News Forum - Thailand now generating electricity at world’s biggest hydro-solar farm

Thaiger

As part of Thailand’s push to become a carbon-neutral country by 2050, the world’s largest hydro-solar hybrid energy farm has officially gone online and is now generating electricity. The solar farm floats atop the Sirindhorn Dam in Ubon Ratchathani and is as big as 70 football fields. The massive installation floats on Sirindhorn Reservoir along Lam Dom Noi River, about 660 km east of Bangkok. The farm generates electricity both by harnessing the power of the sun in its solar panels, and generating electricity from the water that it’s floating on with 3 turbines converting the water’s flow into energy. […]

The story Thailand now generating electricity at world’s biggest hydro-solar farm as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

Good story about Thailand - and as long as it is economically sustainable and does not end up with very expensive electricity costs, then long may they continue these sort of developments. Thailand make 2/3 of its electricity from Natural Gas and that is far more eco friendly than coal - all good news.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Well done Thailand!

How long will it be before it is cost effective?

Probably a lot longer than elsewhere due to 30% kick-backs having to be paid

9 minutes ago, Poolie said:

What's electricity got to do with the Tourism Authority?

nothing really, but looks like they put the numbers together. Germany plans to go carbon neutral by 2045, Thailand by 2050? 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

nothing really, but looks like they put the numbers together. Germany plans to go carbon neutral by 2045, Thailand by 2050? 

That's what I thought.

27 minutes ago, Poolie said:

What's electricity got to do with the Tourism Authority?

Actually I expect there will be a rush for the uber rich which TAT are attracting to Thailand in their thousands to view these floating solar panels. I think they are simply fed up with shopping for designer goods, dining in fine dining restaurants and staying in 6 star hotels and talking with their financial advisors most of the time. They simply want to give money away to the poor in Thailand and come and see how this country is well on its way to saving the world thanks to these Thai initiatives. Without TAT they may never have been so enlightened 😂

30 minutes ago, gummy said:

Actually I expect there will be a rush for the uber rich which TAT are attracting to Thailand in their thousands to view these floating solar panels. I think they are simply fed up with shopping for designer goods, dining in fine dining restaurants and staying in 6 star hotels and talking with their financial advisors most of the time. They simply want to give money away to the poor in Thailand and come and see how this country is well on its way to saving the world thanks to these Thai initiatives. Without TAT they may never have been so enlightened 😂

May I be the first to say ......................convoluted to say the least! 😉

Let’s see, the newest diesel trucks now being sold here will only be about 30 years old. Hard to believe a lot of them won’t still be running and spewing, as will be the cars available then because of the likely failed expectations. Carbon neutral? Probably not if China’s influence has anything to say about it.

• Cool 1

The tourist industry depends on an endless stream of huge airplanes carrying tourists in and out of Thailands airports. Those huge airplanes are not going to run on electricity. Manufacturing and trade depend on an endless stream of huge container ships and freighter vessels carrying goods in and out of Thailands ports. Those huge ships are not going to run on electricity. Etc, etc. Thailand and the rest of the world are deluding themselves in believing that fossil fuels can be completely replaced.

3 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Buy 1 pannel get a free sinovac! 🤔

Wasn't the donation 1.5m doses?

That would mean 10 Sinovac per panel (144k panels). Are you trying to scam me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

🤔 Chinese solar panels maybe? Special price for you with your purchase of Sinovac? 🤔

Buy 1 get 2 if they are Chinese and the Sinovac in a eco disposable container, please.

16 hours ago, palooka said:

Buy 1 get 2 if they are Chinese and the Sinovac in a eco disposable container, please.

No Hab - pastic bag onleee !!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

The tourist industry depends on an endless stream of huge airplanes carrying tourists in and out of Thailands airports. Those huge airplanes are not going to run on electricity. Manufacturing and trade depend on an endless stream of huge container ships and freighter vessels carrying goods in and out of Thailands ports. Those huge ships are not going to run on electricity. Etc, etc. Thailand and the rest of the world are deluding themselves in believing that fossil fuels can be completely replaced.

True - but it is a matter of balance and slowly slowly.  Planes and Ships are becoming more and more CO2 'friendly' - but as you say they will never be able to run on 'solar'.  The biggest issue is forest burning, way more than vehicles, because what burns out CO2, does not then absorb other CO2 (double the affect). But getting vehicles 'better' a good move, and getting rid of coal powered electricity generators is too.  But I still say and always will say that nuclear powered electricity generation is the right way to go.  

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

But I still say and always will say that nuclear powered electricity generation is the right way to go

But guess a few around Fukushima may perhaps question that opinion. Certainly it benefited the Japanese Tuna industry as you can see the canned Tuna from Japan glowing in the dark now saving on fossil fuel generated electric lighting 😂

1 hour ago, gummy said:

But guess a few around Fukushima may perhaps question that opinion. Certainly it benefited the Japanese Tuna industry as you can see the canned Tuna from Japan glowing in the dark now saving on fossil fuel generated electric lighting 😂

Unfortunately a lot of people dont see what you said as a joke - they are shite scared of nuclear - because they dont know the facts - they only know what the media said - which of course was not over-hyped rubbish designed to scare people for their own ratings.  I can remember someone telling me they were worried about a family member in Canada because of the fallout - patience Bob patience is what I said at the time.

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

So Thailand will be a carbon-neutral hydro-solar hybrid energy hub by 2050 and today it kick-started this. 

Another 'hub' - well done mate !!