News Forum - Thailand focuses tourism on first-time visitors and India

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has expanded its target demographic a bit in its plan to reinvigorate the tourist economy in the country. The new plan the TAT is embracing is to focus not just on the so-called “high quality” tourists, but also to chase first-time visitors to Thailand. Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn is confident and hopeful, saying that the lowest point for Thai tourism had passed, now that 2,000 to 3,000 international travellers are arriving each day in Thailand’s reopening. But he calls for everyone in the tourism sector or related industries to work together to […]

The story Thailand focuses tourism on first-time visitors and India as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Clearly the TAT is clutching at straws and chasing any perceived micro market like a barking dog chases cars. Anyone who has the faintest idea about marketing knows that to recruit a new customer costs 7-10 times more money than creating repeat purchase. So neglecting traditional markets is pure folly. The Thai tourism plant is in desperate need of fast increases in business volume and regaining markets that already are predisposed to visit will be vastly more effective & efficient. It looks like this country has absolutely no idea what it is doing.

• Like 11

So the fool understands his plan for high quality visitors has turned him, TAT and the government into laughing stocks so to save face he think he can attract 1st time Indians now, no doubt in their millions. Guess he thinks the story that at present there are an estimated 60% of India's population, 812 million, living below the poverty line  as untrue and he and the Thai government know better.

Either that or he thinks that they are living below the poverty line superficially as they have been saving their $ 2 dollars a week income  so that they can treat themselves to a holiday in Thailand rather than eating.  Of course many Indians will come to Thailand on holiday as soon as restrictions and finance allow them to , no different from before. So him "feeling confident" with these  ideas suggest he is certifiable by normal standards . 

https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/coronavirus-impact-over-100-million-indians-could-fall-below-poverty-line-120041700906_1.html

1 minute ago, gummy said:

So the fool understands his plan for high quality visitors has turned him, TAT and the government into laughing stocks so to save face he think he can attract 1st time Indians now, no doubt in their millions. Guess he thinks the story that at present there are an estimated 60% of India's population, 812 million, living below the poverty line  as untrue and he and the Thai government know better.

Either that or he thinks that they are living below the poverty line superficially as they have been saving their $ 2 dollars a week income  so that they can treat themselves to a holiday in Thailand rather than eating.  Of course many Indians will come to Thailand on holiday as soon as restrictions and finance allow them to , no different from before. So him "feeling confident" with these his ideas suggest he is certifiable by normal standards . 

https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/coronavirus-impact-over-100-million-indians-could-fall-below-poverty-line-120041700906_1.html

@Griff1315's Cessna will soon turn a profit though! He can get at least 40 in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Is this because they come once and never come back again? 

Well perhaps many don't even come once if they can't haggle the price down  😂😂

Targeting first time visitors ?? are the regular tourists that disappointed / given up ??

I wish we could have more precise data on the tourists feedback and a little of bench-marking with the other neighbors, especially Vietnam.

This being said, they are maybe now realizing/acknowledging that Thailand is not what it used to be, that the social media does not forgive, and that the reputation of the country has collapsed in recent years.

And I will not mentioned the retirees that have been fleeing out since few years ..... and the other F... farangs that are pissed off and propagate a super good image of the country ....

Lets keep positive: this is a good opportunity to rebuild an true and sincere attractiveness !

The people in the tourism business (and the resident expats) are waiting for it !!

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn is confident and hopeful, saying that the lowest point for Thai tourism had passed, now that 2,000 to 3,000 international travellers are arriving each day

Is he trying to win storyteller of the year award with that .. go check out Suv' on youtubes .. 

• Like 1

India is the only potential large market in short to medium range flying distance to thailand at present.

Long range mass tourism will be vastly reduced for at least another year.

It smells of a desperate roll of the dice while waiting for china to allow it's citizens to travel overseas again.

There is quite a large Indian middle class who like to travel nowadays but attracting them will take some doing.they often prefer to travel to europe and the middle east for vacations.

• Like 4

The death nail in the coffin, very economical with the truth when it comes to Covid-19.  Time will tell, head for another spike, hopefully where Indian's 'hang out'. It's not rocket science, ask any ex taxi driver.

At present there are no international flights in or out of India till the end of November. This may be extended through December. Anyone who wants or needs to travel to Thailand from India must 1st transit a country that has an air Bubble agreement. Hardly going to attract many Indians regardless of income. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pompies said:

Clearly the TAT is clutching at straws and chasing any perceived micro market like a barking dog chases cars. Anyone who has the faintest idea about marketing knows that to recruit a new customer costs 7-10 times more money than creating repeat purchase. So neglecting traditional markets is pure folly. The Thai tourism plant is in desperate need of fast increases in business volume and regaining markets that already are predisposed to visit will be vastly more effective & efficient. It looks like this country has absolutely no idea what it is doing.

I was almost going to dispute your post until I saw the point about the cost of recruiting new business. But you are right about exploiting the established market. There's no business like repeat business. Especially as I think most of us know multiple serial visitors to this destination. 

However, it is obvious that just like the tobacco biz, TH needs to replace the frequent visitors that either die off or become too infirm to enjoy the product. I am pretty close to my last trip as I speak. 

• Like 2

As they keep the nightlife and bars and soapy massages shut til 2022+ as was topic in parliament today, and as the Big Cheesehead told all the owners to not be selfish and accept the closure not making money, the new tourist and quality tourist will not be able to visit or see that type of Thailand fun and problem solved. How I read it is they are sterilizing and trying to flip the type of visitors now. 

• Like 1

No HolyCow TAT are attempting to refloat a rubber dingy that has just to many holes to repair. As they repair one another appears. Most would bin it and buy a new one but these clowns will battle on regardless.

• Like 3

why is thailand looking under rocks and else where to jump start the tourtist????all is needed to bring back a flood of tourtist is to drop that crap ''thai pass'',hotel booking and the other hoops!!people are sick of it.ive called my thai embassy with no luck,no info and never an answere to an e mail.just open the country with a visa and vaccine card proof in hand and cut all the crap!people are waiting  for a sane way to come.drop all the b/s!!

• Like 3

..just waiting for the day when the Tourism Authority sets up a third exit from Immigration:

1. "GOODS TO DECLARE"

2. "NOTHING TO DECLARE"

3. "DROP ALL YOUR MONEY IN SLOT & BOARD RETURN FLIGHT HOME"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, gummy said:

Either that or he thinks that they are living below the poverty line superficially as they have been saving their $ 2 dollars a week income  so that they can treat themselves to a holiday in Thailand rather than eating.  Of course many Indians will come to Thailand on holiday as soon as restrictions and finance allow them to , no different from before. So him "feeling confident" with these  ideas suggest he is certifiable by normal standards . 

These Indians get paid $2 per week!

You mean they're payed every week?

They'll be having lots of holidays then on that level of pay.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 

TAT involved, must be true.

3 hours ago, farang said:

why is thailand looking under rocks and else where to jump start the tourtist????all is needed to bring back a flood of tourtist is to drop that crap ''thai pass'',hotel booking and the other hoops!!people are sick of it.ive called my thai embassy with no luck,no info and never an answere to an e mail.just open the country with a visa and vaccine card proof in hand and cut all the crap!people are waiting  for a sane way to come.drop all the b/s!!

They don’t want tourists back yet. They know it’s too early. Smoke and mirrors. Open but closed/closed but open. These things won’t be resolved (deliberately) until February or March next year. Then TATwill be pushing for Songkran tourists with catchy marketing slogans such as “Songkran Smiles Thailand open to all smiles”. Along with other such BS

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

They don’t want tourists back yet. They know it’s too early. Smoke and mirrors. Open but closed/closed but open. These things won’t be resolved (deliberately) until February or March next year. Then TATwill be pushing for Songkran tourists with catchy marketing slogans such as “Songkran Smiles Thailand open to all smiles”. Along with other such BS

You mean like the Phuket 'traffic accident agency' that recently 'solved' the problem by deciding to place large signs (made by their Uncle's company?) in strategic places on the island - asking people to slow down and drive safely?

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The new plan the TAT is embracing is to focus not just on the so-called “high quality” tourists, but also to chase first-time visitors to Thailand

I get it, high quality, high quality, high quality. They are only needed for their money.

But why first time visitors? 😏 Is it because they have no clue of the currency and are easy to scam? 😏

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Is he trying to win storyteller of the year award with that .. go check out Suv' on youtubes .. 

Seriously, is there a live feed of the airport then?

4 hours ago, farang said:

I would have to agree, i dont really see the value of the TP  but I also dont see why anyone would rush here for a holiday if that was their only reason for visiting. If  I was back home in Mebourne I would be looking to the Fiji or similar before Thailand. It actually quite saddening when you see all the business that are closed not just in bkk but hua hin pattaya chaing mai phuket etc.  I drive past the ekamai beer house nealy every day and last had a drink and meal in there in March, how this business and many others will be able to afford re open is a mystery to me. To visit here as a tourist now and enjoy the real thailand maybe be dissapointing.

• Like 1