News Forum - Pattaya bar owner goes on hunger strike over government diddling and re-opening fiasco

Thaiger

18 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I wasn't being critical. Just making an observation how so many people are expecting certainty in such an uncertain environment.

Well they don’t care about any of they thai people and are massively going to always be out of touch living in their own scene, so as they see it they may all try to change their names to Ghandi and sterilize to their hypocritical ways saying all how honest and good they are. It is a thai and foreign thing of bars. 

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

That's priceless.

I asked him what did he tell them. He said he stammered and did lots of Umm’s and then said, it must be a mistake with their English and must mean Large Drink. He was an idiot, but fast on his feet 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

I wasn't being critical. Just making an observation how so many people are expecting certainty in such an uncertain environment.

In my opinion there's no point "opening the country" in name only by using creative accounting techniques. I'd rather be told the percentage of vaccinations needed and be kept up to date with the actual true state of protection of the population, than be told something different every day and never know where I stand, whilst quite possibly being faced with another surprise tomorrow if someone in power feels so inclined. And not necessarily for any true reason.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Various degrees I guess - but 99% of any BG’s I know are self employed and don’t hand over a baht to anyone. They are also free to do what they like with who they like. I’ve never seen anyone pressured. 

Compare that to some of the Eastern European monsters that now ply their trade throughout the U.K. and I would  say they’re light years apart. 

The first is a choice, the second is enforced. 

In fairness, there are many worse than you will find in TH. And in particular regard to TH, there are relative success stories among the B/g's.

i am less concern for him than all the girls who are jobless, i guess he did lose a lot as he made a lot of investment in these bars, beside he certainly get some return as well. His problem if he was not able to save in case of problems. well that s just how the business is, it was a pandemic it could have been a tsunami as in 2004. No doubt he ll get back on his foot, this fasting thingy is just smoke and mirror . I do not see why the gov will even pay attention to this .......... i will pity all who were working for theses bars but him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Various degrees I guess - but 99% of any BG’s I know are self employed and don’t hand over a baht to anyone. They are also free to do what they like with who they like. I’ve never seen anyone pressured. 

Compare that to some of the Eastern European monsters that now ply their trade throughout the U.K. and I would  say they’re light years apart. 

The first is a choice, the second is enforced. 

Yes I think the way such business is handled in Thailand is much less pressured than it is in some other countries. Prostitution in many European countries takes place through human trafficking or a result of debt or drug abuse. In Thailand it’s plain old poverty desperation courtesy of the government that drives most of it. Hence many of the girls are from the poor parts of the North East. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

In my opinion there's no point "opening the country" in name only by using creative accounting techniques. I'd rather be told the percentage of vaccinations needed and be kept up to date with the actual true state of protection of the population, than be told something different every day and never know where I stand, whilst quite possibly being faced with another surprise tomorrow if someone in power feels so inclined. And not necessarily for any true reason.

I'd agree with you, that there is something flawed in the way that TH is carrying out it's reopening. All the other countries I've been following, albeit Western, re-opened the bars first, and then tourism. AFAIK, TH is the only country to do the reverse. 

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I'd agree with you, that there is something flawed in the way that TH is carrying out it's reopening. All the other countries I've been following, albeit Western, re-opened the bars first, and then tourism. AFAIK, TH is the only country to do the reverse. 

Thailand has done most things in reverse. Most countries vaccinated in the order of:

Elderly and at risk due to underlying health along with front line health workers. 

Reducing age groups in the order of oldest first down to 18:

Then younger children 12+

Thailand was:

Minister and family first.

Rich hi-so types

Some health workers

Anyone who was in the right place at the right time. 

When it came to opening up, most places ensure adequate levels of vaccination and then open up business in order of low to high risk and then schools. Thailand opened hair dressers and gyms before schools. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Craig said:

This hunger strike could go on forever.   

The rate of expansion of the business would indicate he’s either very wealthy and funding it from his own money. Either that or he’s leveraged or indebted up to his eyeballs and looking for protection through publicity to stop himself “going missing” 

• Haha 2

Just now, Soidog said:

The rate of expansion of the business would indicate he’s either very wealthy and funding it from his own money. Either that or he’s leveraged or indebted up to his eyeballs and looking for protection through publicity to stop himself “going missing” 

No he was not self funding. A while back, maybe 2/3 years he was selling investment into the group, adverts on his forum.

Looks like the consensus of opinion is that the guy should starve.... Pattaya has long been the centre of a red light district. It is well known. The country is in the grip of a pandemic. Responsible measures to reopen, won't be contested. If they are, it's by people who have "vested' interests. But the gateway to reopen is vaccination on a massive scale. So get to it. Turn your bars and nightclubs into vaccination hubs!  That's a way you can bring an end to this....

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

No he was not self funding. A while back, maybe 2/3 years he was selling investment into the group, adverts on his forum.

Well I thought that wouldn’t be the case @gummy but I’m not in the mood to fight the trolls today so tried to keep it politically correct 😂. Keeping his profile high so he’s not found in a ditch then the most likely reason. 

Hunger strike is a bit extreme, but he's in a situation similar to many businesses and small business owners/ employees who've been shut down by the Thai government without any financial subsidies ,grants,or low interest loans to keep their businesses afloat during the pandemic lockdown. Owners and employees are forced to improvise and take to extremes to survive on their own. I have no sympathy for the rich cause they cry about anything that taps into their finances but for the small business owners and employees who scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meat to provide local services and entertainment to their community its painful . When tourists start to arrive and the bars, restaurants, hotels, resorts are all closed where do they go ...Hang out on the beach for two weeks with no music, alcohol, dinning on street/7 eleven food maybe ☹️

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

But it hits all entertainment business not just this group and a resort city without entertainment, clubs etc would not be workable all over the world. In all tourist destinatinatiins they have it because the tourists want to enjoy their holidays and thats why you have everywhere beachbars and one with live music or djs. I think is not wise to put all that entertainment now in one pot and it would not be fair for all the entertainment aces with live music and the musicians. If they wanted to stop any prostitutions they could do it already long time ago without destroying all the entertainment industry. There are a majority who not went to the soi 6  and enjoyed other areas or places with live music.

Yes I do understand, but the article talks about a certain foreigner and his group of bars. Girls going with guys her in Thailand even goes all the way into the seemingly normal Thai food places that have beer girls and then probably even further. It is almost like part of an area of their culture. They couldn’t stop girls going with guys or men even if it was about saving their pecked being cut off. Second wives or side girlfriend or even having a second wife and a side chick is is long ingrained in them and this is all about money. Entertainment and nightlife is essential to here in Thailand, and all entertainment is connected as part of the fun that keeps thailand alive. Fact is girls are everywhere and there will always be guys and girls fishing fir one another. 
But they don’t care as there are 2 standards, theirs and what they force. 

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I would if I could find it. Mind I'm bored already. Perhaps I wont bother. Why dont you do it yourself through his youtube group?

And he was one of the first owners to try to Youtube  live stream from the bars to get people to donate via Payapl to "give the girls a drink".  Yer right but although the RTP closed that down due to breaking the closure orders etc , no doubt prior to that there were a few gullible punters who did so.

Yes I feel sorry for the girls of course but him ?

10 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes I do understand, but the article talks about a certain foreigner and his group of bars. Girls going with guys her in Thailand even goes all the way into the seemingly normal Thai food places that have beer girls and then probably even further. It is almost like part of an area of their culture. They couldn’t stop girls going with guys or men even if it was about saving their pecked being cut off. Second wives or side girlfriend or even having a second wife and a side chick is is long ingrained in them and this is all about money. Entertainment and nightlife is essential to here in Thailand, and all entertainment is connected as part of the fun that keeps thailand alive. Fact is girls are everywhere and there will always be guys and girls fishing fir one another. 

Yes I got your points but who was responsible to build that up and some remember when they made controls and raids in Pattaya and they announced there is no prostitution. My point they could stop it already if they wanted before but this actions is destroying the whole industry and is not a action on prostitution. If they wanted explicit that they could ban prostitutiin in bars just simple like that. And in the listing where men mostly goes to prostotutes Thai men and Cambodia are on the top and the countries the tourists come from not. Or this culture  to have mistresses you not find like that western countries. People who live long time enough in south east asia know about or acknowledge this culture to have prostitutes and mistresses. So I guess the majority of tourists are surly not the reason for this phenomen. It seems it is used as a scapegoat because they could tbst stop it easy if this their point without to destroy and punish the whole entertainment, bars, restaurant, hotel and tourism section.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I agree thats why it is weired all are punished. I agree on all your points

Came to a developing country to **** out girls and take advantage of the loose regulations 

And now whining that it has turned against

I couldn't care if he lost every penny 

PS....I have very much taken part in the p4p scene and looking back, know I was also taken advantage of girls 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this is a smart move irrespective of the rights and wrongs.

i understand his point of view but drawing official attention to your self is not wise in the industry he is involved in anyplace anytime.

• Like 3

Looking back at the Dutch guy who went to court over that hospital bill, I guess this bar owner could be fasting for the rest of his life. 

Who cares about Brian Flowers, if he needs money he can go back to England and work there. Brian Flowers on hunger strike aka fasting, that's the most ridiculous thing I have seen or read, that and the TAT predictions !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

That’s been the case all over the world it seems. Sports stars, movie stars and the rich and powerful of the world have basically carried on as normal. Flying in private jere and privileged access. Had the minor inconvenience of having to wear their designer face masks while they get out of the public view. It’s certainly been one rule for the rich and powerful and another for everyone else. Basically how it always is, so shouldn’t be too surprised 

And of coutse for the uber rich, Germany has been a favoured place for their antics. Looks like after last night it is becoming popular again.

"We spoke to Bryan as he embarks on this deadly serious protest. Will this dramatic protest have any effect?"

Deadly? No.

Middle aged bloke thinking that a him going on a diet and loosing a few kilos is drama? Yup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

"We spoke to Bryan as he embarks on this deadly serious protest. Will this dramatic protest have any effect?"

Deadly? No.

Middle aged bloke thinking that a him going on a diet and loosing a few kilos is drama? Yup.

I suspect he is a pal of Richard Barrow.  Someone whom on the surface who takes a poke at the Thai government/rules but behind the scenes is complicit in other matters for their own personal benefit.