Jump to content

News Forum - COVID-19 SATURDAY: 69 deaths, 79 million vaccinated


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Today, the CCSA reported 8,467 new Covid-19 infections, up 317 since yesterday, and 69 Coronavirus-related deaths, down 11 from yesterday. Since April 1, in the latest wave of the virus in Thailand, a total of 1,931,166 confirmed Covid-19 infections have been reported. In the 24 hour period since the last count, the CCSA has reported 8,288 recoveries, up 50 from yesterday. There are now 97,410 people currently receiving treatment for Covid-19, down 60 from yesterday, including 2,054 in the ICU and 447 on ventilators. Of the new Covid-19 infections, 880 were found in correctional facilities, 189 were identified by community […]

The story COVID-19 SATURDAY: 69 deaths, 79 million vaccinated as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So not only do they change the daily vaccination numbers by hundreds of thousands a day without any explanation.

But then they claim 79m people vaccinated, which means full doses given, yet they turn out to be mostly first doses only (43m). Only 33m are fully vaccinated of which numerous have waned already, some of which have been given a booster (2.5m) 

Then they claim doses administered is 79m, but it is 43m*1 + 33m*2 + 2.5m*3. That would be 116.5m doses administered.

In short: the whole story is a mess, doesn't correspond with previous data (as they admit even in the article) because of unexplained changes and even now still isn't factually correct either.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're making it up as they go along....? Somebody forgot to bring the counting machine....? They were counting on ther fingers and toes....?  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm as dubious as anyone about the accuracy of the figures, but I don't believe these are due so much to deliberate manipulation as some suggest, or that the 'errors' are of anything near the scale some people like to claim. 

Looking at the excess death figures (the economist's are probably the easiest to follow) as a guide, Thailand's excess deaths are double the number of reported Covid deaths and that's about average world-wide.

Nowhere near the worst difference, with Uzbekistan on 35 times as many excess deaths, Nicaragua on 38 x, and Tajikistan on a whopping 100 x.

Locally, the Philippines have 3 x as many excess deaths as Covid deaths and Hong Kong have 8 x as many.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

So not only do they change the daily vaccination numbers by hundreds of thousands a day without any explanation.

But then they claim 79m people vaccinated, which means full doses given, yet they turn out to be mostly first doses only (43m). Only 33m are fully vaccinated of which numerous have waned already, some of which have been given a booster (2.5m) 

Then they claim doses administered is 79m, but it is 43m*1 + 33m*2 + 2.5m*3. That would be 116.5m doses administered.

In short: the whole story is a mess, doesn't correspond with previous data (as they admit even in the article) because of unexplained changes and even now still isn't factually correct either.

If you go to the DDC's site (there's a link) and read what they actually say, in Thai, it's not "a mess" at all and the figures all add up:

2.56 million fully vaccinated, two doses, plus a booster ...

33.1 million fully vaccinated, two doses ...

43.38 million vaccinated with one dose ...

2.56m + 33.1m + 43.38m = 79 million (actually 79.04 million) vaccinated with one to three doses.

Sure, the figures here are "a mess, doesn't correspond with previous data" etc, etc, but you're blaming the wrong people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

79 million doses administered does not mean the same as your title

: "... 79 million vaccinated", which implies the number of people, and "vaccinated" implies they are fully-vaccinated with 2 does (if not J&J).

The population of Thailand is approx 72 million. 

PLEASE... avoid misleading people, even if by accident of translation. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, voyager said:

79 million doses administered does not mean the same as your title

: "... 79 million vaccinated", which implies the number of people, and "vaccinated" implies they are fully-vaccinated with 2 does (if not J&J).

The population of Thailand is approx 72 million. 

PLEASE... avoid misleading people, even if by accident of translation. 

Why stop now? 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, voyager said:

79 million doses administered does not mean the same as your title

: "... 79 million vaccinated", which implies the number of people, and "vaccinated" implies they are fully-vaccinated with 2 does (if not J&J).

The population of Thailand is approx 72 million. 

PLEASE... avoid misleading people, even if by accident of translation. 

The problem, @voyager, is that so much is lost in translation - particularly when it's Google translate followed by Google re-write followed by a re-interpret by some posters here.

It's a bit like going on Lazada and asking about a small can of paint, then you read the Thai only to see that Google has been asking a hardware store if they have a 'little trumpet'.

Seriously.

When working in the middle east I always got anything I'd had translated into Arabic by one translator from English then translated back from Arabic into English by a different translator so I could compare the two.

In hindsight I can see that rather than clarifying things I may have confused them even further instead, as it's a bit like trying to explain why Thais are always one year older than we think they are - both systems make sense, but not at the same time.

The figures, as the DDC site in Thai says, are:

i) a total of 43.38 million vaccinated with one dose or more.

ii) Of that 43.38 million, 33.1 million are fully vaccinated with two doses or more.

iii) Of that 33.1 million, 2.56 million have had two doses plus a booster.

 

Or to put it another way:

i) 2.56 million have had two doses and a booster (three doses).

ii) 30.54 million have had two doses (fully vaccinated).

iii) 10.28 million have had a single dose.

iv) 28.6 million (approximately) have not been vaccinated at all yet.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

79 million vaccinated seems just too hard to believe especially after the late start to helping the thai people...and if the majority are from sinovac are useless to new variants..the recent rejection of 3 million free  moderns vaccines  from Poland & US was not justified  and covid still runs rampant..sinovac still being used in hospitals in huahin but this was guaranteed to have finished 2 weeks ago..

Why do dodgy statistics  keep being published ??

Edited by Johno
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johno said:

Why do dodgy statistics  keep being published ??

Maybe you should ask the person publishing them.....

(hint: it's not the DDC - see above 🤫

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jazzster said:

79 million vaccinated?  Really?  Thailand's population is well under that.  Writer should have known better. 

Are you all thick?

It obviously means 79m vaccinations given out, not to individuals. ie Two to some, three to others. One to the majority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Are you all thick?

It obviously means 79m vaccinations given out, not to individuals. ie Two to some, three to others. One to the majority.

 

 

Be gentle.

 

I had a good friend (of sound intelligence), on another forum who had trouble grasping it.

 

 

FFS, it is not astrionics!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a matter of your readers being "thick".  It's a matter of a journalists responsibility to be clear.  "79 million vaccinated" is a declarative statement of fact, even if it wasn't what the writer intended.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Johno said:

79 million vaccinated seems just too hard to believe especially after the late start to helping the thai people...and if the majority are from sinovac are useless to new variants..the recent rejection of 3 million free  moderns vaccines  from Poland & US was not justified  and covid still runs rampant..sinovac still being used in hospitals in huahin but this was guaranteed to have finished 2 weeks ago..

Why do dodgy statistics  keep being published ??

 

 

Clearly, you have never stood in a queue at Bang Sue station.

 

Believe the number or don't - the authorities don't give a sh!t.

 

I read that 80% of the local population of Pattaya had been fully vaccinated......do I believe it?  Of course not, but it matters not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 1

      News Forum - Bangkok to speed up removal of illegal canal structures

    2. 65
    3. 1

      News Forum - Bus fare collector dies in tragic motorcycle crash in Bangkok

    4. 18

      Wise demanding detailed personal and financial information

    5. 18

      Wise demanding detailed personal and financial information

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use