-A08F-970BB05B4118.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I thought it was Swindon that had the “magic roundabout”. Maybe more than one due to its success. Five smaller roundabouts in a circle. I know I often criticise the Thai way of thinking, but whoever planned that thing was either Thai or thinking like one  😂

Hemels roundabouts

image.jpeg.4b2e7acc825b6d7db587056ff4839cf2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ea05deef28533828aef217a8d7bfa0d.jpeg

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Hemels roundabouts

image.jpeg.4b2e7acc825b6d7db587056ff4839cf2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ea05deef28533828aef217a8d7bfa0d.jpeg

That is truly mind numbing 😂😂😂. Can you imagine dropping that in the middle of Bangkok or better still, somewhere like Udon. Bikes, cars and trucks would just take the shortest route 😂😂

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Fair play to Swindon. They had the balls to name it as such. Officialdom in Hemel is far more circumspect.

Funny thing is that if you google either town, before you have finished typing the first word, "roundabout" is the first option offered. Imagine "Mr Google" as he sees the keystrokes S-W-I-N or H-E-M-E, saying to himself, "Easy peasy. I'll give them "roundabout". Why else would any one ask about these places".

• Haha 2

Just now, Transam said:

Who is going to catch them....?

No one but encouraging people to take videos while most likely driving is not the best idea.  How about just policing the roads?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transam said:

That is what I was asking, LOS has a zillion laws but no boots on the street to enforce them....🤔

Yeah we keep hearing about how the govt is trying to save eveyone form Covid yet 60 people perish on the highway in a single day.  Makes no sense.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jason said:

You can have all laws you want....without enforcement, they mean little. Police presence on the roads....not just road blocks to check foreigners paperwork, but officers patrolling in cars and on motorbikes. Stopping dangerous drivers, speeding riders. For more deliberate acts causing harm...crush the motorbike. I did find some of the penalties mentioned, out of proportion with the seriousness of crime. I seriously wonder what it takes (or how little it takes) to get a license....or if some even have a license. 

Here we sponsor a program that goes to schools and educates high school students about the consequences of drink driving, where we set up a mock road accident. It involves, police, fire brigade, ambulance, funeral directors and student actors. It has had a profound effect in curbing the road toll and is done just as most are about to get their driver's licence. 

We also have random drug and alcohol testing by police in pop up test centres. But police presence is by far the biggest deterrent. 

All true. What country does this program takes place? I saw a Line delivery rider quickly grab his helmet from under his ass the other day as a group of policemen were at an intersection. Too funny! 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, Geo said:

Yes pass your test in a car park then let loose. May as well fart against the wind be as much use

During my test, the tester was busy (ahem, resting) so he made all the motor riders do a quick loop once. Passed all of them! After getting their permits, they all rode off with helmets hanging off the handlebars. Not even a fart against the wind.

• Haha 1