Cost of Australia holding each refugee on Nauru balloons to $4.3m a year

PBS

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Then be proud of the immigration problems you have created then.

And the deaths.

The Immigration problem is Europe was created by the EU and their open Borders and free movement policies (that no one voted for).

As for the deaths if your stupid enough to try and cross 24 odd miles off the World's busiest shipping lanes in a rubber dinghy wearing a defective life jacket all I can say is you rolled the dice and paid the price. 

Just like the 30 plus off the coast of Calais yesterday. 

Edited by 23RD
Typo
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, 23RD said:

The Immigration problem is Europe was created by the EU and their open Borders and free movement policies (that no one voted for).

As for the deaths if your stupid enough to try and cross 24 odd miles off the World's busiest shipping lanes in a rubber dinghy wearing a defective life jacket all I can say is you rolled the dice and paid the price. 

Just like the 30 plus off the coast of Calais yesterday. 

Prior to Brexit they would have been processed in France so no need to cross the channel.

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Prior to Brexit they would have been processed in France so no need to cross the channel.

But they didn't stay in France they headed for the UK mainly because we have no National ID cards like most other Countries.

And In many cases pushed along the route by the French authorities as they didn't want them either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Sorry PBS - you are completely wrong.

John Howard started the 'offshore solution' for illegal immigrants. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/a-history-of-australia-s-offshore-detention-policy/f3b56cbd-f396-41df-ba54-2d4b6735eb9c  In response to thousands illegally entering and then using the 'system' (and NGOs) to appeal and appeal and appeal when rejected costing the Aust taxpayer billions every year. 

There are a lot of refugees settled in Australia from UN camps - look it up yourself. I worked with one guy from Iran and he hated the illegals - he and his family waited 7 years in a UN camp. 

The vast majority are not 'fleeing' - they are seeking a better life - they wont apply to migrate and wait, so they come illegally.  Sadly first world Govts are yet to come up with a solution to all the illegal immigrants claiming to be refugees.

Yes, my error, you're correct Howard established the Pacific Solution, contrary to Australia's obligations under the UN Convention for Refugees. The term 'illegal migrants' was a political tool as what the boat people were doing was not illegal under the UN Convention. Australia has not refuted it's ratification and signatory of the Convention.

It is not a crime to enter Australia without authorisation for the purpose of seeking asylum. Asylum seekers do not break any Australian laws simply by arriving on boats or without authorisation. Article 31 of the Refugee Convention clearly states that refugees should not be penalised for arriving without valid travel documents.

Gillard re-established the Pacific Solution with Offshore Processing, again contrary to the UN Convention. I'm well aware Oz does resettle vetted refugees from UNHCR as well as humanitarian visas.

So far as Australia is concerned the 'vast majority' of asylum seekers held in detention offshore for years were vetted as genuine refugees. Obviously those held in UNHCR facilities for resettlement have also been vetted as genuine refugees; to keep claiming they are not is just rhetoric. Those deemed 'economic refugees' are subject to deportation. Some countries have put in place government to government agreements to facilitate removal and return, though somewhat limited success as most are authoritarian to a lesser or greater degree, which speaks volumes. 

The OP I posted has been largely overlooked by political rhetoric, the massive costs for detaining the remaining refugees offshore should be addressed as a matter of urgency by Oz government. However, the sums involved pale into insignificance compared to the AUD 35 billion by companies in Ox refusing to return overpayments made with Jobkeeper, an issue that is receiving very little attention - it's a disgrace!.

Edited by PBS

26 minutes ago, 23RD said:

But they didn't stay in France they headed for the UK mainly because we have no National ID cards like most other Countries.

And In many cases pushed along the route by the French authorities as they didn't want them either. 

So France has to take them because you and your Brexiteers dont want them.

21 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So France has to take them because you and your Brexiteers dont want them.

They have no right to enter the UK or France illegally Buddy these are economic migrants not genuine refugees who have crossed not just Countries but Continents looking for the best welfare systems or do you think they come for the weather?.

If you have no Borders you have no Country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 23RD said:

They have no right to enter the UK or France illegally Buddy these are economic migrants not genuine refugees who have crossed not just Countries but Continents looking for the best welfare systems or do you think they come for the weather?.

But given how many are crossing the channel illegally then we do have no border.

Before Brexit we had a border in France though.

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But given how many are crossing the channel illegally then we do have no border.

Before Brexit we had a border in France though.

No really just the People traffickers tactics have changes because of the huge amount of money spent fortifying the Channel Ports namely Calais and its access roads it's very hard to stow away in Lorries nowadays the traffickers know this that's why they change tactics. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 23RD said:

No really just the People traffickers tactics have changes because of the huge amount of money spent fortifying the Channel Ports namely Calais and its access roads it's very hard to stow away in Lorries nowadays the traffickers know this that's why they change tactics. 

Right so without Brexit and the changes made in France we would be having far less illegal immigration than what we currently have.

But of course Brexit screwed that.

Thanks for making my point for me.

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Right so without Brexit and the changes made in France we would be having far less illegal immigration than what we currently have.

But of course Brexit screwed that.

Thanks for making my point for me.

We've had a problem with illegal immigration for over 50 years the thing about BREXIT it gives us power back in our own hands to change are Laws.

The Nationality & Borders Bill when passed will deter illegal migration as it will remove the pull factor.

Back on topic the OP stated that the cost of holding a Illegal Immigrant on Narua is 4.3 million AUS a year.

So for each one held on Narua as well as outstanding success of Operation Sovereign Borders has probably deterred let's call it a ball park figure off 1000 other Illegal Immigrants entering Australia by boat that's money well spent as I've not doubt if it wasn't for Operation Sovereign Borders at least 1 Million Illegal Immigrants would have entered Australia by that route over the years of Operation Sovereign Borders. 

Which in turn has saved the Australian Welfare system Billions on AUS Dollars again money well spent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 23RD said:

Back on topic the OP stated that the cost of holding a Illegal Immigrant on Narua is 4.3 million AUS a year.

So for each one held on Narua as well as outstanding success of Operation Sovereign Borders has probably deterred let's call it a ball park figure off 1000 other Illegal Immigrants entering Australia by boat that's money well spent as I've not doubt if it wasn't for Operation Sovereign Borders at least 1 Million Illegal Immigrants would have entered Australia by that route over the years of Operation Sovereign Borders. 

Which in turn has saved the Australian Welfare system Billions on AUS Dollars again money well spent.

I am an Australian citizen. I can inform you there is deep concern at the cost of off shoring asylum seekers. The main issue is there was only one company who tendered, with costs increasing every year, without review,  - originally the cost per detainee was AUD400k. Accordingly it is a rip off for the Australian tax payer. On the other side of the coin demonstrates the massive wait time for positively vetted refugees to be resettled.

In 2016 the PNG Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional to detain positively vetted refugees and instructed the Oz government to close down Manus Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manus_Regional_Processing_Centre#:~:text=It was formally closed on,of a refugee swap deal.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:54 PM, 23RD said:

If an asylum seeker has been vetted as an  economic refugee it is incumbent of the vetting country to have sufficient infrastructure / resources to manage them until they can be deported via government to government agreements, of which there are very few. The very fact most source countries refuse to enter government to government agreements for returnees, in itself, tells a story as too their nature. On the other hand a number of EU countries have very poor processing times for vetting, consequently some desperate actions by asylum seekers, again due to under resourcing, so the blame game within the EU continues. Reminds me of the numerous errors of judgement made by EU countries which led to the 2015 influx of asylum seekers from Turkey, although they were forewarned of the consequences of complacency. It would make a very pleasant change if government would accept ownership of their decision making or rather lack of. which leads to blame the victim as is so prevalent on this forum and other social media.

Much of the above applies to the Australian government/s leading to the cruelty of detaining vetted refugees for years.

Edited by PBS

4 hours ago, PBS said:

The very fact most source countries refuse to enter government to government agreements for returnees, in itself, tells a story as too their nature

Good point PBS as most Countries especially in Europe know the heavy burden off these economic migrants. 

4 hours ago, PBS said:

Reminds me of the numerous errors of judgement made by EU countries which led to the 2015 influx of asylum seekers from Turkey,

Yes an error by the EUSSR giving millions to Turkey when the money would have been better securing the Border between Greece and Turkey and putting EU maritime assets in the Aegean sea to push back these Economic Migrants. 

4 hours ago, PBS said:

Much of the above applies to the Australian government/s leading to the cruelty of detaining vetted refugees for years

But the good news is many Australian Citizens have been able to sleep at night and go about their everyday lives because of these policies. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:52 AM, PBS said:

am an Australian citizen. I can inform you there is deep concern at the cost of off shoring asylum seekers

Funny that PBS Buddy out off my 43 Australian friends here in Pattaya I've never heard one complain about Operation Sovereign Borders or Offshore detention.

In fact the usual response I get from my Aussie buddies is they should feed them to the Croc's (but I do love the Aussie sense of humour).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 23RD said:

Good point PBS as most Countries especially in Europe know the heavy burden off these economic migrants. 

Yes an error by the EUSSR giving millions to Turkey when the money would have been better securing the Border between Greece and Turkey and putting EU maritime assets in the Aegean sea to push back these Economic Migrants. 

But the good news is many Australian Citizens have been able to sleep at night and go about their everyday lives because of these policies. 

Quite obvious you love wallowing in ignorance and know nothing of the Australian culture other than extreme right wing rhetoric. Two white right wing organisations are now banned as terrorist groups in Oz, some ex military, do you know them?

Edited by PBS
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Funny that PBS Buddy out off my 43 Australian friends here in Pattaya I've never heard one complain about Operation Sovereign Borders or Offshore detention.

In fact the usual response I get from my Aussie buddies is they should feed them to the Croc's (but I do love the Aussie sense of humour).

Not odd at all - like attracts like. BTW aren't you British, strange you use American slang.

1 hour ago, PBS said:

Quite obvious you love wallowing in ignorance and know nothing of the Australian culture other than extreme right wing rhetoric.

Well Buddy I'm Welsh so no expert on Aussie culture but I do like a beer or two on ANZAC Day and Australia Day with my Australian Buddies here in Pattaya and there all very similar minded chaps does that make my 43 Aussie Buddies in Pattaya 'extreme right' ?.

In fact I did meet an Aussie leftie a few years back in Pattaya talked a lot off left wing cobblers I absolutely destroyed his argument with truth bombs he had no recourse to the truth I actually felt quite sorry for the boy to be honest I throught he was going to burst into tears but that's what happens when a gap year Uni Student tries to win an intellectual argument with an old Soldier I'm far to logical for the sensitive type.

Edited by 23RD
Typo

30 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Well Buddy I'm Welsh so no expert on Aussie culture but I do like a beer or two on ANZAC Day and Australia Day with my Australian Buddies here in Pattaya and there all very similar minded chaps does that make my 43 Aussie Buddies in Pattaya 'extreme right' ?.

In fact I did meet an Aussie leftie a few years back in Pattaya talked a lot off left wing cobblers I absolutely destroyed his argument with truth bombs he had no recourse to the truth I actually felt quite sorry for the boy to be honest I throught he was going to burst into tears but that's what happens when a gap year Uni Student tries to win an intellectual argument with an old Soldier I'm far to logical for the sensitive type.

I’ve known some ex military , more than a few  - truth bombs - lol

Edited by KaptainRob
Potentially abusive comment removed
  • Like 1