News Forum - Pattaya Music Festival begins tonight under Covid-19 safety measures

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Comon I know already that you not know anything about Salavan

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean Lam Savarane from Laos, songs with the title in them or a troupe called that? What I meant was modern mix of morlam mu/ploen that has been online a lot over the past few months pay to view, as no concerts were on. Lam Phu Thai is also from the Savarane area and was quite an influence on Thai morlam, Job and Joy in particular made some nice recordings in that style. You can see how difficult it is to discuss these topics when none can actually be shown.

One of the acts I saw online, Tree Chainarong luktung/morlam singer, reputed to have received over one million baht in tips for an online appearance with a morlam troupe a few weeks ago, mostly from woman I expect.  Another was morlam naam vihok with 15 year old singer Yuki, they say they had up to 100k sent in one week. No pics of them and video forbidden, I very much doubt many bands at the festival have been doing so well recently.

thumbnail.jpeg

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Sounds like you don't know what to do away from the pub. This is for fun and entertainment,  but you aren't required to go.

hahaha i am almost never in a pub... and i am not in Pattaya whatsoever, i am always busy but they wasting thwir money on things people do not care about at all

16 hours ago, ace035 said:

Just be patience, it will open on December 1, Thai government wanna make sure that the whole country is at least 70% fully vaccinated by reaching its herd immunity & not just in Pattaya..Bangkok..Phuket..or Chiang Mai, it's Thailand.

i do not really care i do not drink, but i know 90% of the people do so i think is insane this stupid rule

4 hours ago, Paco said:

i do not really care i do not drink, but i know 90% of the people do so i think is insane this stupid rule

Absolutely, bars & entertainment shutdown not an issue for reopening but still lots of farangs kept on coming to Pattaya and right now, they are complaining.

6 hours ago, Paco said:

hahaha i am almost never in a pub... and i am not in Pattaya whatsoever, i am always busy but they wasting thwir money on things people do not care about at all

People do care about music, it's far more part of Thai culture that people claim to have 'fallen in love with with' than they realise.

Why are western bands not allowed to perform ? I've lost count of the amount of times I've been in a decent restaurant, great food, nice staff, evening going well, and then the night is totally destroyed by live thai music

I love Thailand but if I could wave a magic wand - it would be to make all thai 'music' illegal and ban Channel 3 (ok two waves of the wand) !! How is it in a nation of 70m people in 2021 they still can't find anyone who can act !

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, ace035 said:

Just be patience, it will open on December 1, Thai government wanna make sure that the whole country is at least 70% fully vaccinated by reaching its herd immunity & not just in Pattaya..Bangkok..Phuket..or Chiang Mai, it's Thailand.

I’m afraid we can Forget herd immunity. Ireland has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and yet case numbers are surging. The U.K. isn’t far behind and the same situation. Vaccines protect you against hospitalisation and death. You can still contract and spread the virus. 

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

Why are western bands not allowed to perform ? I've lost count of the amount of times I've been in a decent restaurant, great food, nice staff, evening going well, and then the night is totally destroyed by live thai music

I love Thailand but if I could wave a magic wand - it would be to make all thai 'music' illegal and ban Channel 3 (ok two waves of the wand) !! How is it in a nation of 70m people in 2021 they still can't find anyone who can act !

I maybe wrong but could be to promote thai music and artists.

There are many beautiful songs and music produced by Thai musicians. I love thai songs and some of them are equally as good as western famous bands. Some songs and music are evergreen and stay with me for many years and I am still enjoying them. Thailand is not without its talents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

Because this year it's mainly for a Thai audience and also not many big foreign acts would want to come. I can't remember the number of times I have left a bar or restaurant when they started playing western music, this is Thailand and I love their music. Don't get too disappointed the acts on are mostly Thais performing western music ie rap and reggae. You are not one of those who fell in love with the culture then?

The line ups in Pattaya have always more or less ignored luktung the most popular musical style, they never did in other parts of the country especially the massive festival on HM birthday in Bangkok. It would be better to invite acts from other Asian countries like Band Maid from Japan or Vietnamese acts even than what they come up with every year, it's almost as if they want to hide the best music. We all like different styles but they seem determined just to promote some and not others-First night report

Edited by Sarisin

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Open your own restaurant and you can hire whatever type of band you want. It's like complaining that they are playing mariachi music in a Mexican restaurant, or Frank Sinatra in an Italian restaurant, or Marching Band music in a German restaurant (that's a joke btw).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Marching Band music in a German restaurant (that's a joke btw).

That's sick, you know Germans don't do Jokes 😉

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

True...because they should have just laughed at that angry little man with the silly mustache.

4 hours ago, gummy said:

I have a German neighbour, nice guy but always deadpan. I asked him why they had a reputation for not laughing at anything and he told me Germans don’t find anything funny (with a deadpan expression !!😀

4 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Open your own restaurant and you can hire whatever type of band you want. It's like complaining that they are playing mariachi music in a Mexican restaurant, or Frank Sinatra in an Italian restaurant, or Marching Band music in a German restaurant (that's a joke btw).

But that’s just it, I wouldn’t be allowed 

Where’s Frank singing nowadays then ?

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

Omg you must not understand Thai but you live here. There are all kinds of Thai music to chose from and some of the actor and a tortious are great. 

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Omg you must not understand Thai but you live here. There are all kinds of Thai music to chose from and some of the actor and a tortious are great. 

"some of the actor and a tortious are great". 

Could you put that into English please so we understand what you are talking about as this is an English Language forum,  or is that the answer and you expect us to guess what the question was ? 😂😂😂

I have apologised before in a previous post if English is not your 1st language to which you never answered

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

"some of the actor and a tortious are great". 

Could you put that into English please so we understand what you are talking about as this is an English Language forum,  or is that the answer and you expect us to guess what the question was ? 😂😂😂

I have apologised before in a previous post if English is not your 1st language to which you never answered

OK that what happen when the text editor screws up. I love the Thai actresses. American English is my first language and it's the most popular form, you know.

The best place to make party in south east asia is definitely Papua . Lots of festivals and not sit on a chair

Edited by Smithydog
Video removed as not in English and no subTitles

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

Papua New Guinea that ? If so the BBQ's after might be interesting

Yes , you mean thats why the low covid numbers are there?

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

Yes , you mean thats why the low covid numbers are there?

Not sure about that except they took an exception to a pop group in the '80s calling themselves "The Fine Young Cannibals"

59 minutes ago, gummy said:

Not sure about that except they took an exception to a pop group in the '80s calling themselves "The Fine Young Cannibals"

On their festivals at the moment I guess nobody count how many came and how many left after

Edited by Smithydog
Video removed as not in English and no subTitles

57 minutes ago, Stardust said:

On their festivals at the moment I guess nobody count how many came and how many left after

Who needs Woodstock? Papua is the place!

5 hours ago, gummy said:

I might add that the British aren't funny, so why laugh.